shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald cut diamond ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

01 SOM SS

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a 0.82 ct emerald cut solitare. It was graded by IGI as G-H, VS-2, Good/Good. The major concern I have is the fact that it contains what appears to be a carbon inclusion that is barely visible to the naked eye. I looked at it under a 10x scope, and didn''t notice anything else unusual. Should I be concerned. The appraisal value on the card is 7000-7500. The price I can purchase it for is $1800. I know most people here are not fans of IGI, but I am looking for a decent engagement ring, and this seems like a fair deal. Should I pass? I don''t know much about diamonds, so any help is appreciated.

BTW, I pointed out the inclusion to the jeweler, and he did acknowledge that it was there, but he said that any inclusion would be much more noticable in an emerald stone due to the cut. Is this true?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
ECs definitely show their inclusions more clearly than brilliant cut diamonds. That is why it is necessary to go higher in clarity in order to get an eye clean EC. I would not buy an IGI graded diamond. I cannot tell you what to do about this diamond. You have seen it, so does the inclusion bother you? Can you live with it, or will you always be staring at it? Can it be covered by a prong? It sounds to me like you are worried about the inclusion and it might not be something you can forget about. In that case I would pass. I would not go below an accurately graded VS2 EC diamond.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The catch... from your description the clarity may not be better than SI2 in GIA terms (color ? down to I it would be hard to notice anything given the size) and the stone is definitely worth the money you paid not near the freaking silly apprailsa value.

I'd rather have an eye clean EC for 2k.

Another thing... the diamonds that get second-tier lab reports (or none) also come often with undesirable cut details (small size for weight, thin girdles, lack of brilliance...). Sure, it doesn't have to be the case and I can't know if it is or not without any details about your stone. The 'stats' on the IGI lab report would help a bit... if you wanted to list them.

I am not so disinchanted with so-so lab reports (or none, for that matter), as long as the crazy markings on paper are not taken as a suggestion of quality that is not there
7.gif
Aside the IGI or GIA or AGS or whatever, a diamond is a diamond...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2006 11:30:34 PM
Author:01 SOM SS

... he said that any inclusion would be much more noticeable in an emerald stone due to the cut. Is this true?

Maybe, but that's no excuse for the presence of smudge in a VS2 graded stone below 1 ct
11.gif
Totally unrelated.

If they didn't call it 'VS2' would you have even taken a look?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally love eye clean ECs but it all about what you are comfortable with. If you love the stone and the inclusion doesn''t bother you than I think you hae found your stone. I agree it is hard to know its value because it was not GIA appraised and many posters have been surprised (in a bad way) when they got their IGI re-appraised.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
a .82 gia graded h-vs2 goes for between $2670 and $2905 with low online markups.
If it could be sent to GIA and for under $200 in grading fees be worth $1000 more, why would they sell it for $1800?

While a vs2 graded EC can have a visible inclusion a big carbon inclusion screams s1-2
A g-si2 gia graded is around $2200 online.
Couldnt find an H-si2 in that size range.

At best Id say its a gia h-si2 but more likely a I-si2 at that price range.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2006 11:42:29 PM
Author: valeria101
The catch... from your description the clarity may not be better than SI2 in GIA terms

LOL we were thinking the same thing :}

Val knows EC''s so listen to her.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
dear o1 som ss,
an emerald cut is what pros call a "step cut": this means that the facets are paralel to the outline as opposed to "brilliant" cuts which have facets running from outline to the center.
because of its particular facet arrangement, it is easier to locate any internal characteristic with emerald cuts.
let me try to explain this:
each facet is a window allowing you to look into the stone.
when you look at the few photos (links below), you will quickly notice that the ''windows'' of an emerald cut allow the viewer to see easily much more and faster,so,
when comparing a vs2 emerald cut with a vs2 round or marquise or pear or oval or radiant or princess, usually the inclusion(s) in the emerald cut will stand out stronger.
this is what they teach you in any gemological school, including gia.
as for the igi report, most users are intoxicated with inaccurate info about igi, info produced by some traders with a very specific agenda, so don''t pay too much attention, or, ask them to produce proof of what they say, or, just take the stone you like to another independent appraiser without mentioning the existence of the igi report and verify.
good luck to you.
robbe

http://www.wexfordcoin.com/Diamonds/images/EmeraldCut.gif
http://diamondsbylauren.com/images/05/08/521a.JPG
http://diamondss.com/imgupload/p_16970976_1467450.jpg

robbe

Shiny_Rock
...as for the igi report, most users are intoxicated with inaccurate info about igi...
users--> i mean users on this forum...
robbe

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robbe can you prove that IGI grading is as accurate as that of GIA or AGS? I don't believe that users of this forum are " intoxicated" with negative info about IGI. People will form their own opinions and that is a pretty generalized statement.
1.gif
What is the info you believe that forum members are " intoxicated" with regarding IGI which is wrong? I would really like to hear your opinions on this. Also this is a very old thread and I doubt the person who asked the original question is even here now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results