shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indi5

Rough_Rock
Okay, my fiance and I have been searching months for an emerald cut diamond. Unfortunately I am a stickler for quality and am looking for a well cut emerald cut diamond. We cannot seem to find dimensions for a well cut emerald. Based on what we have been able to find we have narrowed it down to the two diamonds below. Both are priced at $5500. Which is the better cut?

Wt/Color/Clarity: 1.07 / E / VVS2
Dimensions: 7.04x5.04x3.43
Depth: 68.1%
Table: 67%
Girdle: Med to Slightly Thick
Polish/Symm: Good/Good
Flourescence: None
Waiting on the Sarin report for more detail.

Wt/Color/Clarity: 1.08/G/VS1
Dimensions: 7.32x5.23x3.22
Depth: 61.6
Table: 67%
Girdle: Thin to Med
Polish/Symm: VG/VG
Flourescence: None
Crown Ht: 5.7
Crown Angle: 22.7
PAvil Depth: 51.9

Which is the better cut and is this a good price? We are leaning towards the E VVS2 because of the color and clarity but honestly when you look at them side by side the difference is minimal.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Who's doing the grading? (GIA certs, EGL certs, other?)

The E/VVS2 certainly is a higher grade stone for the same money. I'd like to see the Sarin statistics before commenting further.

That's a pretty small crown on the G/VS1...

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

indi5

Rough_Rock
They both have GIA certs. I am gong to get the Sarin report on the E/VVS2 tomorrow. Will post then. Yes, I thought the measurements on the G/VS1 was small. What would be more adviseable measurements--. :))

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Because of the nature of the rough crystals emerald cuts are fashioned from, they often have "shallow" crowns. The 5.7% crown is a good example. Probably a pretty stone, but will lack some of the dispersive colored light return a higher crown stone will have. The higher crown forms a longer prism which breaks exiting light up into the "rainbow" colors.

It's good if the crown gets up over 10 or 11%. Then you'll start to see more "fire" coming out of the bezel area of the crown.

Check out Dave Atlas's charts for fancy shapes. Here's the connection: http://www.gemappraisers.com/chrt3.htm. You'll see on there that the 5.7% crown height falls in the (way) below average category.

By the way, I admire you going after an emerald cut. It just reeks class, and understated elegance. A very sexy stone.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laborator

indi5

Rough_Rock
Okay I got the Sarin report for the second diamond (1.07\E\VVS2).

Crown ht: 8
Crown Angle: 26.4
Pavil Depth: 55.3

Is the crown height still too low? Should I keep looking or should I go for the E / VVS2? I think $5500 is a reasonable price for both stones considering the difficutly of finding a well cut emerald cut diamond.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are looking to buy this weekend and are desperately looking for help.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results