shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Foreign vs. GIA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
There are always posters asking about EGL foreign labs and how the grades compare against GIA graded diamonds.

Here is an actual example of a diamond that had been submitted to both labs ( GIA and EGL Israel (I think)

I offer this with no malice, but simply as an educational post for the benefit of PS readers.

LAB COLOR CLARITY CURRENT RAP PRICE PER CARAT

GIA G I-1 $4200
EGL FOREIGN F SI-2 $6900

163gia.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This stone is another example Brian - we keep one of these in each of my 2 stores as a little "buyer beware" lesson. I paid 1/2 half as much for the EGL stone as the one on the left - the dealer market is not silly, but consumers can be
15.gif

EGLvsGIA.jpg

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
A sample size of one is dangerously small!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is 3 so far RA.
I also submitted a stone when I was in Israel to EGL some years ago and got a silly grade.
Local folklaw suggests you can send the stone in a rivka and they will grade it at what is written on the paper flap. I do not think that would be true as they should be running a blind book in facility.

But what is really scary is that EGL have the SI3 grade and that is supposed to mean that they can run a tighter SI2 because the border line stones are called SI3.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
EGL-USA gets a bad rap from many here. I''d love to see the same stone again submitted to EGL-USA to see where it comes out.

DiamondLil

cmargosi

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all. Proceeding with extreme caution.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi Neil,

You know what the say about reports.
1.gif

There are a few facts, everything else is an opinion.

The date is a fact, one hopes that the weight is a fact, past that , there are only approximations and opinions.

It does bother me that we can send a man to the moon but cannot get the labs to agree on measurements.

Although, I don''t lose as much sleep over it as I used to.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results