shape
carat
color
clarity

Egg Watch...how long before my chickens lay?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
All gone!

9happyeggieday.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei & Lyra, thank you for your congratulations. We are tickled pink and very proud of our girls.

Lore, only one of the girls has laid, so egg watch continues! ...and after we get 2 eggs together I must then document until they reach standard size.

Egg watch, no longer eggless watch will continue.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the "finally" eggy! It''s so cute and tiny - I hope it was delicious!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Yay! - glad to see the girls are getting their groove on.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 2:22:58 PM
Author: Steel
This shows a shop bought free range egg v's my fresh eggie. It really is much smaller but I like to think of it as a starter egg. I'm sure they will get bigger. Is this right Lore? You mentioned they will take a while to produce standard eggs.

Edit: I wasn't telling porky pies earlier. I didn't buy any eggs as I had faith in my girls. These were just out of date.
Yes that is a starter egg.
9.gif
Sometimes you get teeny weeny ones and eggs without shells, all kinds of weird egg type creations until they really get going. You should be getting some size 1's out of them in no time at all!

So how was your delicious fresh egg? Those soldiers looked good.....
3.gif
37.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Steel, I haven''t read this thread until today . . . I had been meaning to, but just hadn''t gotten around to it. I guess I just KNEW that today was the day! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
9.gif

Date: 5/23/2009 3:58:49 PM
Author: Lorelei

9.gif
Sometimes you get teeny weeny ones and eggs without shells, all kinds of weird egg type creations until they really get going. You should be getting some size 1''s out of them in no time at all!

3.gif
37.gif
Lorelei, where are these good looking soldiers you speak of???
31.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can I call over for egg and soldiers? They look delicious! Woohoo for the egg!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 4:20:18 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
Steel, I haven''t read this thread until today . . . I had been meaning to, but just hadn''t gotten around to it. I guess I just KNEW that today was the day! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
9.gif

9.gif
Sometimes you get teeny weeny ones and eggs without shells, all kinds of weird egg type creations until they really get going. You should be getting some size 1''s out of them in no time at all!

3.gif
37.gif
31.gif
Steel et ''em.
25.gif

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2009 5:00:37 PM

Date: 5/23/2009 4:20:18 PM
Author: Irishgrrrl
9.gif

9.gif

3.gif
37.gif
31.gif
Steel et ''em.
25.gif
Ah, so they''re toast strips? Or are they more like French toast? Ugh, I''m such a Yank!!!
14.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, the mere thought of Kentucky Fried has been known to produce eggs from even the most stubburn hen
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2009 1:55:26 PM
Got it in one Lorelei!

1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif
hen.gif
1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif

DAY 22.5

My beautiful girls laid one perfect eggie weggie!
kicken!
She was waiting for the chicken dance!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2009 3:39:28 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 5/23/2009 1:55:26 PM
Got it in one Lorelei!

1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif
hen.gif
1236057qd9orpxyzi.gif

DAY 22.5

My beautiful girls laid one perfect eggie weggie!
kicken!
She was waiting for the chicken dance!
LOL! I think it must have been all the activity of the chicken dance shook that egg out + fear of Colonel Sanders.
32.gif

Toast soldiers are buttered toast strips which you dip in boiled egg yolk to have ' proper' soldiers. You can also have marmite toast soldiers which are rather good.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

eggcellentnews.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

April20

Ideal_Rock
yay for your egg!!!!!!

I hope it isn''t 22 days before you get another!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! BIG eggshale! I can''t eggspress my eggscitement enough! I nearly eggsploded with anticipation and I was beginning to get eggacerbated due to the eggscruciating wait! Your starter egg is lovely. A wonderful eggample, but, it''s not all it was cracked up to be...
2.gif
As they eggsplore and eggsperience the art of egg-making, and maybe if the rooster eggs them on, I eggspect the eggsperts to have eggspanding eggs in no time.

And, I''m glad they won''t need to be in eggsile, maybe in the eggs aisle!?

okay, I had been holding off on egg humor for a long time, but it was worth it!

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Yay steel!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
I''m so proud you have a little eggie now! It''s neat to see it compared to a normal one. I''d love to keep up the thread and continue to see how they grow!
9.gif

Do you know which one laid the egg?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will Steel be enjoying another fresh laid egg and buttered toast soldiers tonight?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Day 23

am: No eggs

pm: 1 Egg
hen.gif

So my girls have produced 2 eggs so far! I am so proud of them. I didn''t take a photo of this one as it was in eggsactly the same position and is eggactly the same size. I would guess Ethel is the proud mamma. She seemed to broowark more than usual when I went to take it out plus she is larger and her chicken rubber glove is larger and a deeper red.

runaround1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2009 3:01:03 PM
Day 23

hen.gif

So my girls have produced 2 eggs so far! I am so proud of them. I didn''t take a photo of this one as it was in eggsactly the same position and is eggactly the same size. I would guess Ethel is the proud mamma. She seemed to broowark more than usual when I went to take it out plus she is larger and her chicken rubber glove is larger and a deeper red.

runaround1.gif
Thats a new one!
9.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 3:07:53 PM

Date: 5/24/2009 3:01:03 PM
Day 23

hen.gif

runaround1.gif
Thats a new one!
9.gif
....well it is the correct medical term.
vertag.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 3:29:20 PM

Bee*:Noooooo.You cannot have an egg, they are allllllllll mine.
runawaysad.gif

Meanie
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oyster shell helps provide calcium for the hens and to give good quality egg shells. Grit is also important as it helps digestion, you can provide both and they will help themselves, with the grit if they are having a promenade outside the coop then they will pick some up in the earth scratching around.

You can buy these if there is a pet store which has poultry supplies in, try where you get your layers pellets, they might have some. You can also try them on some mixed corn as well as the layers pellets.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 3:57:19 PM
Oyster shell helps provide calcium for the hens and to give good quality egg shells. Grit is also important as it helps digestion, you can provide both and they will help themselves, with the grit if they are having a promenade outside the coop then they will pick some up in the earth scratching around.

You can buy these if there is a pet store which has poultry supplies in, try where you get your layers pellets, they might have some. You can also try them on some mixed corn as well as the layers pellets.
Very interesting. I will ask at the agri store this week and tell you how I get on. Mixed corn sounds tasty!

Thanks for the advice.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Do you remember I posted about Lissey earlier in the year? The vet thought she would have to be put down and we prepared. Then following steroid injections, PS dust and prayer she began to recover. Well here she is. She loves the chickens; in fact she would love to love them right up close
31.gif
. She stalks the girls and is known to just sit outside the pen, waiting for them to make one false move....

We know it is only a matter of time with her but she has greatly improved since Christmas. We still spoil her and are delighted that she can spend hours hen watching. Whatever makes her happy, makes me happy.

It is the only pic I could use as the others faced the house. Enjoy!

lisseyhenhunting.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so delighted at Lissy's progress! Keep hopeful, you never know! My Ming was living proof that sometimes miracles can and do happen!

Looks like Lissy has put on weight too
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2009 4:52:06 PM
I am so delighted at Lissy''s progress! Keep hopeful, you never know! My Ming was living proof that sometimes miracles can and do happen!

Looks like Lissy has put on weight too
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you for noticing! She has. I love her and will never give up hope. That said - she will never suffer if I have anything to do with it.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay for fresh eggs. Those are GORGEOUS chickens
30.gif
30.gif
super cute kitty cat!!!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results