shape
carat
color
clarity

Effects of heat on Garnet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Anyone know if there are any effects of applying heat to a garnet? Would it cause fractures or reveal ''pockets'' or what? or is there no effect of heat on garents?

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
From what I understand it burns and turns black. Exception is demantoid which is sometimes heated.

Regards,
Maurice

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OK.. cool thanks MJO

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How much heat are you thinking of? Garnets are not very heat sensitive. When I cut a stone, they are held on the dop with wax. The dop is a brass rod that I heat pretty darn hot (too hot to touch, and hot enough to melt the wax). The stones end up getting pretty hot on the top while the dop and wax cool. Certain heat sensitive stones, opal, apatite and some tourmalines, I will glue to the dop to avoid the heat. If a garnet is inclusion free, it can withstand a lot of heat with no ill effects. I know of no heat treating enhancements for garnets.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/14/2005 11:31:19 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
How much heat are you thinking of? Garnets are not very heat sensitive. When I cut a stone, they are held on the dop with wax. The dop is a brass rod that I heat pretty darn hot (too hot to touch, and hot enough to melt the wax). The stones end up getting pretty hot on the top while the dop and wax cool. Certain heat sensitive stones, opal, apatite and some tourmalines, I will glue to the dop to avoid the heat. If a garnet is inclusion free, it can withstand a lot of heat with no ill effects. I know of no heat treating enhancements for garnets.
I have read that heat treating like sapphire at high temperatures will burn alot of garnets and will not enhance them in any way. The one exception is Demantoid which has be sometimes heated to lighten the tone and bring out the color.

Regards,
Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results