shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jiang1110

Rough_Rock
I know GIA is more diserable but is there really a big difference?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The important difference to keep in mind is pricing. If an EGL stone is one to two grades off, which happens, this can mean a very drastic price difference between what the price. You want to make sure you are getting the grade that you are paying for, although sometimes EGL stones are priced cheaper than GIA stones.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/24/2008 3:36:46 PM
Author:jiang1110
I know GIA is more diserable but is there really a big difference?
In some cases, yes.

EGL can be a 'softer' grading lab than GIA, and EGL-Israel can be even softer than EGL-USA.

Since grading dictates what the market value of your stone is, it's important to know this up front.

Usually, the stones are priced closer to what they would be if they were graded at lower grades by GIA. (i.e. a .75 H, VS2 stone from EGL might bear a price comparable to a .75 stone that GIA grades as an I, SI1.)

As long as you're aware of this and make sure you're paying the fair market value for the stone, you should be fine.

Grading report paper doesn't make a stone better or worse; the stone is what it is. The paper simply helps to guide you as to the market value, and if you use this information properly, no worries.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results