shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut diamond - keep it or keep looking?

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I just received a three-stone emerald cut lab grown diamond ring with tapered baguettes and I’d love to get some outside opinions on the center diamond.

It’s a 3.03ct E VS2 and while I’ve owned an emerald cut diamond before, it was substantially smaller. I’ve taken a few videos of it in different lighting and wondering if others can weigh in on whether it’s a keeper or not. I absolutely love the color, size, and clarity on it and it’s so sparkly in some lighting. However, I think I see some windowing just above and below the keel (in the still pictures and some of the videos I think you can see the color of my skin coming through the diamond in those spots) and I’m not sure if it’s normal for larger emerald cuts to be dark in the middle when in direct sunlight. Is it “dancing the light” enough?

Thanks to lots of searching and price matching, I was able to purchase the diamond at just under $400/carat so it was a “good deal”. So what do you think, keep it or keep looking? Thanks for your help!

Loupe365 video: https://loupe360.com/diamond/LG564386671

IGI cert: 62A178F1-CBFB-4E49-BB7B-7DCBEDE84303.png

Videos of the ring in different lighting:
Indirect light: Direct sun: Sun backlit: Indoors by window: Indoors:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The windowing would personally bother me (but that's just my own opinion). It's overall a lovely ring and the stone looks nice, but I would just be driven insane by the window

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
The windowing would personally bother me (but that's just my own opinion). It's overall a lovely ring and the stone looks nice, but I would just be driven insane by the window

Thank you for sharing! The black triangle-type shapes showing near the keel is the windowing right? DAA105C2-5614-43E2-9A26-5515EE6E94E2.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for sharing! The black triangle-type shapes showing near the keel is the windowing right? DAA105C2-5614-43E2-9A26-5515EE6E94E2.jpeg

IMHO no. At least that's not what I was talking about. I meant the rectangle in the middle that is see through at many angles (at least from the videos). Terrible screenshot of your video, but I tried to circle what I meant. Screenshot_20230518_123236_Chrome.jpg

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
IMHO no. At least that's not what I was talking about. I meant the rectangle in the middle that is see through at many angles (at least from the videos). Terrible screenshot of your video, but I tried to circle what I meant. Screenshot_20230518_123236_Chrome.jpg

Ooh got it. Yes, I’ve noted that area too. Wasn’t sure if it was a normal emerald cut thing!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not at my pc but 3 is the only one at a glance worth looking into further.
Questions are is it eyeclean and are there crystal issues.
@DejaWiz @Kim N
Then more pics and see if you can get an ASET image for it.

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz @Kim N

Thank you for taking a quick glance. If you have time to answer one last question, I’m curious what was not promising about the first diamond since it has a similar crown height to the one you liked?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking two and three are the best of these four picks.
Would love to see videos of them in various lighting as well as ASETs if possible.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@DejaWiz @Kim N
Now that I am at my computer #3 is also a no.
It is highly likely to have fuzzy areas.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for taking a quick glance. If you have time to answer one last question, I’m curious what was not promising about the first diamond since it has a similar crown height to the one you liked?
Overall to much reaction to obstruction(dark zones) and if you compare it to 3 when its moving, 3 is much more lively.
Click on the stone in the video area and move the mouse side to side to rotate it manually.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Face up the second one has a long wide bar of leakage just to the right on the culet.
It does dance very well in motion but face up that bar is going to show.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
You can reach out to Yuketiel at ID Jewelry in NYC and tell him your a member of PriceScope. He can likely source some good options for you. He as access to an ASET scope/camera and can take photos and videos for you. (Unless you live near NYC and can go see him). It's not easy to find them by yourself and there seems to be a limited amount of good ones out there at the moment.
I find step cuts particularly difficult to weed out. Karl is the step cut guru on here. I'm not an expert.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like any of the 6 choices, sorry! What is your budget, preferred size/color/clarity?

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
I don't like any of the 6 choices, sorry! What is your budget, preferred size/color/clarity?

Totally feel you on that. My budget is very limited at $1100 for the stone. I’m looking at 2.9ct and above, G+ VS2+.

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
You can reach out to Yuketiel at ID Jewelry in NYC and tell him your a member of PriceScope. He can likely source some good options for you. He as access to an ASET scope/camera and can take photos and videos for you. (Unless you live near NYC and can go see him). It's not easy to find them by yourself and there seems to be a limited amount of good ones out there at the moment.
I find step cuts particularly difficult to weed out. Karl is the step cut guru on here. I'm not an expert.

I love ID Jewelry! Purchased a beautiful yellow diamond from them awhile ago. Unfortunately, D.Nea (where these 6 stones were sourced by) can’t seem to be beat on price and I’m on a strict budget.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I get it, and maybe it’s worth sticking with D.Nea until you hit on ”the one”, but it might also be worth taking the time and saving up some more. I guess it all depends on your tolerance and what you’re willing to accept for your money. It’s all relative! Good luck!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO you should either lower your carat requirements, or save until you have more options. I think the budget and size combo makes finding a great stone unlikely

SeattleiteGirl

Rough_Rock
So appreciate everyone’s help on this thread! I took the wise advice on here and reached out to IDJ. I ended up lowering my carat requirements and increasing my budget a little and Alina found me a beautiful stone! It’s a 2.79ct H VS1 that faces up exactly the same size as the 3.03 I sent back but the difference in light performance is night and day!!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Can’t wait to see the stone when it comes in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results