EGL Grading Help vs. Web Price

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
Yes, she wants round

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
beerisgood|1308161430|2946745 said:

It's an I1 which means it has inclusions visible to the naked eye. I would request the GIA report so that you can see more details on the stone. It could have inclusions that can be covered by the setting. I would definitely call and inquire if hitting the 1 carat mark is that important to you. You simply will not find a 1 ct, near colorless, eye clean, excellent cut stone for under $3k. You need to figure out what your priorities are (they're different for everyone).

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
Kimmy|1308162202|2946756 said:
beerisgood|1308161430|2946745 said:

It's an I1 which means it has inclusions visible to the naked eye. I would request the GIA report so that you can see more details on the stone. It could have inclusions that can be covered by the setting. I would definitely call and inquire if hitting the 1 carat mark is that important to you. You simply will not find a 1 ct, near colorless, eye clean, excellent cut stone for under $3k. You need to figure out what your priorities are (they're different for everyone).
The priority is size, and color (I dont want a yellowish stone). Im not looking for a near colorless stone, just not yellow by the naked eye.

I also want a stone that is going to appraise well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You cannot break the 1ct mark in a well cut diamond and stay in the colorless range - note that a J color EGL is not in the colorless range by GIA standards. I cannot imagine your gf wantsa stone with inclusions she can easily see, and I would not recommend buying a stone that is poorly cut, what is the point of a dead lifeless looking diamond?

You need to increase your budget or change your requirements.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1308163219|2946775 said:
You cannot break the 1ct mark in a well cut diamond and stay in the colorless range - note that a J color EGL is not in the colorless range by GIA standards. I cannot imagine your gf wantsa stone with inclusions she can easily see, and I would not recommend buying a stone that is poorly cut, what is the point of a dead lifeless looking diamond?

You need to increase your budget or change your requirements.
I'm confused. How is an Excellent cut EGL stone (1.30ct mentioned earlier) a poor cut? I think that might be excessive. If thats the case, what's a "good" cut EGL stone in GIA standards then?

The 1.3ct doesnt have a single inclusion on the EGL certificate, has a J color (Ok, so thats L GIA), and what they are asking is about 60+% off RAP already.

I feel this is a fabulous price for a 1.30ct stone with no inclusions.

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
the #'s on the cert give it a 1.0 on the HCA...which is good, but they give %'s and who knows if they round up or down (also I'm not sure if the table is 56 or 58, I used 56.). BUT It's likely there will be visible color with this one, and there is the possibility it will have visible inclusions. I think thats the point people are making, for the size diamond with EGL you are likely getting a L-M SI1-SI2, and that may even be a stretch.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The cut of the 1.3 you linked is fine based on the information available.

My comment about getting a well cut stone or an eye clean stones referenced the the majority of the other stones you posted earlier, rather than the 1.3ct specifically.

I maintain that getting a well cut stone over 1ct will be difficult with your budget without some serious compromise. The price is indeed low for the 1.3, falling into the "too good to be true" realm in my opinion. Comparable EGL graded stones seem to be closer to the $5000 range. There are no real deals in the diamond world, so there is likely a reason for that low price. Have you confirmed the stone is still available? The virtual listings are not updated very often. If there is an iron clad no-questions asked refund policy in place it might be worth checking it out in person to see if it meets your needs.

You also commented earlier that you want a stone that appraises well. Most appraisals are drastically inflated, not sure the reason entirely but likely to make buyers feel good in part. The best way to know if you got a good value for your money is to use an online search tool to look for comparable stones and make sure you are paying market value, and making sure you get a balance on te 4Cs that make you happy. This may not mean paying the lowest price around. Diamonds are priced by what the market bears. If you want a real deal, consider the secondary market or and antique stone, those are legitimately priced lower than market standard.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
The 1.3ct is available, however she the diamond cutter just advised it does have a "tint" of brown.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
a tint of brown means it's a LOW color. A well cut J should not have a tint of brown...it should have a slight warmth that is barely noticeable. I would pass on the 1.3.

Have you talked with your future fiance about her preferences? Does she just want a big rock and not care if it's yellow/brown and dull? You need to ask her preferences before you go for size over everything else, I think.
Personally I would like a smaller stone that has sparkle, fire, brilliance....LIFE. That is the point of a diamond. Otherwise go with cut glass.

If you buy a nice stone at a reputable retailer that has a good upgrade policy (whiteflash, goodoldgold, briangavindiamonds, highperformancediamonds) you can get a smaller NICE stone right now, and save up and in a year or a few years you turn the ring in and get credit towards a newer bigger stone. That is what I'd do and recommend for you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just face the truth...you will not be able to a 1 ct GIA Ex cut for $3000,it AIN'T gonna happen.. :!:

bullmarket12

Rough_Rock
Original poster, **edited by moderator. please do not post personal information per the forum policies** (if you have any additional questions). I had the EXACT same budget as you and just bought the engagement ring just over a week ago. I can help you out a TON.

I used a GIA I/SI1/Excellent cut/1 carat diamond as my basis for my side by side comparison. I ended up with an EGL F/SI1/Excellent/.85 carat diamond that is both eye clean and has the exact same specs. With EGL, you just have to make sure you have the rock in front of your eyes and have a GIA to compare it to. Go to Solomon brothers and use the same spec I did and you'll find what you want.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
bullmarket12|1308180743|2947008 said:
Original poster, **edited by moderator. please do not post personal information per the forum policies** (if you have any additional questions). I had the EXACT same budget as you and just bought the engagement ring just over a week ago. I can help you out a TON.

I used a GIA I/SI1/Excellent cut/1 carat diamond as my basis for my side by side comparison. I ended up with an EGL F/SI1/Excellent/.85 carat diamond that is both eye clean and has the exact same specs. With EGL, you just have to make sure you have the rock in front of your eyes and have a GIA to compare it to. Go to Solomon brothers and use the same spec I did and you'll find what you want.

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying an EGL stone (I just bought earrings) as long as you understand what it is. The OP can get a very nice stone that is around .85 (like yours) or even .9, but with his budget he isn't going to get a nice stone that is over 1 carat... no matter who it is certified by. As others have said, he might be able to get something nice on the secondhand market. I am an experienced ebayer and have scored some great deals, but it really is a gamble.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results