shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald cut - brilliance, fire, scintillation

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

schmancy

Rough_Rock
In comparing 2 emerald cut stones, I noticed that in one, I seemed to see right into the stone. In the other, my eye focused more on the surface of the stone, and I thought the stone seemed brighter. I preferred the second stone, although part of the appeal of the emerald cut to me is that the depth of the stone is revealed. Could someone explain to me how this phenomenon relates to the concepts of brilliance, fire and scintillation for emerald cuts, and how these are tied to cut angles? Thanks.

alla

Rough_Rock
Can you see through any of these stones? If you can, it is so called a window effect. In this case the stone' proportions are wrong.

It seems in the second case you see the luster from the table while in the first one you see reflection from pavilion.

I can guess the second stone has a shallow pavilion so all you can see is a reflection (luster) from the surface.

First one sounds like a right cut and you can see reflection from pavilion i.e. light return.

Emerald cut doesn't have much brilliance comparing to round brilliant. Well-cut emerald stone should have a good balance of the light return and the luster.

schmancy

Rough_Rock
thanks, ala.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results