shape
carat
color
clarity

Embassy Emeralds- anyone out there?

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Well everyone, EE is supposedly shipping me some stones to evaluate this weekend.... we'll see how it goes. I pulled the bling trigger (love this phrase @missy lol) early this morning, but haven't heard back from EE to confirm anything yet. Can't wait to lay eyes on the stones, to get an idea of true color, clarity, etc etc. If all checks out and my gemologist says they are good-to-go for setting then I'll have a new pair of studs ; )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well everyone, EE is supposedly shipping me some stones to evaluate this weekend.... we'll see how it goes. I pulled the bling trigger (love this phrase @missy lol) early this morning, but haven't heard back from EE to confirm anything yet. Can't wait to lay eyes on the stones, to get an idea of true color, clarity, etc etc. If all checks out and my gemologist says they are good-to-go for setting then I'll have a new pair of studs ; )
I’m hoping you love them. I was going to ask you for an update. Thanks for updating us. I’m still aggravated BG didn’t get back to you. They just posted a drop dead gorgeous pair of Muzo ($$$$$$$$) on Instagram, so I don’t know why they never got back to you, but oh well. I’m excited you at least have some stones coming your way.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@T L, thanks for the kind words! I am hoping I love them too : )
I've never custom-made anything before, so this is exciting for me, the idea of sourcing my own stones, deciding on them, and putting them into a setting : ) I want a very simple setting, but it is still exciting nevertheless.

I'll be sure to keep everyone posted along the way! I have an appointment set with my gemologist for this Saturday evening, so I do hope the stones arrive in time on Saturday. My biggest fear is that the stones won't be the color I'm wanting (too light) or will be too damaged for me to feel comfortable setting, but we'll see how it goes. This set is supposedly sourced from Muzo....

I'm not sure about BG either, but perhaps their pricing is similar to George's anyway @ $3k a carat. (Still I'd love to see this set of stunners you speak of on Instagram lol)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL! If I only needed 1 stone 3k/ct wouldn't be so bad, but alas, I need 1 for each ear!
I suspect these are way more than $3k/ct, but if you look up the term Muzo color, they should show these. I’m sorry, emeralds are my favorite gem, and when I see stones like this, I turn into a puddle of saliva. I think I could stare at this video all day, so I can imagine how amazing they must be in person. Ok, I’m done gushing now!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
hahaha ; ) @T L, you are in good company! I've wanted a pair of simple, "everyday" emerald studs for some time now. The color is just hypnotic.

Reactions: T L

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Well everyone the emeralds have arrived from EE! (No tracking information was provided to me, despite me asking twice for it, they just showed up at my door about an hour ago.) At least they are here!
My first impression: there are visible "silver" inclusions that I noticed as soon as I unwrapped them. Curious what my gemologist will say. Very difficult to photograph, but I tried nonetheless (I will say the clarity is otherwise good and I'm a bit on the fence about the color- they photograph darker and I know will appear darker once set. They do have a nice fire):

IMG_20190518_112828842.jpg IMG_20190518_112812738~2.jpg IMG_20190518_113232823~2.jpg IMG_20190518_113054741_HDR~2.jpg

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Wow they are beautiful. I would have been on absolute tenterhooks without tracking information though :eek2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well at least you got a nice black pouch!! I can’t believe how bad their communication is!!

They were $3k, right?

They’re a very pretty pair.

ETA: plop one of them on top of an empty setting to get an idea of how they’ll look once set. Maybe you can visit a jewelry store and see.

Last edited:

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Have you louped them to “count” the surface reached inclusions?

Yummy and big looking! See them with dark color background to compare.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s another Columbian emerald wholesaler that is owned by a Columbian family in Florida. If you’re not happy with these, maybe ask them. They sell a wide variety of quality, and even loose uncut crystals. They’re at least based in the United States, a

I never dealt with them, but you may want to check them out as well if you send these back.

https://jrcolombianemerald.com/

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it! My gemologist is at my favorite local jeweler today and I have an appointment with her in about an hour : ) Can't with to get her take.
I'll be sure to post an update afterwards!
I am also hoping she'll have some loose settings to play around with too ; )

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Wow they are beautiful. I would have been on absolute tenterhooks without tracking information though :eek2:

To be completely honest I was sweating even knowing they were a "reputable company" and PSers had done business with them. I've never had such an encounter when making a jewelry purchase.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Sigh. Well everyone, not good news on setting the emeralds : (

My gemologist does not recommend I set them, as she discovered a feather located on the corner of one of the stones which extends from the pavilion to the crown. She judges that the corner of the stone would likely crumble in the setting process due to the extent of the inclusion.

EE had told me that there was a surface-reaching inclusion on the pavilion, perhaps they did not realize it stretched as my gemologist said "180 degrees through the stone," reaching the crown.

I'll be returning this pair and the search continues...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s another Columbian emerald wholesaler that is owned by a Columbian family in Florida. If you’re not happy with these, maybe ask them. They sell a wide variety of quality, and even loose uncut crystals. They’re at least based in the United States, a

I never dealt with them, but you may want to check them out as well if you send these back.
https://jrcolombianemerald.com/
J-R has been on eBay for 13+ years.
https://www.ebay.com/usr/jr-emeralds?

Were you to purchase through eBay, looks like you would have a 30-day return period; the return period for purchases made through JR's website is 14 days (no refund for sale or custom items). But the eBay listing prices may be higher (I didn't do a cross-check) to cover the fees vendors have to pay to eBay.

Hope your vision can soon become a reality for you!

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Do you like the color, even thought they will be returned?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sigh. Well everyone, not good news on setting the emeralds : (

My gemologist does not recommend I set them, as she discovered a feather located on the corner of one of the stones which extends from the pavilion to the crown. She judges that the corner of the stone would likely crumble in the setting process due to the extent of the inclusion.

