shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Cert - Would you buy this? What''s fair?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
The HCA gives this a .8 and it looks beautiful in the online pic... but it''s EGL Israel! How much would you pay? Or would you stay away from it altogether?

1.14 RD E VVS1.jpg

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I believe that EGL rounds off the crown & pavilion percentages, so that HCA score might not be entirely accurate.

EGL Israel has a reputation for being off at times on colour and clarity. I wouldn't consider the stone, principally because the table is a little big for my tastes, but if you like it and it meets your wants/needs, get it independently appraised & make sure it checks out.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the price. Also, I would have the stone independently appraised. If the price matches the "appraised" specs, then no harm no foul unless you are out some money if you have to return the stone. Also, EGL Israel rounds up or down with the crown & pav. %; so, the % are not that accurate & could reflect a significant swing on HCA. That said, the diamond could be nice if you approach w/ prudence & caution. Manys vendor call into question the reliability of EGL/Israel certs.

Good luck.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Totally agree with everything said previously.

I get the sense this is an ebay offering, so I'm not sure if you have the ability to return it if it doesn't appraise well. If that is the case, I'd pass on this stone unless you don't mind a lot of administrative running around on this stone.

If the seller is someone who will give you a good return policy and decent window so you can get it appraised, then it might be a great deal IF it appraises as represented on the grading report.

So you know, EGL grading reports that begin with 23 are generated in Israel, and they are NOTORIOUSLY lenient on grading. If you're determined to go with an EGL stone to maximize your budget, try to stick with one in the US....NY or LA.

antiquediamond

Rough_Rock
Mine's an EGL as well, these are the specs and it's very sparkly, white, clean and beautiful...It begins with the numbers "22" Is that Israel? I thought it was...

H SI1 1.14
Table: 56%
Depth: 62.4%
Pol/Sym: vg/vg
Fl: none
Crown ht: 15 (% pr angle)
Pavilion angle: 43%
6.70 x 6.65 x 4.16
Girdle: medium, faceted

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/2/2003 3:50:40 PM aljdewey wrote:

If the seller is someone who will give you a good return policy and decent window so you can get it appraised, then it might be a great deal IF it appraises as represented on the grading report.

<>----------------

Al, I think it's a good deal if it appraises for the appropriate specs paid for.

For example - the EGL cert states E/VVS1. Say he pays an H/VS2 price. If the appraisal comes back and states that the stone is an G/VS2 he's still ahead of the game. In the end, if one pays for the proper specs, then one is getting a fair deal.

A caveat to this approach is that you *may* rack up some expenses in doing so. Also, grading by a more accurate lab is less problematic & less work. But then, I'd by a stone without any cert if independently appraised & reports it is what it is.

Just my 2c.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results