shape
carat
color
clarity

egg-free cake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
as some of u may already know, my son is allergic to eggs...i''ve given him the odd bite here and there of cakes/cupcakes/cookies that contained eggs, and he hasn''t had much of a reaction. That may be associated as well to the fact that i really only give him a tiny tiny piece and I dont want to risk it by giving him bigger portions...

now we''re approaching his second birthday and i''ve asked some of the local bakeries where I am from and none make egg-free cake...I had an ice cream cake last year for his birthday, but want to do something different this time around...

So my question is : Do any of you have a good egg-free cake recipe that i can use?? Many thanks in advance!!
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can he do egg substitutes? You could use those instead if he can in most recipes.

And vegan cupcakes take over the world is a GREAT dairy and egg free cookbook.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
sorry for the stupid question here, but wat exactly is egg substitutes?

thanks for the book suggestion..ill look around for it :)

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 4:46:18 AM
Author: neatfreak
Can he do egg substitutes? You could use those instead if he can in most recipes.

And vegan cupcakes take over the world is a GREAT dairy and egg free cookbook.

You can find them in the healthfood section of most supermarkets no-egg

I don't know if your son likes cheesecake but it requires no egg :)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2009 5:08:16 AM
Author: msb700
sorry for the stupid question here, but wat exactly is egg substitutes?

thanks for the book suggestion..ill look around for it :)

Oh right you aren''t in the US are you? They are these semi-gross (IMO) things that you can buy everywhere here because somehow someone decided that they were "healthier" than eggs because they had less fat, etc. So a lot of people on diets use them. BUT I think there are a number of them that don''t have any egg at all in them, thus they would also be good for someone with egg allergies. But you might not be able to get it where you are...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
A standard substitution (from one of my grandmothers old cookbooks, which I still use today):

1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce = 1 medium egg

Works for me every time. No difference in taste, that I can see.

LS

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is a great egg-free recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook, I prefer it to the recipes with eggs! I does better in cake than as cupcakes, although they are not bad either!

It''s called Chocolate Snack Cake, here, I found a blog with the recipe and pictures!

http://foodbylorena.blogspot.com/2008/01/chocolate-snack-cake.html

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Vegan Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 cup water

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
Sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar and water. Mix together until smooth.
Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
wow! thank u so much ladies!

neatfreak: hmm..those dont sound too good to me..heheheh....ill try to see if i can find those in our supermarkets, but highly doubt it! i totally loved the book and am ordering it (and a ton of cupcake supplies of amazon this weekedn :) )

deelight: thanks for the cheesecake idea..but just thinking how many i would need to make turns me off!! hahaha

LostSapphire: i would have never thought of substituing eggs with applesauce!! thats so weird..i gotta try that one out...

shimmer: Thanks! i''ve printed it out the recipe and will try it out :)

mayachel: Thanks! but isn''t 1/3 cup veg oil a bit too much? wont the cake be heavy/oily?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2009 12:57:05 AM
Author: msb700
neatfreak: hmm..those dont sound too good to me..heheheh....ill try to see if i can find those in our supermarkets, but highly doubt it! i totally loved the book and am ordering it (and a ton of cupcake supplies of amazon this weekedn :) )

Hehe, sorry I did make them sound unappealing. Many people eat them very happily though! But I doubt you can get them there. The vegan cupcake book is really wonderful though, that should give you a lot of ideas! I''m not vegan and I really like many of the recipes.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend who has lived with an egg allergy her entire life so I can only imagine what you are going through!

You may not want to use "egg substitutes" because they may still contain the egg whites (these are mainly used for people who are watching their cholestrol)

When preparing your own food, you can substitute one of these egg alternatives in your recipes. Each of these replaces one egg (these substitutes may not work as well in recipes that call for more than three eggs):
1 teaspoon baking powder + 1 tablespoon liquid + 1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon yeast dissolved in ¼ cup warm water
1½ tablespoons water + 1½ tablespoons oil + 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet gelatin + 2 tablespoons warm water (don''t mix until ready to use)
1 tablespoon pureed fruit such as apricots or bananas
When cooking at home, always carefully scrub the utensils you''re using in case they have been used on egg products
People with an egg allergy may find that the health food section of the grocery store offers the most options. That''s where you''ll find vegan foods that are made without eggs or egg products.

