shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs. GIA.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been looking at diamonds today, and I''ve noticed that EGL diamonds seem to be quite a bit less than GIA..

Is there a huge difference in quality? Or is it safe to go with an EGL?

manhattan01

Rough_Rock
I've asked that same question before and received a resounding, NO. Apparently EGL tends to be very generous when grading diamonds.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i have heard from some experts that if the EGL cert is EGL-USA then it tends to be on the reliable side. anything else and it is definitely questionable.

because of the controversy surrounding the EGL certs, i personally stayed away from them. i didn't want to wonder. i went with looking for GIA and AGS only.

however, you could get an EGL-USA diamond, and have it sent to an independant appraiser to have them have a look-see. this would definitely give you peace of mind.

rockdoc, dave atlas, and rich sherwood are tops in the field!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
If you buy one with a GIA, do you still need to get an independent appraisal as well?

69gm

Shiny_Rock
it's usually a good idea to get an independant appraisal no matter who certified it. it's mostly for peace of mind, although rest assured that GIA and AGS have the strictest standards in grading so if you opt to not do so with one of these certs, you're probably okay.

another thing getting an appraisal will do is give you more information than you thought possible about the diamond. this is actually important in understanding how and why the diamond is/isn't good. many pricescope vendors will even send their diamonds to an independant appraiser BEFORE you buy it! just pay the shipping and appraisal costs.

with a GIA diamond, it will still be very important to ask for a Sarin report which will give you the angles of the crown and pavilion which is important in determining how well the diamond would theoretically perform, ie. what kind of bling bling you will get.

AGS certs already have this information on the cert. a Sarin report is good for AGS diamonds as well, though because it will grade the cut on all levels and even give you the angles of the major facets for the crown and pavilion. this is important if you want the very best since it is actually an average of these numbers that gives you the rating. the averaged out number might be good but the numbers to get that average might show a slightly imperfect cut.

i know this is getting a little too analytical so suffice it to say "yes" get an appraisal no matter who certified. at the very least, they'll confirm the diamond and give you peace of mind that your hard-earned money was well spent...or that you should take the company up on their return policy!

i'll shut up now.
sick.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
Good, comprehensive post, 69gm.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Tawn, a good appraiser can give you even more information than what is contained in the GIA cert, and interpret all that information to tell you how good a diamond you're looking at.

In addition, if you're going to insure the diamond, you'll need an appraisal anyway, as GIA certs do not contain a value.

That being the case, it makes sense to get the appraisal at point of purchase, so you can use it in your decision making process.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
thanks barry. i started to feel like i was babbling...
tongue.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
69, you've got to tell me what your avatar is.

I've been scrutinizing it closely for quite some time now, and the closest I've been able to determine is that it might be a cat freaked out on acid.

Am I close?

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi rich,

if you click on view profile you might get a better picture. i might've made it too big for an avatar.

actually it's an uncanny likeness of my cat (and a twin in the back). the reason i like it too is because it looks like it's laughing hilariously at a joke it just heard or something like that. anyway i just thought it was a cool, funny picture. i couldn't stop laughing at it myself when i first saw it and thought it would make a cool avatar.

and what's your avatar of? just kidding...
2.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys...since this is my first time buying a diamond this way, no imformation is too much information!

So, an appraisal is definitely the way to go...and how much does that ususally cost? (live in the San Diego area)

And, one stone I looked at was a D color, VS2...etc, but it had strong blue flourescence! I read that it isn't desirable...and then something else that said it was!
confused.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
PS. The cat avatar is hilarious!
1.gif

canadianice

Rough_Rock
Speaking of avatars...

Nice one, Tawn!
love.gif

Back down Rich -- I saw her first!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Well thanks for the compliment guys!

...Does Canadian Ice mean you're actually from the Great White North? Or just that you like their diamonds? I grew up there...beautiful place!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...I just looked and you're in Toronto! British Columbia girl here!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/26/2003 11:15:18 PM tawn wrote:

So, an appraisal is definitely the way to go...and how much does that ususally cost? (live in the San Diego area)

----------------

I live in San Diego and used Thom Underwood at San Diego Gem Lab for my e-ring appraisal. He is an independent appraiser on the Pricescope recommended list, and I've used him for 3 different pieces of jewelry and found him to be thorough and frank. His website is www.sdgemlab.com. He usually charges $85 per item for an appraisal. I did a 2 stage appraisal: he charged me $85 to appraise the loose diamond so I could decide if a wanted to buy it, and after I had it set, he charged me $35 to appraise the completed ring for insurance purposes (and verify it was the same stone). I have a solitaire; it may cost more for a multi-stone ring -- just call and ask.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 6/27/2003 5:23
6.gif
3 AM Richard Sherwood wrote:

-----------
and what's your avatar of? just kidding...
-----------

A gemologist freaked out on acid.

----------------

rich,

LMAO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results