shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
I spoke to an independent gemologist today who told me that I should stick with stones with a GIA cert. He said that in general most stones with an EGL cert will have a questionable cut. Is that true?

What does it cost to get a GIA cert vs an EGL cert?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
spoke to an independent gemologist today who told
me that I should stick with stones with a GIA
cert.
-----------

A lot of people feel this way because of the stringent grading standards of GIA. AGS and HRD certificates would be included in this category as well.

-----------
He said that in general most stones with an EGL
cert will have a questionable cut. Is that true?
-----------

That is way too broad a generalization to make, in my opinion. AGS certed stones are often ideal or very fine makes because they include a cut grading ranking in their certs. Neither GIA nor EGL have a cut grade ranking, but it's easier to discern the cut quality from an EGL cert than a GIA because the EGL cert includes crown height and pavilion depth.

-----------
What does it cost to get a GIA cert vs an EGL cert?
-----------

I'm not certain of the exact pricing. The figure of $125 per carat sticks to my mind regarding GIA, but I could be wrong. The EGL cert is cheaper. Again, I don't have the exact pricing at my fingertips, but I think they are about 2/3rds the price of GIA.

Perhaps someone who has their pricing sheets would be so kind as to list the pricing of GIA vs AGS vs EGL vs IGI, or a relative index thereof.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results