shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut earring question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ebranger

Rough_Rock

Last year I purchased a 3-stone platinum engagement ring that was .81 ct, F color, and VS1 clarity, ideal cut. The side stone were .25 ct and matched the color, cut, and clarity of the center stone.

With the wedding two months away, I''m thinking of buiying emerald cut stud earrings as a wedding gift. My questions are: 1) what is a good size to match the ring? I''m thinking .25-.30ct?)? 2) How important is it to match the color, cut, and clarity of the ring? Can I get away with a lower color and clarity on earrings? 3) Is matching the platinum from the ring a must? 4) What do you think an average estimate would be for these earrings?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Eric

hoorray

Ideal_Rock

I don't think you have to match the platinum -- they are separated enough that it won't matter. In general, you can go much lower in color and clarity for earrings. I don't know how low with ECs tho -- you'd probably need to see them or get advice from someone who knows more than I do.

FWIW...I've tried on EC earrings, being an EC fan, and didn't like them. They spin so that they are never lined up with each other. If you really want to go this route (which I think is very thoughtful), I'd consider square emerald cuts so that the spinning isn't as obvious.

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock

I wouldn''t worry about matching metals for the earrings. No one will know that they are not platinum.

A good size I think would be 1/2ctw. Emerald cuts have a nice spread to begin with. They will look quite large at that size.

As for the color, I would still stick with a good color, only because of the white gold or platinum studs you choose. But clarity, you could even go down in those. I have seen some really nice Si2-I1''s in .25 pointers.

emteeth.gif

ebranger

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! Any thoughts on what an average price might be?

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
I think studs are kind of problematic with respect to spinning for both square and rectangular emeralds. I would consider a dropped style, which can still be small. I''ll hunt around for a photo now.

ebranger

Rough_Rock
If you could find a photo that would be great! Thanks!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Here is a pic showing kind of what I mean, except gold with a round stone. I think the style of setting is called french wire. I have serveral pairs of earrings in this style and I like them because they are quite secure (most have a locking clasp) and small but not studs.

earrings14575.jpg

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like the stud look of the earrings. The cost would probably run $600 +.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results