shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL vs GIA Certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

carbon lover

Rough_Rock
Hi, my boyfriend and I were out looking for diamonds. Some came with GIA certs and some with EGL certs. One sales person told us that we could get more for our money by buying an EGL certified diamond.

I''m confused.

Please explain the difference between GIA and EGL?

confused.gif

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
GIA are one of the most reputable labs in the
world, and are internationally recognized as
credible diamond graders.

Kirk Konst

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
It has been our experience that the GIA and AGS Laboratories are more consistent and strict in their grading practices than other laboratories. Thus it may not be that you are "getting more for your money" but rather that you are purchasing what you believe to be a diamond of a certain grade that would have been graded significantly lower by the GIA or AGS laboratories... In other words, you may "think" that you're buying a G color, VS-2 when in fact you are getting what the GIA or AGS would call an I color, SI-2. Make sense? In the industry it's called a "paper game" and we've seen dealers debate over which laboratory they should send a stone to because they want to get the highest rating they can... The dealers realize that most consumers aren't "paper savvy" they just know that they need the paper... Be smart, stick with GIA or AGS graded stones, you'll be glad that you did five years from now.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto on what NiceIce said. Sometimes EGL is right, but very often they are quite liberal and notoriously inaccurate (especially EGL Antwerp and Israel, US labs are better). Remember that you get what you pay for!!
Good luck in your search
1.gif
!!!

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results