Symmetry VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet N/A
Cut Grade N/A
Comments H&A
UGS Appraisal Value $11130.00

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
not really. similar specs in the ps search for EGL is btwn 1967-2355 (up to 2.0cts) EGL is pretty soft on their grading, so this stone could very well be a L-M I2 with GIA (or worse). with that size stone and being EGL the inclusions will be visible.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
lovebug1031|1308073502|2945715 said:
not really. similar specs in the ps search for EGL is btwn 1967-2355 (up to 2.0cts) EGL is pretty soft on their grading, so this stone could very well be a L-M I2 with GIA (or worse). with that size stone and being EGL the inclusions will be visible.
I searched a few times with nothing found in that price range?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, really, that is not a good deal. Sure it is cheap for a big stone. But I cannot imagine it is a very good looking diamond.

It is a poorly cut diamond -- very poorly cut -- with a lab report that is not very reliable, a clarity grade from said lab that makes me nervous (since EGL grades soft, an I1 could be much lower in clarity and thus should only be purchased from a reliable vendor or with an independent appraisal that can verify no inclusions that pose a durability risk).

If you have seen this stone in person and compared it to other diamonds and decided that you honestly love it compared to all your other options, well its is your money to spend how you like. But I would not recommend this stone.

A stone with a better cut and a reliable lab report in that size/color/clarity would cost you more like $7-8k. This stone is under $3k. That is not a deal, it is an indication that the diamond is not that great.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
doesn't sound like a good stone to me. I'd stick with GIA or AGS excellent or ideal cut stone

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
we need more information- what is your budget? Do you have any targets in regards to size, color, clarity, etc. that you are hoping for, or is size your #1 most important aspect? What type of cushion are you after?

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
nfowife|1308086170|2945916 said:
we need more information- what is your budget? Do you have any targets in regards to size, color, clarity, etc. that you are hoping for, or is size your #1 most important aspect? What type of cushion are you after?

Budget: Max $3000
Carat: 0.90 min - 2.00 max
Cut: Ideal/Excellent, Very Good
Color: G-J
Clarity: VVS1-SI

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Is that $3k including setting? Would you consider dropping in color?

Did you see the EGL K-I1 in person? If you liked the color on a EGL K then you'll probably be comfortable with GIA/AGS Ls.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think your numbers are a bit unrealistic for what you are after, but we can help you get close for sure.
Do you know what type of cushion you are after? Chunky or Modern?
Here are 2 chunky vintage style cushions:
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8048/
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7851/

slightly above your price range, not a chunky style but a larger size:
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut-loose-diamond-2168229.htm

You can also go to jamesallen.com and search for cushions in your price range and see pics of each stone. With cushions you really need to see pictures the numbers don't tell much of anything.
jamesallen.com

Mark @ ERD is known for his cushions, this is in your range but smaller than your specs and not a chunky cushion:
http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondCushionDetails.aspx?Item=64

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
beerisgood|1308086886|2945928 said:
nfowife|1308086170|2945916 said:

Budget: Max $3000
Carat: 0.90 min - 2.00 max
Cut: Ideal/Excellent, Very Good
Color: G-J
Clarity: VVS1-SI

2.00/G/VVS1 and 0.90/J/SI1 are very different things. Add to this the fact that GIA-J rarely means the same thing as EGL-J etc and you're talking about a range of specs that covers nearly the entire industry. I recommend you do a bit of research and narrow things down a little. Your set of specs excluding price produces offers for stones from under $2k to over $46k in the database here and it'll span even more if you include the whole universe of diamond sellers. Start with the tutorial here and pay a visit to a real jewelry store and look at some real diamonds to get a feel for what the differences in things are. Leave your credit card at home and work on the education component. Tiny details make a big difference in this business.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
3k just for the budget

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
3k just for the diamond

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
All of those diamonds are EGL graded. Just be aware that an EGL J is generally the equivalent of a GIA/AGS L or M. An EGL VS is more like a GIA/AGS SI2. So shop accordingly.

I just purchased a pair of EGL J VS2 3.08 ctw diamond studs, but I did so knowing that they were more like L/M and SI 1/2. I'm ok with the stats because they are earrings and show H&A so they are very sparkly. I paid $7500 for the pair (including shipping and 18k martini settings). That should give you some sort of pricing idea.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
I've narrowed it down to the following..

.98ct, H, SI3, Ideal/Excellent cut, GIA certified: $2900

1.04ct, J, VS1, Ideal/Excellent cut, EGL: $2843

1.30ct, J, VS1, Ideal/Excellent cut, EGL: $3497

Attached are the two EGL certificates. Please let me know your thoughts.

92815975.JPG

92815900.JPG

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
beerisgood|1308154774|2946632 said:
.98ct, H, SI3, Ideal/Excellent cut, GIA certified: $2900
GIA doesn't have an SI3 clarity grade, nor is 'ideal' one of the choices in their cut grading scale.

