shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL reports

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nicktenny

Rough_Rock
After lurking around here, talking to a jeweler, and checking out the study that was done on this site, I am well aware of the less strict grading that tends to come with an EGL report. According to the study, EGL ususally grades one color easier, but is fairly consistent in clarity compared to GIA. When searching diamonds, even if I bump the color and clarity rating up, the EGL diamonds are cheaper than the GIA diamond (at the lower rating).

Assuming even measurements, are the EGL stones, as described above, a better deal? Am I missing something? Are you paying a premium for the reputation of GIA (or AGS)?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Some EGL labs have been known to be two color grades AND two clarity grades off - both in the wrong direction - in a single stone!! - I have ''been there, done that.'' The reason they seem like such a ''great deal'' is because the vendors are usually selling them for closer to what they really are, but not always - sometimes you still overpay and don''t know it until the appraiser sees it...
If you do a search on EGL you will see many threads on this. THere is also a new thread from today by John Pollard let me grab it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results