shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL certificate question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

95125eddie

Rough_Rock
I have an EGL cert (not EGL-LA) for a 0.70 ct,VS1-G round diamond I purchased in 1992.
I had this stone remounted into a new setting, and was told by the jeweler that this certificate is not entirely accurate by todays standards. The stone is fine he emphasized, but it is closer to an H rather than a G.
Would this be your belief too, that an EGL is, um, rather useless?
Thanks in advance!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
No.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
95125eddie, welcome to the forum :)

It was an opinion in the industry that EGL certificates are less strict than GIA.

EGL NY-USA is now trying to be stricter than GIA.

This question was discussed here before. A few threads on this subject:

[/u][/u][/u]

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
In thinking out loud, if the market is being driven by all stones certed by GIA, would this 1. put pressure on them to grade softer or harder; and 2., would the graders be so overtaxed that mistakes could happen?

If indeed EGL is trying to gain more confidence in the industry/consumers, how long would it take for such confidence to take place?

Is EGL indeed trying to do such?

Also, I wonder, if consumers have more confidence in a GIA cert would they be less likely to have it "checked out" leaving many misgraded stones unidentified?

In the past say 3-4 months, what's the appraiser's read on the accuracy of EGL & GIA certs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results