You seem set on getting the highest claimed grade for the lowest possible price. Target EGL-International or 'none' as your grading source. Their lab in Turkey seems to be the best for this. There are a fair number of 'labs' that work for small markets and for ebay sellers that will say pretty much whatever the seller wants. PS won't let them advertise here but you might try a seller who uses one of these for that objective.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you looked into EGL? Such stones are not actually a deal. They just seem that way.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
EGL is inconsistent and soft in grading. This means you have NO idea what you are actually getting. And SI3 is not a grade by GIA. Do you have the report number for the GIA stone so we can look it up?

Here's a well cut diamond in your price range- it is an N color. Your J is likely at least an L, and probably not well cut and definitely not a VS clarity.
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=488

What is most important to you- cut, size, color, etc. You keep posting random reports. You need to narrow down your expectations of what you are looking for and decide if cut is important to you because you can't get a well-cut 1ct. J that is GIA or AGS certified for $3K new. Just not happening. You need to have realistic expectations of the value you are getting for your money. With EGL the value isn't going to be there because you are buying an unknown and everyone in the trade knows that about EGL.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Kimmy|1308087589|2945939 said:
Here are two rounds that are within your budget and meet your requirements. Both have excellent HCA scores.
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=316225&ref=pricescope
http://www.eternitydiamonds.com/diamond_detail.php?id=418403&ref=pricescope

These stones are true GIA .90ct J SI diamonds with excellent HCA scores and they are both in your budget from a pricescope recommended seller.

Is there a reason you keep posting EGL diamonds? They are simply not graded on the same scale. It's like comparing the GPAs of two students. An "A" in physics at MIT means something a lot different than an "A" in underwater basket weaving at a community college (hope that comparison wasn't offensive to anyone).

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
nfowife|1308156313|2946657 said:
EGL is inconsistent and soft in grading. This means you have NO idea what you are actually getting. And SI3 is not a grade by GIA. Do you have the report number for the GIA stone so we can look it up?

Here's a well cut diamond in your price range- it is an N color. Your J is likely at least an L, and probably not well cut and definitely not a VS clarity.
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity&id=488

What is most important to you- cut, size, color, etc. You keep posting random reports. You need to narrow down your expectations of what you are looking for and decide if cut is important to you because you can't get a well-cut 1ct. J that is GIA or AGS certified for $3K new. Just not happening. You need to have realistic expectations of the value you are getting for your money. With EGL the value isn't going to be there because you are buying an unknown and everyone in the trade knows that about EGL.

the 0.98ct is EGL-USA # US 60996202D.

Its from a local nyc jeweler, however I cant pull it up from GIA's site.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
It's not GIA, it's EGL, that's why you can't find it on the GIA website. See the EGL in the cert. #? It's not GIA.

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
Kimmy|1308159394|2946707 said:
Here are two rounds that are within your budget and meet your requirements. Both have excellent HCA scores.

These stones are true GIA .90ct J SI diamonds with excellent HCA scores and they are both in your budget from a pricescope recommended seller.

Is there a reason you keep posting EGL diamonds? They are simply not graded on the same scale. It's like comparing the GPAs of two students. An "A" in physics at MIT means something a lot different than an "A" in underwater basket weaving at a community college (hope that comparison wasn't offensive to anyone).
I need a round diamond thats either a 1ct, or close to a 1ct as possible. I want a diamond thats larger, but the only possible awy in my budget is an EGL diamond.

So when I go to an appraiser will the 1.30ct EGL diamond, or the .90ct GIA diamond be valued/worth more?

beerisgood

Rough_Rock
nfowife|1308159702|2946716 said:
It's not GIA, it's EGL, that's why you can't find it on the GIA website. See the EGL in the cert. #? It's not GIA.
Dammit. Im a gd idiot.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
beerisgood|1308159788|2946718 said:
Kimmy|1308159394|2946707 said:

I need a round diamond thats either a 1ct, or close to a 1ct as possible. I want a diamond thats larger, but the only possible awy in my budget is an EGL diamond.

So when I go to an appraiser will the 1.30ct EGL diamond, or the .90ct GIA diamond be valued/worth more?

That's hard to say. If that 1.3ct EGL J SI1 is the equivalent of a poorly cut GIA 1.3ct M I1 then that is the comparison you need to make. Going back to the school GPA analogy, what is more valuable... a B- in physics from MIT or an A+ in underwater basket weaving from a community college? Is the "A" on paper more important to you? The two are not equally weighted.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lapelirroja

Shiny_Rock
A smaller but ideal cut GIA/AGS diamond will look way more beautiful and may also appear larger than a poorly cut EGL stone.
I believe appraisers will also put more weight in an ideal GIA/AGS vs an EGL.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I really do think you need to re-think your priorities. You'll be hard-pressed to find a nice looking 1ct+ stone for 3K.

I love the AVC posted above though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results