shape
carat
color
clarity

Egyptian revival locket ???

HANMARIE

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

A family member of mine came into possession of an Egyptian silver locket several years ago now, and they wondered if anyone would be able to tell them anything about the locket's history, as after spending quite some time researching the locket, they were unable to find out anything significant about it. The only information they were able to discover is that it is perhaps Egyptian revival, and that it maybe dates from the art deco period, as there appears to be a very faint "26" inscribed into the locket.

Any further information would be very much appreciated !

IMG_0713.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very nice!
The writing on the front appears to be French and Arabic. it looks like the goddess Isis.
You are probably right about Egyptian Revival and 1926.
More photos please?
Can you show the inside, the inscription, any marks and a close up of the front.
Is the design enamel or hand painted? What size is it? Is there any stamp on the loop? Sometimes these pieces have a silver fineness mark there. It may be hard to see.

Last edited:

HANMARIE

Rough_Rock
Hi stracci200!

Many thanks for your message. I did actually take the locket into a local Antique shop recently, and they did say the design was enamel, but unfortunately, they couldn't comment further, as they had never seen anything like it before. That's interesting about the French and Arabic writing, I hadn't noticed that before! I've inserted a few more pics for you, however, there doesn't appear to be anymore markings other than the very faint "26" on the inside.

Thanks again!

IMG_0710.jpg
locket.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi stracci200!

Many thanks for your message. I did actually take the locket into a local Antique shop recently, and they did say the design was enamel, but unfortunately, they couldn't comment further, as they had never seen anything like it before. That's interesting about the French and Arabic writing, I hadn't noticed that before! I've inserted a few more pics for you, however, there doesn't appear to be anymore markings other than the very faint "26" on the inside.

Thanks again!

IMG_0710.jpg
locket.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg

So I looked up milliemes, and it is the Egyptian monetary equivalent of a pound.
Two millliemes, two pounds.
Also, this whole image looks like a postage stamp. So I googled stamps.
Here is the stamp!

Last edited:

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gah, I’d love to know the story of this locket! A present for a stamp-collecting jewellery fan? A commemorative present for a postal worker? I’d never thought of reflecting stamps in jewellery before, but I suppose stamps are as much used to reflect an emotive/important picture in a small space as cameos/intaglios in jewellery?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah, I’d love to know the story of this locket! A present for a stamp-collecting jewellery fan? A commemorative present for a postal worker? I’d never thought of reflecting stamps in jewellery before, but I suppose stamps are as much used to reflect an emotive/important picture in a small space as cameos/intaglios in jewellery?

Yeah, it's really cool. I love old interesting jewelry!

HANMARIE

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the interesting info, stracci2000! It looks like the stamp was first issued in 1921, so that would tie in with the number 26 inscribed into the locket. it's pretty amazing to think the locket is almost 100 years old! I too would love to know the locket's story, lissyflo. Sadly though, as the locket seems to be quite unusual and has been a silent witness to the last 100 years, it's story might forever remain a mystery... If only old jewellery could speak, think of all the incredible stories we'd hear, and how much time we would save!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results