shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL-Israel hits back over "illegal" certs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting that neither of the 2 Guy's mention that the grading of their reports is so soft.
I think that is the key issue here, especially for consumers.
It will be interesting to watch this case unfold.

Leonid and I have a little inside knowledge that we know not all the cards are out yet ;-)

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Garry, I thought the same exact thing. They talk about EGL's prestige, blah, blah, blah... But no mention of overgraded stones.
naughty.gif
nono.gif
eek.gif

Please tell us more!
11.gif
naughty.gif

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
I have a different take on this situation from a lawyer's perspective:

EGL-USA on the one hand is arguing they are independent of non USA EGL labs and are entitled to exclusive use of the name in the US, BUT on the other hand they are trying to use the EGL European reputation for being in business since the 1970's. Sounds to me like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

If EGL-USA is really that independent, maybe they ought to change their name.

If they are in the US only, then why the hell would they want to call themselves "European Gem Lab" anyway?

Why should EGL-USA be able to benefit from the longevity of the EGL name and at the same time exclude the REAL EGL from competition in the US market? Sounds like theft of trademark to me.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/9/2003 2:10:12 PM rbjd wrote:

Why should EGL-USA be able to benefit from the longevity of the EGL name and at the same time exclude the REAL EGL from competition in the US market? Sounds like theft of trademark to me.----------------

According to EGL-USA, they own the US trademark for EGL. Thus the request to the Customs Department to block all non-US EGL certs at the border.

My search of the USPTO records indicates that, indeed, the US group has a registration for "E.G.L." in 1980, an active application for "European Gemological Laboratory," filed in 2001, and an application for the EGL logo filed in June of 2003. I'm guessing it's the last one they're hoping to use to block the certs.

What was interesting to me about that piece was that the other EGL folks didn't exactly dispute the trademark issue; instead, they argued that EGL-USA isn't really a separate entity, which strikes me as odd. Either it is or it isn't, and it ought to be fairly easy to establish it.

Edited to add:

Just realized something. "E.G.L." trademark is registered in 1980. EGL-USA becomes a separate entity in 1986. Big question becomes who got the rights? Indeed as Garry says, looks like a lot of cards yet to be played.
3.gif

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
Leonid and I have a little inside knowledge that we know not all the cards are out yet ;-)
----------------

Out with it!!! That's why we're here!

Don't make me come over there.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/9/2003 4:42:38 PM Rank Amateur wrote:

----------------
----------------

Out with it!!! That's why we're here!

Don't make me come over there.

----------------
I don't know much more than you guys
1.gif
Maybe Garry has some scoop
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results