shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL USA-NY experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BlingChaser

Rough_Rock
Has anyone used EGL-USA/NY to certify their uncertified round diamonds?

From previous threads, i had mentioned that i was considering purchasing 5 round stones in the 0.40 - 0.49 carat range.

I had emailed EGL-NY and they quoted me that certification would cost around $55 per carat.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum had ever certified stones through EGL-NY and if they wouldn''t mind sharing their experience with me.

I am uncertain as to how much feedback i will receive as i know this forum''s inclination is towards certifed stones. But any feedback would be great.

Thanks

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what would be the purpose?

BlingChaser

Rough_Rock
Purpose?
To get a certificate

DBM

Shiny_Rock
you can do it if you want if you don''t mind paying for it. You can also just get an appraisal from them without actually certifying. Call them and make an appointment with David?? I think if you want to just come in for an hour and have them appraise it for you. a certificate may be just longer and unnecessary

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
for resale or your peace of mind? i am just trying to figure out why you would want to ''certify'' 5 diamonds of that size. usually the value of buying uncertified diamonds is in not having such costs involved.

BlingChaser

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 12:02:29 PM
Author: belle
for resale or your peace of mind? i am just trying to figure out why you would want to ''certify'' 5 diamonds of that size. usually the value of buying uncertified diamonds is in not having such costs involved.
Definitely not for resale, more likely for peace of mind.

I''d also like to make sure that the jeweller has been truthful in terms of color and clarity. will be targeting H/I and SI2 and using idealscope to gauge cut. I will not certify all 5 but pick 1 or 2 which i feel might be the worse of the bunch.

I''d like to know if i can work with the guy for future purchases as well.

I thought $30-$50 might not be excessively expensive to give me peace of mind.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
'certify the worst of the bunch'
that just sounds like an oxymoron to me!
37.gif

i understand wanting peace of mind and wanting to keep the jeweler honest. i would highly recommend having them looked at by and independent appraiser. don't just limit yourself to making sure a couple of stones are up to muster, find an appraiser that will look at them all. if egl offers this service, as dmb mentioned, take advantage of it.
2.gif
shop around and compare costs. you may even consider making the sale contigent on the appraisal. that offer itself may help to gauge the jewelers honesty.

best of luck!

BlingChaser

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 12:21:48 PM
Author: belle
''certify the worst of the bunch''
that just sounds like an oxymoron to me!
37.gif

i understand wanting peace of mind and wanting to keep the jeweler honest. i would highly recommend having them looked at by and independent appraiser. don''t just limit yourself to making sure a couple of stones are up to muster, find an appraiser that will look at them all. if egl offers this service, as dmb mentioned, take advantage of it.
2.gif
shop around and compare costs. you may even consider making the sale contigent on the appraisal. that offer itself may help to gauge the jewelers honesty.

best of luck!
''certify the worst of the bunch''

i was thinking that would by default imply that the others are good.

Daniel''s idea of appraisal sounds like a good idea to me. Let me try and give EGL USA a call and find out how much they charge.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results