shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL certificates

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manechka

Rough_Rock
I had a conversation with someone and heard that there are some EGL labs that have a good reputation (LA or NY) and also heard that I should stay away from EGL certificates from Israel. Can someone point to be how do I tell the difference where the certificate came from? On the back of the certificate, they list all locations but how do I know which lab did the actual grading?

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i've personally felt that because of all the controversy surrounding EGL certs, i just didn't want to deal with them. why get a cert if you have no confidence in the numbers. i would just stick to the good ol' reliable AGS and GIA.

that being said, you may find a great EGL diamond at a nice price. they tend to be a little less expensive than AGS/GIA ones. just make sure you have other documentations like a sarin report to help back up the EGL. sending if off to trustworthy appraisers like RockDoc is always helpful too.

just my babbling...
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am happy with the EGL-USA certs I see, but would never consider an EGL without the USA after the name.
Those from Israel and Antwerp are often very generous with their grades.

EGL-USA announced recently that they have demanded US customs ban non EGL certed stones from entering the country. This will be good for US consumers in my opinion. I wish the same could happen in Australia.

manechka

Rough_Rock
Thanks. So, if I understand correctly, if certificate says EGL-USA on main cover, then it is American and not European. Or should it say EGL-USA inside certificate as well?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results