shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut 2.03 ct??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spoon

Rough_Rock
Greetings! I have an offer on the following diamond and would really appreciate an opinion. Here goes:
Emerald cut 2.03ct
Clarity VVS2
Colour G
Girdle medium 3.5% polished
Culet - linear
Table width 61%
Cr. height 14%
Pav. depth 51%
Finish grade Good
HRD certificate
I am not to sure about the depth on this one. The offer on the table is $14,780. Is that a good deal or not?? Very many thanks in advance. Sandi F
read.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the measurements?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, just for buying the MASS of the diamond (since I can't tell much about the appearence....see post above) the price is quite average,meaning the stone could be a decenmt buy if looks appealing and has a good cut. Going down in price will probably require homework (such as WWW ). And, by the way: why VVS2 and not Vs2?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look very good. Depth should be 68.5% or so.
1.gif
Ana, VVS 2 is great for emerald cuts because they have less facet and don't hid inclusions (or color) very well. At this size, many VS 2 won't be completely eye-clean. VVS 2 is great if you don't want to take a chance.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/22/2003 12:43:13 PM Giangi wrote:

At this size, many VS 2 won't be completely eye-clean. VVS 2 is great if you don't want to take a chance.
1.gif
----------------

I agree VVS is safter, but risk aversion has its price. Since one can pick and choose (at least to some extent) among lower clarities for an eye clean EC-VS2, I believe each buyer should know that they do not HAVE to pay that premium. Of course, unless the VVS class is a goal in itself, which deserves all respect. However, this grade has to be chosen, not enforced upon the buyer, I guess. I would still be very nervous buying any diamond sight unseen, since clarity only guarantees that much. So, if you still must go through the process of inspecting the stone before final purchase, it is my impression that such safety-premiums (such as higher clarity and color grades, regardless of the appearence of the thing) are overkill.

Again, my message above was just trying to make sure that the grades have been chosen considering their visual as well as financial effect. Hope this was not tooooo bad...

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ana, you are a clever gal.
1.gif
I agree with you, but if he's buying on line (is he?
confused.gif
), a VVS 2 or VS 1 would be the way to go to have no bad surprises...
2.gif
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Giangi, Thanks for bringing the talk home.

I wander wether anyone really buys diamonds 'from the Internet'. I guess the buying scenario is just a tad different from the regular buy, assuming you don't want the first thing you see in the jeweler's shop window. In version one, the buyer asks the jeweler to procure a few diamonds within certain parameters (say the basic 4Cs plus Cost), the buyer sees those, picks one and has a ring made/set. In version two, the buyer orders a tone from an online seller, inspects it at home and then decides to keep it and have it set or to return it and get another diamond from the Internet to repeat the procedure.

In both versions, the buyer does inspect the goods in person. In version one, the buyer assesses the quality of the stone based on the other few stones at hand, the certs, and the testimony of the seller. In version two, one gets the certs and the stone. At present, the internet sellers provide better info about the stones (Internet is an informational medium, so internet diamodns are bodies of information after all, before you hold the thing) to compensate for the stryking visual impact. B&M stores can still rely on the beauty of any damn' diamond as compared with whatever chips of glass around. So, buying from the net is harder work, but a more precize and informed choice. Of course, B&M's can offer the same load of info aside the usual 'romancing the stone' work, but now few do.

So? Buying an eye clean VS2 EC may take more time if done on the net, since one may expect to handle a few included stones even after all the paper work (including inclusion plots) seems right. Demanding magnified pictures (10X or more) can even shorten this and fully compensate for handling the stone. Someone could argues that the inclusions one sees in a 10X will dissapear 'in person': still the amount of immagination still demanded to make the difference is not all that great.

However, THIS IS A TEORETICAL DISCUSSION, no harm intended.

spoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all of you comments. I just love this forum! I am new here so have had a bit of finger trouble so you will have to bear with me! I actually have the stone in my possession, on trial from a local jeweller. To my untrained eye it looks like a pretty stone. The pav. depth though should be greater should it not?? The measurements are:

8.28 x 6.23 x 4.27mm Look forward to talking to you all again.

Rgerads,

Sandi

P.S. I am actually female!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------- The pav. depth though should be greater should it not?? The measurements are:
8.28 x 6.23 x 4.27mm Look forward to talking to you all again.

----------------

All those parameters are just so. I have no reason to believe that this stone should be any deeper: in fact, I would have liked it less deep, with a thinner girdle. But the rest is just great. Overall, you've got one of the few lucky EC's to get such a fine profile. While less total depth could not hurt, this is really no issue at all. The proportions of the stone (1.32 L/W) are closer to square than whatever is consider norm (1.5, I guess) but these are really a matter of taste, and this last comment is just said to be said.

I see no detraction at all. You have a stone as nice by numbers as you say it is in person...

spoon

Rough_Rock
Hi Ana,

You are absolutley right about the shape. I took the stone to another jeweller in town and when I compared it with another emerald cut, the shape is indeed on the square side. I do prefer the more traditional emerald cut. So, I have returned the stone and asked the same guy to find another one. He has said that he can make a ring for me with a mounting which included 2 x 1/2 carat trillions either side, same quality, for $17K which I think is pretty reasonable.

I'll let you konow the outcome! And, many thanks again for all of your advice.

Regards,

Sandi

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have just done a little research and found many other stones that have the same size, quality, and color for less money and they have a g.i.a cert. which is more acceptable in the u.s.a.
I think you should do a bit more research on the web.
there are better deals out there.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results