shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Fancy Color Diamond Report without watermark

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I know that EGL International basically collapsed and re-built itself under the name EGL Platinum. I realise that this makes the report I have from February 2014 as worthless as the paper it's printed on. However, I'm still very keen to know from anybody who has a similar report whether or not these EGL International reports are watermarked.

My report states at the bottom: "EGL watermark will appear under UV source"

I've looked under various UV sources, looking through the paper, from the front, behind etc. and I don't see any watermark.

Here is a link to a PDF I found which shows a report with the exact same layout as mine: http://www.idexonline.com/UserContent/EGL_Intl_pdf/3501121619.pdf

Does anybody else have a report like this and does it, indeed, have a watermark? If so then mine was faked.

Thanks to all in advance!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I can't answer your question, but ...

If I owned an FCD that did not have a GIA report I'd send it to GIA to get one.
I'd want to be as sure as possible of what I had, regardless of what report it came with or what I paid.

In FCDs very subtle color differences can make a huge difference in value and GIA is widely recognized as the most trusted authority of what you have.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
+1 to Kenny.
Please don't waste a lot of time with the EGL report- it's worthless under any circumstances.

What is the color and clarity grade on the report? Ad the size of the diamond?
Once I know that I may be able to offer more specific advice.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, this seems very sensible.

The color is Fancy Yellow, the clarity is VS1. I've had a good look around the stone and the clarity seems to be correct - only one very small mark internally which cannot be seen without a loupe. It's the cleanest diamond I own now. The facets at the bottom don't exactly match the picture - the cut is described as cushion but there are 4 almost rectangular facets at the bottom, as if the culet had damage and was reshaped down to this. Also the other facets at the bottom are in a different configuration to what's shown. Should the cut diagram be exactly matching or is it just a very general guide for locating inclusions?

The main concern, obviously, is that the color could be more than 1 grade out. To me it looks like Fancy Light Yellow - which I wouldn't be unhappy with. I got a great price and the sparkle and fire are really very good. The color is very pure when it shows with no brown or other tones. It's a tick over 1 Ct. looks very nice all around, but obviously a GIA Fancy Yellow would have much higher value than a W - Z color, which I'm not discounting at this stage :shifty:

For the moment I'm just happy to enjoy the stone. If I come to consider selling it in the future then I'll have to send it off to GIA for a true grading. I know the EGL report is worthless - just somewhat uncomfortable to imagine it could be fake!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Best of luck with the stone!
In my experience, a cutter will never submit a diamond to EGL for one grade.
The market discounts diamonds without GIA report by a huge margin – therefore if a stone was fancy light yellow, the cutter would have submitted to GIA in my experience.
The price can sometimes be an indicator. If a dealer is selling an EGL graded stone for a low price it generally is because of a very generous EGL grade.

toBnruG

Rough_Rock
Interesting reply - thanks. From now on, then, I assume I have a low color diamond which was drastically over-rated by EGL. If I ever come to wanting to sell it I'll get a grading and report back. If it comes back "fancy" anything then I got a great deal.

If anybody happens to find an old EGL International grading report with or without a watermark in the meantime, I'll be quite interested to find out! :)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My pleasure!

I can tell you that in terms of consistency of documentation- EGL is not all that great.
Even GIA has changed formats over the years- but with EGL, you have different locations publishing different forms, plus EGL offers a number of different reports.....so you may have a tough time verifying the report you have.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Princess Diana: Timeless Jewelry Every Woman Should Own
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.