shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut bezel project

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hello, I decided to create a thread while I figure out what to do with my new emerald cut stone. It has a few inclusions, is a bit deep, scored a Ritani's 1 out of 6 as an pretty unlikely stone, but I find it charming. Indecently, this is the same problem I had with men in my 20's :D.

I don't want to take over a different thread yammering about how to set this stone (not what that thread if for, thanks for your patience) but I recognize it is likely I will be begging for help with a wax, design, proportions (I have no clue what I am doing there). The stone is a 1.7ct L with very strong blue fluorescence. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=6431416590&locale=en_US

The idea is to set it in a natural or organic type setting that matches the organic qualities. My thoughts are a Sholdt fern bezel of some sort. I could see the mirror effect of this stone contrasting nicely with a frosty yellow gold texture. I would do a 1/2 bezel, but as a SI2, I am a little afraid of protecting the stone. Then again, life is short, I can buy insurance. These are thoughts to ponder. Looking at the report, it looks like the NS is mostly free of inclusions, so maybe a bezel set that way.

The diamond pictures and a couple of videos below.

Under black light:
20240229_205641.jpg
20240229_105931.jpg
20240229_105136.jpg
20240301_080308.jpg

Outside, you can see the UV influence

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
Whatever stone brings you joy... that is the measure of its value to you, and only you. Congrats on her purchase!

I look forward to seeing the designs you consider.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, I decided to create a thread while I figure out what to do with my new emerald cut stone. It has a few inclusions, is a bit deep, scored a Ritani's 1 out of 6 as an pretty unlikely stone, but I find it charming

AAAHHH!!! It's so great!! I really like it :kiss2::kiss2:
I don't have any advice, unfortunately; just admiration

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that Ritani gave it this pitiful number and you were still willing to give it a try. Goes to show you that you can’t go by anyone else’s opinion when it comes to diamonds.

My only custom project nearly put me in the ground, not because DK wasn’t lovely to work with, but because I just don’t have the patience or attention to detail required. I very much look forward to watching your process though.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love that Ritani gave it this pitiful number and you were still willing to give it a try. Goes to show you that you can’t go by anyone else’s opinion when it comes to diamonds.

My only custom project nearly put me in the ground, not because DK wasn’t lovely to work with, but because I just don’t have the patience or attention to detail required. I very much look forward to watching your process though.

:) I definitely double-checked I could return it if I got it home and didn't love it.

I love DK's work. Is your new sapphire ring the ring you are referring to? I am still loving it. I did talk with Sholdt a bit more about the setting. I will wait a bit to see where a couple of ebay auctions end up to know how I should move forward. I assured darling hubby I would sell some inventory before adding to the stable :D.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:) I definitely double-checked I could return it if I got it home and didn't love it.

I love DK's work. Is your new sapphire ring the ring you are referring to? I am still loving it. I did talk with Sholdt a bit more about the setting. I will wait a bit to see where a couple of ebay auctions end up to know how I should move forward. I assured darling hubby I would sell some inventory before adding to the stable :D.

Smart, but thankfully it turned out to be so beautiful. I might have missed but what color gold are you thinking? Or maybe platinum?

The star sapphire ring is somewhere around 154 years old, found it on IG, the band is a replacement, they did not do a great job soldering the new band to the top, pretty sloppy but as long as it holds….

DK made my Goldilocks ring:

89C9A53A-6AF1-44A8-A7DB-609909083BB1.jpeg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh, Goldilocks! I need to go stalk what you have been up to. What a charming setting from DK!

What an AMAZING find for the ruby. I read through this thread. What an exciting purchase...I mean, if you have to ask if a star sapphire is real, you did so well! :D.

Back to work for now, but coming back later to check out more posts.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
For someone who usually just sets everything in a solitaire, I am feeling quite overcome by possibilities. I just read a thread on BG's bezel set policies, and the resulting conversation about the fact a bezel setting may harm a stone.

Now I am worried and re-thinking the bezel altogether.
@YadaYadaYada I see what you mean.

Indecision is so annoying and 8:13AM is too early for wine.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think a good jeweler would tell you if the bezel will damage the stone, the BG policy is IMO out of an abundance of caution.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I would think a good jeweler would tell you if the bezel will damage the stone, the BG policy is IMO out of an abundance of caution.

Very good point. I also will not likely reset this ring in the future.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Let me add this as a more budget friendly contender. I have always had good luck with Ritani quality in their settings. Also, as I bought the diamond there, I won't have any outside diamond upcharges or anything.

Screenshot 2024-02-24 155252.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The color of tinfoil does nothing for her. :D Definitely yellow gold for her.

1000003111.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know you could probably find some yellow foil or rose at a craft store and see how they would look. I agree the white doesn’t do her proper justice.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Dropping other budget-y options. Between Ritani and James Allen.

Screenshot 2024-03-02 092352.png Screenshot 2024-03-02 091719.png Screenshot 2024-03-02 092158.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Now I'm just being silly, but Gigi likes the crinkleball setting.

20240302_093356.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I actually just went to a local brick and mortar and found a perfect setting g. So, this is done. A 3.3 wide plain solitaire. Shown in white gold, but ordered in yellow. The 18k was pretty crazy in price, so went with the 14k. I chatted with one of the owners who said it was pretty eye clean for a si2. So yay. And honestly I think this will show off the stone.

In addition, we chatted about natural vs mined. I told him I missed the low color in a natural. He said a few people have returned from lab to purchase natural. Personally, I am happy with both.

1000003131.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results