color
clarity

Emerald Cut - Online Purchase w/ Photograph and ASET

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok. Good.

Atx

Rough_Rock
So after looking at another 50 or so options online, I found an emerald cut from Martin at USACertedDiamonds that I am considering bringing in. No ASET, just a picture. Martin said it was the best of the bunch. Any red flags? To me it looks dark...am I reading the light reflection (or lack thereof) correctly? Thanks!

Here are the stats:
J
VS1
GIA
Flour: N
Pol: EX
Sym:EX
Measurements: 7.46x5.81x3.89
Ratio: 1.283
Depth: 66.9%
Table: 63.00%
Girdle: STK-TK

emeraldcut.png

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Without an ASET, it's hard to tell. The darkness you see in the picture is probably obstruction (blue in the ASET). Some blue is good, as it provides contrast and on/off flashes, but there can be too much. You can ask the vendor specifically about darkness/obstruction, though since they want to sell you the stone, I would take their analysis with a grain of salt.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful to me, I know you said no ASET but can they send a video-this way you can see how it looks when moved side to side? I am sure Gypsy and Julie N are better with still photos. I know I have read Martin is extremely experienced and trustworthy in the diamond world and you really wanted a 1.5 carat.

Atx

Rough_Rock
artdecolover71 said:
It looks beautiful to me, I know you said no ASET but can they send a video-this way you can see how it looks when moved side to side? I am sure Gypsy and Julie N are better with still photos. I know I have read Martin is extremely experienced and trustworthy in the diamond world and you really wanted a 1.5 carat.
Hi, in speaking with Martin he said that he couldn't provide any further information. He said if I required an ASET or video that he would send it directly to a New York appraiser, Mark Yakubov at AGI. I searched for him on the PS forums, but only found a few threads mentioning AGI. Martin suggested I look at diamondappraisers.net so that I could get more info about AGI. It did provide info, but there was no info on diamondappraisers.net as to who created/ran the website or if it was populated by paid ads. In sum, the process seems like a lot of hassle for information that is already readily available through the likes of JA, GOG, or WF. I'll still pursue it nonetheless.

urseberry|1395895885|3642125 said:
Without an ASET, it's hard to tell. The darkness you see in the picture is probably obstruction (blue in the ASET). Some blue is good, as it provides contrast and on/off flashes, but there can be too much. You can ask the vendor specifically about darkness/obstruction, though since they want to sell you the stone, I would take their analysis with a grain of salt.
I really appreciate the response. As an update, in a later conversation I asked the seller about the probable obstruction. His response usedterminology I'd yet to come across...something about what I was seeing was a result of a bow (???). Regardless, when I tried to refocus on the obstruction he again reiterated that it was information an appraiser could provide, without further elaboration. So, if this diamond is a winner, I guess the only option is the extra step, time, and money of sending to an 'independent' appraiser.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Was it "Bow tie"? Cause that's not good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results