shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL Blue Flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redginghamgirl282

Rough_Rock
I could really use your advice!

I have a 1.02 EGL certified round cut diamond as the center of my engagement ring. It is F VS1 and a faint blue flourescence. I wish my fiancee had it GIA, but he didn't for whatever reason (I think EGL was quicker?) Anyways, I have had the ring since January and am starting to notice a light blue tinge to the diamond. Why is this? I know EGL tends to grade higher, so my ring may actually be H color or something, but do they do that with flourescence too? How come I see a light blue tinge to the diamond in certain light?

I want to upgrade eventually and am horribly nervous no one will buy the diamond w/o GIA. At some point, should I get a GIA certificate?

the tree sees

Shiny_Rock
Redginghamgirl,

I''m just a newbie here at PS, but I''ll quote something from an expert, found on this thread:

Fluorescence has a negative impact on only about 2% of gem quality diamonds, usually only those with strong to very strong fluorescence. It might be something as simple as the diamond needing to be cleaned and the dirt and grime is simply more noticeable in direct sunlight. Take the ring to a qualified jeweler in your area and ask them to clean the ring and to tell you if the diamond exhibits fluorescence and if so, to what degree. Note that diamonds perform differently under different lighting conditions and often change appearance in direct sunlight for lack of contrast being imposed upon the diamond by objects in near proximity. Just for the record, I''m a big fan of blue fluorescence within a diamond and many of the diamonds I have owned personally exhibit strong to very strong blue fluorescence...
Todd

Todd Gray

Best of luck.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2009 7:14:26 PM
Author:redginghamgirl282
I could really use your advice!

I have a 1.02 EGL certified round cut diamond as the center of my engagement ring. It is F VS1 and a faint blue flourescence. I wish my fiancee had it GIA, but he didn''t for whatever reason (I think EGL was quicker?) Anyways, I have had the ring since January and am starting to notice a light blue tinge to the diamond. Why is this? I know EGL tends to grade higher, so my ring may actually be H color or something, but do they do that with flourescence too? How come I see a light blue tinge to the diamond in certain light?

I want to upgrade eventually and am horribly nervous no one will buy the diamond w/o GIA. At some point, should I get a GIA certificate?
Jason posted very helpful info for you, here is another page you might find useful.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

As to your diamond, it is possible that the fluorescence is stronger than it was graded, I don''t know what the standards are for grading fluorescence in labs so it might be medium at a guess or you might be noticing the faint fluorescence in some lights. Or it could be reflecting its surroundings or the sky.

If you want to upgrade at some point then having a GIA report might make it a little easier but selling diamonds on the secondary market can be challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results