shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut lab grown

waffle

Shiny_Rock
I have seen some beautiful lab cut diamonds on my bridal clients. The only cut I feel doesn’t look the same is the emerald cut. Do you think it was the specific stones that I saw? Or do you think that the emerald cuts are just not there yet. They looked glassy to me. Thank you so much!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s just what you have seen, not all cutters are the same. A diamond is a diamond.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like any other shape, the way an emerald cut diamond looks or performs is based mostly on the cut quality. Of course, color and clarity affect the appearance as well. A well cut emerald cut diamond will have beautiful light return, fire, and contrast pattern. It will not sparkle the same as a modern round brilliant, but will give off bright flashes of white light and fire. In larger stones, the flashes are especially large and dramatic.

Edited to add that you can check out the new Distinctive Emerald Cut lab diamonds by Distinctive Gem. Jonathan, @Rhino, has them cut to strict standards for optimal light performance in an emerald cut.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have seen some beautiful lab cut diamonds on my bridal clients. The only cut I feel doesn’t look the same is the emerald cut. Do you think it was the specific stones that I saw? Or do you think that the emerald cuts are just not there yet. They looked glassy to me. Thank you so much!

Interesting....my journey with Lab Grow diamonds began with an Emerald Cut- and I'm an emerald cut lover, and very particular.....
The best Lab Grown emerald Cuts are indistinguishable from natural stones.
BUT_ there's a lot of "drek" out there too....both from a cut standpoint as well as the material itself.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting....my journey with Lab Grow diamonds began with an Emerald Cut- and I'm an emerald cut lover, and very particular.....
The best Lab Grown emerald Cuts are indistinguishable from natural stones.
BUT_ there's a lot of "drek" out there too....both from a cut standpoint as well as the material itself.

I don't want to thread jack, but value your opinion. Do you recommend always staying away from CVD, or do you believe there is quality material out there as long as it's vetted?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you DG!
I have a different way of buying diamonds than the methods commonly recommended here because I am buying in person.
When shopping online, you basically have to find aspects such as the manufacturing method in an effort to weed out bad stones.
When I look at a stone, I don't let the manufacturing method affect my assessment of the stone itself. Remember, cut has a massive role in the desirability of a diamond.
For example- post growth treatments: If a beautifully cut stone that has had post growth treatments looks better than a mediocre cut that has not had PGT, I'd choose the better looking stone, if I was buying it for myself, or Sandra.
There are a percentage of consumers who do consider manufacturing method, and PGT
This plays a part in your consideration as the HPHT can be grown colorless- if you're looking for a colorless diamond.

I've had both CVD, and HPHT Emerald Cuts which were amazing! And also bad ones from CVD or HPHT.
Long story short- from my perspective it makes more sense not to broadly eliminate stones based on CVD vs HPHT...particularly in fancy shapes.

Last edited:

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you DG!
I have a different way of buying diamonds than the methods commonly recommended here because I am buying in person.
When shopping online, you basically have to find aspects such as the manufacturing method in an effort to weed out bad stones.
When I look at a stone, I don't let the manufacturing method affect my assessment of the stone itself. Remember, cut has a massive role in the desirability of a diamond.
For example- post growth treatments: If a beautifully cut stone that has had post growth treatments looks better than a mediocre cut that has not had PGT, I'd choose the better looking stone, if I was buying it for myself, or Sandra.
There are a percentage of consumers who do consider manufacturing method, and PGT
This plays a part in your consideration as the HPHT can be grown colorless- if you're looking for a colorless diamond.

I've had both CVD, and HPHT Emerald Cuts which were amazing! And also bad ones from CVD or HPHT.
Long story short- from my perspective it makes more sense not to broadly eliminate stones based on CVD vs HPHT...particularly in fancy shapes.

Thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it.

ariaaaa

Rough_Rock
Oooh one of the few threads I feel like I can jump in on!

My partner and I looked at both mined and grown emerald cuts from the beginning. There are definitely a lot of lab stones that are cut quite poorly with huge windows, but ones that are done well are gorgeous. Similarly for mined stones, I get the sense that there were fewer in the size range we were looking at, so I saw fewer poorly cut stones, but the ratio of well cut to poorly cut were probably similar across both types.

(if i am matching user names up correctly, i think my partner just sourced ours from @Rockdiamond ;)2)

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh one of the few threads I feel like I can jump in on!

My partner and I looked at both mined and grown emerald cuts from the beginning. There are definitely a lot of lab stones that are cut quite poorly with huge windows, but ones that are done well are gorgeous. Similarly for mined stones, I get the sense that there were fewer in the size range we were looking at, so I saw fewer poorly cut stones, but the ratio of well cut to poorly cut were probably similar across both types.

(if i am matching user names up correctly, i think my partner just sourced ours from @Rockdiamond ;)2)

How exciting! Please start a thread when you get your ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results