shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Diamond Question....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bqd251

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I'm new.

Well here's my story. I purchased a diamond with an EGL certificate. Here are the spec.:

Weight: 3.37
Shape & cut: Round Brilliant Cut
Measurements: 9.87 x 9.77 x 5.88 mm
Proportions: Very Good
Depth: 59.8%
Table Diam. 60%
Crown Height: 13%
Pavilion: 44%
Gridle Thickness: Thin to Medium
Finish Grade: Very Good
Purity: VVS 1
Color: F

Photoluminesence: NONE

DATE: April 2, 2001

I recently had it appraised, I know, after all this time, and the appraiser came up with these observations:

Weight: 3.42
Shape & cut: Round Brilliant Cut
Measurements: 9.71 x 9.73 x 5.93 mm
Proportions: N/A
Depth: N/A
Table Diam. N/A
Crown Height: N/A
Pavilion: N/A
Gridle Thickness: N/A
Finish Grade: N/A
Purity: VVS 1
Color: J-K

This apprasial was done with the diamond still on the ring. WEll, as you can see, I think that everything came within a close range of what the EGL certificate said it would except for color.

My first question is whether the range of deviation from the EGL certificate and the appraiser is close or too far apart.

Next, can anyone explain why the color is so off. I can't tell the difference but I'm concerned. The appraiser told me that in order for him to "really get an accurate color for this diamond" I would have to come to his place of business in San Fran. and he'll have to remove the diamond from the ring setting and do some additional tests.

I personally don't feel comfortable in having him remove the diamond from the ring. Are my fears justified. I don't know this appraiser and I'm not sure if I can trust him.

Also, was wondering if anyone has the phone number for GIA because I would like to have it re-graded (re-certified) by a GIA lab so I could have a GIA rated diamond.

Thanks for your comments.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It may well be that the appraiser is doing alll that can be done with a mounted diamond. It is sad, but true that color grading accuracy takes the biggest hit with a mounted stone.

Having the diamond removed, if set in prongs, is no big deal, but the difference between F and J color is a big deal.

Maybe you have a GIA F, or G, or H. Maybe the stone is an EGL F. Maybe the appraiser will be able to do a proper color grading job for you with the stone removed. Possibly the appraiser is correct at J. Really we can't know, yet.

If you do not trust this appraiser or any other appraiser, sending the stone to GIA is possible, but it must also go there out of the ring. So, since the stone needs to be graded unset, why go the most expensive route first? Have the appraiser give you their best effort right in their presence.

You won't be in the GIA lab when the stone is being graded. It will take a few days or more, too.

bqd251

Rough_Rock
Can anyone provide me with a number to call for a GIA lab in California.

I'm willing to give it to the GIA lab, it's just I don't know where one is located at.

I found the GIA educational institute website, however, I'm not sure if that's the correct place.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
from GIA site:

GIA GEM TRADE LABORATORY
Carlsbad Information 760-603-4500

bqd251

Rough_Rock
Thank you sir for that quick response.

I'm going to contact them and keep you fine folks updated.

Any tips on what I should pay attention to before sending (driving it their personally) off my diamond to GIA.

Thanks

bqd251

Rough_Rock
Would anybody like to guess what this diamond cost me?

I'll leave this open for a week and tell you at the end of the week if anybody care to guess how much I paid for this diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is a meaningless and non intersting game.
Happy to help you, but playing games with guessing diamond prices whther they are high or very low is not worth the time to play.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results