EE had told me that there was a surface-reaching inclusion on the pavilion, perhaps they did not realize it stretched as my gemologist said "180 degrees through the stone," reaching the crown.

I'll be returning this pair and the search continues...
Ohhhh booooo! :(2

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@MollyMalone, thank you! Very kind and good info! I had actually looked at a few JR stones a couple years ago, but was nervous and very new to online jewelry buying then. I also remember being a bit concerned about the quality of JR's settings. I was looking at emerald rings back then and the prongs and metal looked uneven to me. I'd love to get anyone's take who has purchased from JR. I'm curious.

@DauphineMucha, I do like the color. I would be keeping them, setting them, and wearing them often had my gemologist said the stones were hearty enough to. : (
They really are a nice color and would have made lovely earrings. I'm noticing that the medium-toned greens can exhibit more fire and glow than the vivid dark stones. Both are beautiful, but have a different look? The vivid dark green is regal and gorgeous and looks richer- I wouldn't turn one down as a gift! Haha. The medium-green is "wild" and alive, with that glow and fire that I'm liking. I'm honestly drawn to both, but very happy that my budget allows for something that excites me.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@T L, I know : ( Discouraging but we'll see what happens. I paid just a bit over $3k for the 3.25 tcw set. EE does have an over 4 tcw set that supposedly is very similar to the pair I'm returning. That set totally blows my budget though, but I am wondering if EE will suggest it or what.

(I've sent EE 3 emails over the course of the past 48 hours btw. Waiting to get return instructions since my 2 emails asking for tracking info are now a moot point.)

Reactions: AV_

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
JR is also on Etsy. I don't know if the price is set higher or not, but they are also on instagram. I have communicated with them but haven't purchased from them. They are very friendly, responsive and helpful! I would say try reaching out to them :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L, I know : ( Discouraging but we'll see what happens. I paid just a bit over $3k for the 3.25 tcw set. EE does have an over 4 tcw set that supposedly is very similar to the pair I'm returning. That set totally blows my budget though, but I am wondering if EE will suggest it or what.

(I've sent EE 3 emails over the course of the past 48 hours btw. Waiting to get return instructions since my 2 emails asking for tracking info are now a moot point.)
Do they have a phone you can text them at? Email seems so archaic these days by itself. I would ask them if they a have a more preferable method of communication. Did you pay with credit card?

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Do they have a phone you can text them at? Email seems so archaic these days by itself. I would ask them if they a have a more preferable method of communication. Did you pay with credit card?

I have a shipping label and return instructions from EE now and plan to get these stones back on their way! I don't typically mind email as a mode of communication, I actually prefer it, but I'm not sure what's going on with their account, meaning they must not check their emails daily. Their website says that they intentionally don't give a phone number, but it also promises prompt email communication!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Interesting update all: My local jeweler (who recommended against setting the EE emeralds and whose decision I certainly trust) offered to source similar emeralds for me, well similar in regard to color/clarity, shape, size, but in good enough condition to set.

I've just heard back from them and they've located another set for me, Colombian as well weighing just over 2 carats total (as opposed to my 3.25 tcw set) but they supposedly have the same "look" by the surface area. So the 3.25 tcw set was supposedly cut very deep and this new 2+ carat set will look the same....

The most interesting part though, online dealers are charging about $3k a carat for fine quality emerald stones. This retailer (my local jeweler) is charging about $3500 upwards a carat for this set of loose stones. At that rate, I might as well deal with George and get something just as lovely or even lovelier and potentially larger, depending on how deep the stones are cut.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah decisions, decisions. Although most of have budgets, if you can afford a better quality set, you won’t be regretting it later down the road. Good luck!! Thanks for the continuing updates!

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
@T L, tbh EE's $1k a carat pricing suited me much better lol... but, I can't have unstable stones on my hands. I would have been devastated had that stone cracked/crumbled at the corner in setting AND I would have been out of a bit over $3k having a destroyed set : (

George seems very nice and communicates well, I'm going to continue dialogue with him and see what he may have available for me : )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L, tbh EE's $1k a carat pricing suited me much better lol... but, I can't have unstable stones on my hands. I would have been devastated had that stone cracked/crumbled at the corner in setting AND I would have been out of a bit over $3k having a destroyed set : (

George seems very nice and communicates well, I'm going to continue dialogue with him and see what he may have available for me : )

Maybe he has that hue/tone of the EE stones but with faint or minor enough enhancement. They should be less than $3k/ct for that tone, one would hope! The lighter toned emeralds tend to be less pricey.

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Update: Just started chatting with JR Colombian Emeralds (I really like that they are U.S.-based, as I had a bad experience with an antique diamond purchase from the U.K. this past summer... The return was an absolute nightmare. Not keen on purchasing from outside the U.S. at this point.)

JR is located in Florida, yay!

As others have mentioned, JR is very responsive, friendly, and helpful.
They can also SET the stones I pick into earrings, which is something EE could not do for me.

I do need to inquire about their return policy.
A PSer advised previously that JR did not offer returns on custom pieces, which I understand is usually the case for jewelry. With my order being standard stud earrings (which JR sells often) I wonder if they may give me a bit more flexibility.

Last edited:

EmeraldEmpress

Shiny_Rock
Sooooo I just purchased a gorgeous pair of earrings from JR. I cannot say enough good things about working with JR.

Will keep everyone posted once I receive them!
Screenshot_20200104-114208~2.png

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have been following your posts! So happy you purchased from JR! Did you get 3+ carats for your earrings? And was the price per carat fair? Did you negotiate? I can’t wait to hear more about this! Happy New Year indeed!

-C4C

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results