shape
carat
color
clarity

Elevating stone in basket? How easy to do?

ImVotingForSparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I have a solitaire with a 6-prong basket and have lately been feeling like I'd like the diamond to be elevated a little more in the basket. How hard would this be for a jeweler to do? Would they need to replace the whole basket with a new one? Do major prong work?

Thanks for any advice!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ImVotingForSparkles|1481168327|4105537 said:
Hi everyone, sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I have a solitaire with a 6-prong basket and have lately been feeling like I'd like the diamond to be elevated a little more in the basket. How hard would this be for a jeweler to do? Would they need to replace the whole basket with a new one? Do major prong work?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Sparkles,

It might be helpful if you can post photos of your solitaire so we might be able to tell if there is flexibility in the current setting vs. needing to get a new one.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ImVotingForSparkles|1481168327|4105537 said:

Thanks for any advice!

While I agree with Diamond Hawk that a picture would be nice, I will throw my two bits in here.

Assuming that your diamond is correctly set, the prongs will have already been cut with a seat for the diamond. To elevate it, the prongs will need to be straightened, the existing cuts filled in and then additional metal added to the top of the prong to leave room to cut new seats. In my experience, this rarely goes well, especially with a six prong setting. So long as it is possible to remove the head, I will always recommend replacing the head rather than trying to add metal and pray it never decides not to be attached at some point in time.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ditto on pictures.
Here is the thing in my experience and Wink alluded to it also unless it is a simple design that was made with a separate head doing anything with it rarely goes well.
Even if it was made from a separate head it can sometimes come out badly replacing the head.
It all depends on the original work, the skill of the benchman, and the ability to get a matching head.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results