shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut Color and Clarity

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
What is the minimum color for an Emerald cut stone? I know that the color and clarity is very important with this cut. Is and SI2 to low in clarity for this stone? I am thinking of buying it online and I am concerned without seeing the stone.

Thanks
twirl.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
This is a question that should be answered on a stone-by-stone basis. Ask your vendor if the stone faces up extremely white, and if it is 100% eye clean from about 3 inches away (not the standard 12 inches) and if you'll be able to see any inclusions through the table, pavilion, girdle, etc. (I didn't want a stone in which I could see a single inclusion no matter which way I turned it). Also, as I'm sure you've read, some people are more sensitive to color. I definitely am, but my "I" faces up so white that the slight warmth of the stone in certain lighting is something I can deal with (and kinda like--I've always liked cream over ivory). I just refused to have a stone that showed a lot of yellow (and some "G's" I saw actually seemed to show more color than mine when face up). Anyway, sorry I couldn't give you an exact answer!

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for replying. Thanks for the advice!!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
No problem
1.gif
I wish I could tell you something that would REALLY help, but I can't. Although my stone is a princess it's still in that fancy cut group so I was told it would really show it's color (and because of the size the color would be even more visible). At first I was scared to go below an "F", but after seeing more stones than I care to ever again, I realized that there are lots of beautiful stones in the near colorless range. Just make sure the certificate is GIA or AGS (possibly EGL USA) if you're looking at stones graded SI1 or lower and I or lower (otherwise you may be getting a stone that's actually lower in color and/or clarity).

Jean

Shiny_Rock
It is actually and 1.24ct, E, SI2....... Emerald cut..... since it is online it is so hard to tell. Princess cuts are beautiful as well and I was thinking of that cut possibly too. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results