shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
I am gathering this is not a good Cert compared to GIA and AGS. If this is true, how come?

Thanks!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
if u do a search on egl u will come up with alot of previous posts on this issue and be able to find out for urself why.

gd luck
5.gif

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
The foreign EGL labs are too lenient in their grading. The U.S. EGL labs have a better reputation.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Thanks tomatoe..I got my answers

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Don't dismiss diamonds just because it is EGL certified. EGL USA certs are just as accurate with less of the premium attached.

rodent.gif

k-man

Rough_Rock
I've read the posts on the different certs EGL, GIA, AGS, GemScan etc. Being new to diamonds and the whole scene I consider myself pretty unbiased. I recently bought a GIA certified diamond from an online vendor and had it graded by my local EGL people (I'm in Toronto, Canada). Having not seen the GIA cert, the EGL people graded it identical to the GIA one - except for the dimensions of the stone which was 0.01 mm different.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Thank you all. I am SO new to this. I had NO IDEA how much was involved when purchasing a diamond. If it weren't for Zales trying to get over on my dear fiance, who is much more full of knowledge now as well, we would have a ring that we thought was great...

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
heehee. its great that u r on pricescope now, lotsa information and helpful people around. only thing is having too much information and becoming really obsessed with finding the ultimate diamond!
eek.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
One other thing to note is that since you are considering an H SI2..be sure that thing is EYE CLEAN. EGL certs can be more lenient, depending on the lab that graded the stone, so sometimes an SI2 is more like an SI3 or an I1. But if its eye-clean then it really doesn't matter. Just be sure you can't see any inclusions without a loupe.

kathio22

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I will definitely keep this in mind as we shop around!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Kathio: As long as you plan to get the stone independently appraised (meaning by someone other than the seller or someone the seller chooses), you may be able to secure an EGL stone at a GREAT value.

Because EGL's grading has historically been less consistent or less reliable than those of AGS or GIA, their stones typically don't carry the premium that AGS/GIA stones can. In short, you could take the exact same stone, and it would cost more with an AGS/GIA report than it would if it came with an EGL report.

Where you're trying to reach the 1.25 mark in your stated budget, I think you should absolutely consider EGL stones.....they could help you get there. Just make sure you plan on getting it independently appraised to verify that it is what EGL says it is.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/20/2003 3:55:31 PM aljdewey wrote:

Kathio: As long as you plan to get the stone independently appraised (meaning by someone other than the seller or someone the seller chooses), you may be able to secure an EGL stone at a GREAT value.

------------

Yes, and also as Magna said, don't dismiss a stone based soley on EGL grading. Plus, while perhaps not as reliable than angles, EGL will supply the crown & pavillion %. The color on my EGL stone held up quite nicely (actually better). The clarity did not fair as well and was borderline SI2 instead of SI1 - BUT - the price more than reflected this discrepency in clarity grade. EGL stones can be a good value & have the bang for the buck.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results