shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aarong22

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone and thanks for all of the posts -- They have taught me a TON.

I''m getting ready to pull the trigger and I''m looking at a couple of stones. My biggest concern is that while I like all of them none of them seem to sparkle enough for me (I guess thats in part Emerald cut and in part quality of cut). I saw some stones at Tiffany that really sparkled but it seemed like the sparkle cost a bit too much. That being said here are some specs -- THANKS AHEAD OF TIME FOR THE HELP

Stone 1:
3.02 carat
10.0x7.0x4.7mm
J Color
VS1
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Flor Faint
From the diagram of the diamond: 62% across (table?) / 66% height (depth?) / slightly thick - very thick (girdle) and very small at the bottom
This stone looks the biggest becuase it is biggest on top and is a bit elongated but that didnt bother me

Stone 2:
3.02 carat
9.1x7.0x4.9mm
I Color
VS2
Polish Good
Symmetry Very Good
Flor None
From the diagram of the diamond: 69% across (table?) / 69% height (depth?) / medium -thick (girdle?) and none at the bottom
This stone looks a bit smaller and is more suqared

Stone 3:
2.44 carat
9.0x7.2x4.4mm
G Color
VS1
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Flor None
From the diagram of the diamond: 68% across (table?) / 61% height (depth?) / thin -very thin (girdle?) and none at the bottom
This stone looks about the same size as 2 (even though its 1/2 carat lighter) and is more suqared and seems too have a bit more sparkle

Any advice or thoughts or questions would be tremendously appreciated.

THANK YOU

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion, but I like my emerald cuts G and higher. I also like them pretty symmetrical and on the squarerish side. It''s really a personal thing. When the table is bigger than the depth, you get a lot of the "glassy" reflective (not my favorite thing) look, but larger appearance. I say make sure you look at a lot of emerald cuts before you decide on "the one." If you have only looked at 3 so far, keep looking.
1.gif

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
May I open a can of worms and suggest you take a peak at radiants? They offer the emerald shape, albeit not step cut (and steps are beautiful), but lots of internal sparkle. I owned a 2 ct F emerald cut and, while it was beautiful, I was bored. It was regal but just, well, I wanted some sparks in the middle. I will say that emerald cuts do sparkle-especially around the perimeter, if you find a good one. Enjoy the process of looking.
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2007 4:07:04 PM
Author:aarong22

Stone 1:
3.02 carat
10.0x7.0x4.7mm
J Color
VS1
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Flor Faint
From the diagram of the diamond: 62% across (table?) / 66% height (depth?) / slightly thick - very thick (girdle) and very small at the bottom
This stone looks the biggest becuase it is biggest on top and is a bit elongated but that didnt bother me
I''d prefer a higher colour as in H and upward. For such a large carat weight, I''d stay G and better. The other stats look promising. How is the crown height? How is the step pattern?

Pass on #2. Too deep and too large a table.
Pass on #3. Too large a table which will give it a glassy look.

Unless you really like #1, keep looking.
Try to stay under 65% for both depth and table. This will ensure an EC that won''t face up too small. The crown height is important if you want the EC to be flashy.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I would want a 3+ carat EC to be in the colorless range (super picky color person here
25.gif
). Also, I would want VG or better in the symmetry.

Really, really need pics for ECs!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an "I" 1.72 and honestly if I would get above a 2.0 I would not buy an "I" again. The larger you get the easier it is to see color and EC is NOT a forgiving cut. I rather get a smaller VS/G-H stone.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
On paper I think the 2.44 would be my pick, if the cut is right. The roughly 2.5 c size in an EC is such a great size. I would not sacrifice color to go larger when you are already talking about a 2.44. If you were talking about 3/4 to 1.5 carats, I''d go more for size. Someone here has an M colored emerald cut that is really pretty, but I think it''s because the cut is so pretty and she has it in a really simple platinum setting. With EC''s it''s so important to see them, because what you think would be the best one on papaer might not be the best looking one.

Tacori, I love love love your ring. I had forgotten it''s an I, but then, it''s in platinum in a vintage style setting, surrounded by sapphires, so it''s really perfect for your setting. It''s beautiful and honestly one of my very favorites on the forum. I kinda miss seeing it on your avatar (but I love your pretty flowers!).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
EC MUST BE SEEN!

With that in mind, by the number alone. They are all NOs for me. The first one is the best-- but the symmetry is bad and its a J at 3 carats that's a lot of warmth and is really a personal choice issue. The second one is a waste of carat weight and has only good polish plus the table is just too big. The the third is the worst of the lot despite the G: symmetry, table and gridle are all bad.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=937603 (best bet in terms of size and price)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1019655 (least expensive and smallest but I'd personally sacrifice the size to get a nicer stone)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=863060

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=1027631

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=823185

I'd ask about the whole facetted girdle thing though on a couple of those.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 1:24:43 AM
Author: lumpkin
Tacori, I love love love your ring. I had forgotten it''s an I, but then, it''s in platinum in a vintage style setting, surrounded by sapphires, so it''s really perfect for your setting. It''s beautiful and honestly one of my very favorites on the forum. I kinda miss seeing it on your avatar (but I love your pretty flowers!).

Oh, you are so sweet! Maybe I''ll have to change my AV now
27.gif
I think in most lights it is very white and certainly faces up white. I just think with a stone almost double mine it would show a lot more color. I agree my sapphires and PLT do help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results