You may find that the health food section of the grocery store has lots of options, because that is where you''ll find vegan foods that are made without eggs or egg products.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
What? No comment on a CUP of sugar?
9.gif
I'm sure you could get away with 1/4 cup, but the recipe gets rave reviews as is.
Also, I bet that's part of finding something to replace the oiliness of the eggs.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Hey wait...I just looked at Lorena's recipe and hers has a 1/3 cup of oil too
2.gif

Edit: Actually, it looks like the same recipe.

MissMandie

Rough_Rock
Hi msb700,

I also live in Bahrain (i''ve been here for 6 months). Have you tried Vida cafe? I know they make dairy free, gluten free and perhaps egg free cakes (their cakes are delicious!). The cakes they sell in their cafe are generally small, but they do catering so I''m sure they''ll be happy to make a larger version.

Also, here''s a link to a recipe i''ve used before, also very delicious! click

off topic: I wanted to ask you where you get your diamonds from? Do you get them from a local jewellery or get them imported? I''m looking to buy a diamond ring and have looked around locally, but have not been filled with confidence since I seem to know more than the jewellers, and I hate that I can''t see the diamonds out of their sealed box before purchasing. I''m looking to buy online, but I''m not sure which jewellers ship here and what the customs/duty/taxes are like. Any ideas/suggestions?

Mandie :)
p.s. is your son still having issues with textures and gag reflex? I''m a speech therapist and have had some experience with this before. happy to make some suggestions.

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/19/2009 10:01:07 AM
Author: MissMandie
Hi msb700,

I also live in Bahrain (i've been here for 6 months). Have you tried Vida cafe? I know they make dairy free, gluten free and perhaps egg free cakes (their cakes are delicious!). The cakes they sell in their cafe are generally small, but they do catering so I'm sure they'll be happy to make a larger version.

Also, here's a link to a recipe i've used before, also very delicious! click

off topic: I wanted to ask you where you get your diamonds from? Do you get them from a local jewellery or get them imported? I'm looking to buy a diamond ring and have looked around locally, but have not been filled with confidence since I seem to know more than the jewellers, and I hate that I can't see the diamonds out of their sealed box before purchasing. I'm looking to buy online, but I'm not sure which jewellers ship here and what the customs/duty/taxes are like. Any ideas/suggestions?

Mandie :)

p.s. is your son still having issues with textures and gag reflex? I'm a speech therapist and have had some experience with this before. happy to make some suggestions.

Hi MissMandie!!! This is SO weird to have someone else on this forum who lives in Bahrain too!! welcome to the land of a million palm trees (well used to be a million palm trees anyway! :))...

i totally did not even consider Vida as an option!! ill give them a ring tomorrow and see what they have to offer! i've gotten the Vegan cupcakes take over the world book and have tried their recipe/frosting and it isnt so bad actually...im only dreading all the baking/frosting ill need to do..thanks for the tip though
1.gif
1.gif

I got my ring and other random diamond pieces from a jeweler at Seef Mall called "Saraj Jewelery"..unfortunately, you will not be able to convince ANY jewelry store to open up those darned sealed packets for you!! but saraj has some loose diamonds (not AGS/GIA certified though) that you can have a look at..their prices are quite reasonable in comparison to other places..

We dont normally have tax/customs on jewllery pieces. i've recently purchased an item from pearlmans and am having it shipped directly here via fed-ex so i'll let u know how that turns out...you can also use aramex shop-and-ship option (they give u a fwding address in the US & UK which can be used for purchases and they in turn will send out all ur packages to Bahrain)..

i wish this forum had Private Messaging coz id be more than happy to give you more tips and places to be and where to go if ud like
9.gif

ETA: luckily my son is over his reflux and texture issues!! im so relieved...but thanks for your offer to help..truly appreciate it..

MissMandie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply msb700. That''s a great idea to use a mail forwarding service. I hadn''t considered that. I''m looking at buying a ring from James Allen, but they don''t ship to Bahrain, though they do ship to Saudi (go figure), so i''m tossing around a few options. Good to know that Pearlmans ships here, I''ll have a look at their website. I''m disappointed that its so hard to find GIA stones here, I''m waiting to see what De Beers can offer when it opens.

I know what you mean about baking and frosting. I''ve been dying for some of my famous banana cake or cupcakes for about a week but I''m too lazy to actually make them (I blame it on my broken foot and toe!). I hope the birthday cake and party all go well.

Its annoying that there''s no private messaging on pricescope, thanks for offering your help though. I''m getting to know Bahrain pretty well and love the (somewhat dry) palm trees. I was expecting much nicer beaches for an island, but hopefully someday.

Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results