shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut and Ideal Scope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Well the diamond came in the mail today. I am very please with the level of Scintallation. The corners, although leaking the most light, sparkle more then I thought possible with a EC. Clarity was tops too, the only inclusion I thought I found with a loupe was infact a small fiber.

The only thing that has got me thinking is my Ideal scope. Looking dead on the diamond is mostly pink, with two expections. First are the corners, but this is to be expected with an EC. The second are two lines along the length of the diamond. These are equally spaced on each side. If I rotate or tilt the stone, they turn pink.. ? Is that good or bad?

The depth is 67% and I guess I am seeing the effect of that.

With the Ideal Scope, how much dark red should I expect from a good stone? It is all very pink with the expection of the two panes.

I know it is all very subjective testing but Im looking for a little more insight on using the Ideal Scope with an EC.
errrr.gif

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Here is a link to the picture supplied by the vendor. You really dont need the ideal scope to see what I am talking about..

http://dave.urbasic.net/dump/timeslip/pics2.jpg

caution, the pic is rather large..

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
There's a picture here of what a well-cut EC looks like under the IS:
https://www.pricescope.com/idealscope_fancy.asp

urbasic

Rough_Rock
Yes I have seen that...

I am going to the diamond district to have it appraised. Hopefully I will find some one to appraise it and show me some more ECs to compare it to.

I went to the mall stores again for a comparison and it does look better then everything I saw. Everything there is coffee colored with huge tables. For 40% less I know I have something twice as good. Even online, it is very difficult to find an ideal cut EC that is relativly clear and colorless. If you stray from the Atlas grading chart, you can find many diamonds but the only way to tell if one is is any good is to get many diamonds infront of you to compare. This is sort of difficult and frustrating online.

Goodoldgold does a nice write up..

urbasic

Rough_Rock
I know ECs arent the most popular cut but, any thoughts? Anyone?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I think the problem is that people aren't used to using the IS to look at ECs, so there are few who are capable of answering your question.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results