shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asalvi

Rough_Rock
I need some advise on purchasing a diamond? I''m looking at two diamonds
I need to know if I should purchase EGL or GIA certified Diamonds. The EGL diamond has better color.
1. EGL Certified

1.02 Cts.
Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.55-6.45x 3.93 mm.

Depth: 60.5
Width: 60
Crown: 12%
Pavillion Depth: 44%
Girdle thickness: Medium, Faceted

Finish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet None

Clarity SI1
Color Grade: F
Graining: Ni1
What do you think about this diamond?

GIA Certified Diamond
2. 1.03 Carats
H Color
Si1
Table: 62
I dont know the rest.

Is it worth going to the GIA diamond?

Please help!!!!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
EGL certed stones are 8%-10% cheaper than GIA or AGS.

Check also these threads for example

[/u][/u]

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Asalvi,

The EGL one was certed in Israel, right? Then most porbably it's not an SI 1 and the F could be H. Be very careful of EGL certs, as they are pretty liberal and lenient. Ask for more infos about the GIA diamond and do a bit of research to find out how important is the cut! Good luck
1.gif
!!!!

Giangi

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You should not even consider either until you at least have Sarin info. You're talking thousands of your hard earned money here and that is the very LEAST info you should have.

Concerning the data that is graded on the reports GIA is definetely going to be the more conservative of the 2. EGL is known to be liberal no matter where it comes from and Leonid is 110% correct when he tells you EGL diamonds WILL BE CHEAPER though I've seen those percentages vary even more wildly than that at time.

Why do you think the EGL stones are cheaper? Do not believe for one second that the dealer is willing to give more of a deal on an EGL stone because he likes you. There is a real reason for it that can be answered under the scrutiny of lab analysis (which in the end relates to real world value).

Get at the very least Sarin info on both and there are many here who can help you along the way.

Peace,
Rhino

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Serious diamond buyers who know the market buy only GIA, AGS or HRD graded diamonds because they know the grade is more likely to be accurate... Everything else is a "maul store game" - yes I intentionally spelled "mall" incorrectly... Because you're getting mauled when you buy an E, SI-1 that is really a G, SI-2 because you didn't know that there were different degrees of accuracy in the paper represented by our industry. For those of you not familiar with the HRD, it is the diamond grading laboratory for the Belgium High Diamond Council - it has been our experience that they are quite accurate.

TRIDENT

Rough_Rock
I would stay away from GIA! To much $ you are investing to take the risk. Good Luck

TRIDENT

Rough_Rock
I am sorry about the post above! Stay away from EGL NOT GIA. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results