shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Well, I''ve been looking online at various sites and came across a diamond that sounds pretty good. But my only reservation is that it''s EGL certified. I don''t know much about this. Are certs from them reliable? Here''s the diamond I was looking at. What are any drawbacks about this particular stone? Is this too good to be true? Any thoughts?

Stock Number AB199771
Certificate: EGL
Shape: Round
Cut: Premium
Carat: 1.25
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Regular Price: $5364
Wire Transfer Price: $5208

Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 6.94-6.92-4.24
Depth Percentage: 61.2 %
Table Percentage: 59 %
Girdle: M
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None (Inert)
Special Notes: Beautiful Cut

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/19/2009 5:07:48 AM
Author:Laura27
Well, I've been looking online at various sites and came across a diamond that sounds pretty good. But my only reservation is that it's EGL certified. I don't know much about this. Are certs from them reliable? Here's the diamond I was looking at. What are any drawbacks about this particular stone? Is this too good to be true? Any thoughts?

Stock Number AB199771
Certificate: EGL
Shape: Round
Cut: Premium
Carat: 1.25
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Regular Price: $5364
Wire Transfer Price: $5208

Diamond Proportions:
Measurements: 6.94-6.92-4.24
Depth Percentage: 61.2 %
Table Percentage: 59 %
Girdle: M
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None (Inert)
Special Notes: Beautiful Cut
Hi Laura,

EGL are said to be soft on grading in some circumstances compared to the top two labs GIA and AGS. It can also depend on which EGL lab with EGL USA said to be the strongest of the EGL labs, EGL Israel, Antwerp etc less so. The best advice is if you find an EGL graded diamond you like, to make the sale final on an independant appraisal - and get this in writing.

Also do you have the crown and pavilion percentages or angles for this diamond please? These are needed in order to get a better idea of how this diamond will look. The table is a bit larger than many we see here but if you post the crown and pavilion then that will give us a better idea.

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Well crap, they don''t have that cert available online yet so they''d have to e-mail it. But on the website they don''t have those percentages listed. What kind of numbers should I be looking for as far as table is concerned. I don''t know if you need this info but, I''m in the preliminary stages of seraching and am looking for 1.00 to 1.25 ct but would sacrifice size for quality. A 1.00 ct should look substantial enough as I have about a size 5 finger, don''t ya think?

Perhaps I should just exclude any EGL diamonds from my hunt. It seems like the prices are a bit lower so that made me wonder. But I guess with an appraisal and a 30 day return policy it really couldn''t hurt to try?

moonlite

Rough_Rock
I had bad experience with EGLUSA certified diamonds, one graded VVS1 and another VS1 came back as VS2 by the GIA. I''ve sticked with GIA or AGS ever since.
25.gif

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Laura,
If you were shopping for a $2500 1.25ct, the actual grade makes less of a difference.
On a $5000 1.25ct, one color shade error ( common on an EGL report) can mean hundreds of dollrs differnece in the price. On bigger stones the difference quicly escalates into the thousands....
On better quality stones, such as the one you seek, my advice is to stay away from EGL altogether.

Laura27

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the advice! I thought that the prices on the EGL stones seemed a little lower than those with a GIA cert. And that definitely raised some concern. I guess it''s better to be safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results