shape
carat
color
clarity

Edwardian Platinum Filigree OEC & Rock Crystal Necklace

LGK

Ideal_Rock
What a shock, I know :rolleyes: I've been up to no good again. Ran across an amazing deal on eBay, bid, and just about died of shock when nobody else did and I got it for the opening bid amount. I don't have it in my grubby little paws yet but it should be here very soon.

The piece is really quite lovely- it's a pendant/brooch convertible, with a delicate but substantial 16" original platinum chain with it. The workmanship is absolutely *fabulous* judging by the pics- perfect, perfect filigree and a .62 OEC in the center of the rock crystal piece. The color and cut of the OEC appears pretty great in the macro pics (the seller didn't provide an estimate on color/clarity on the center stone, and for the price I simply didn't care... but it looks white white white in the pics with a nice pattern). The rock crystal piece is intaglio carved with a floral motif. I don't know the total carat weight, but it looks like it's got quite a bit of single cut melee in it. (I'll estimate it when I get my hands on it.) The seller listed the pendant piece as 2.25" including the ornate bail- which is fairly large. I'm wondering if it's a bit smaller actually? Well, I'll see shortly! The chain is great and I'll probably use it for another pendant too.

Can't wait to see it in person! (And the price I paid was absolutely absurd- It's hardly like I neeeeded another necklace :tongue: but, I couldn't resist it for the price.)

platpendant2.jpg

platpendant7.jpg

platpendant6.jpg

platpendant1.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
That's all the pics for now, from the original listing... I'll add more and some neck shots for scale when it arrives :bigsmile:

platpendant3.jpg

platpendant4.jpg

platpendant5.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl:
Well done! But I can't help being nosey :cheeky: what was the bid price? :naughty:

stlc

Rough_Rock
OMG!!!! :love:
*stlc steals LGK's Edwardian and runs away laughing madly*

You are SOOO lucky! This is a really really amazing piece! :naughty: I'm open for gifts! lol!

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Gosh LGK - that is a really lovely piece. Big congrats, I love it!!
Abi

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow great find :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, that is so pretty!!! :appl:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LGK, that is GORGEOUS. I hope you post many neck shots, and many details! I adore the detailing of the Edwardian period - I can never decide what I like better, its delicacy, or the boldness of the Art Deco!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK, You're amazing!! And, so is your new necklace! :appl:

I've always noticed those necklaces on ebay. I'd like to get one . . . one day. That's a fairly large OEC in this type of necklace, no?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
LGK - That truly is a gorgeous piece, you are so lucky to have found it! Congrats!

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
OMG.....thud! That's beautiful!!!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I've been watching a bunch of necklaces like that (also called camphor glass) on eBay, and have never run across one like that, with such a large diamond. Gorgeous! Looking forward to pics when it arrives.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, that is pretty! What a great find! I'm sure it will look even lovelier in person.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
wow, can't wait to see the pic. of the item on you~ congrats!!! :appl:

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
LGK!! How do you always find these stunning pieces??? I love your finds! So exquisite, please post pics. Would love to see how it looks from a real life perspective.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It came it came! Will have to do pics after work tonight. It's even prettier in person- and indeed larger than you'd think- and the center stone is exquisite. The cut is incredible, it's perfectly white, and no visible inclusions. It is, however, dirty- and will need some soaking I think. But yeah, it's awesome in person!

(I paid $1500).

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ooo I like this very much! Do you think you'll wear it as a pin or predominately as a pendant? Love the versatility-great find!!

eta: the cut of the diamond looks exquisite-glad you are pleased!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow- this is really unique and stunning!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous! I'm a big fan of rock crystal and camphor glass jewelry. ;-)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous-I can't wait for real life pics! Congratulations!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm positively green with envy! :naughty: What a pretty necklace! Can't wait to see your photos.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that is absolutely gorgeous! Great find! I can not wait to see more pictures.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK I've totally failed to take any good pictures tonight. :knockout: I've got one blurry iPhone pic that shows the scale IRL at least. I'll have to try again tomorrow during the actual daylight hours.

Instead, how about some thoughts on ham brought to you by our one eyed blue kitten. :twirl:

Dexter, aforementioned kitten, was in a shelter for his whole short life (he's appx a year old, but still acts 100% spastic kitten). He, therefore, had never experienced real meat before. I gave him a slice of ham the first day we had him. He swiftly realized that the ham came out of The Ham Portal, a.k.a. the refrigerator. The Ham Portal opened, the ham appeared, and so he made the instant connection- that is, fridge opens, ham comes out. (His mama didn't raise no stupid kittens!) And ham, of course, was the food of the gods. So any opening of The Ham Portal must be *closely* supervised. Very closely. Even if ham doesn't happen every time... there's always a chance of ham! Therefore, it's best to be there, quivering in anticipation of possible ham, just in case.

So, this afternoon I gave him a slice of ham again- er, well, several slices since he has a hollow leg or three. So, he stuffed himself full, then realized a new and awesome thing. Ham can be a toy, too! He was hurling the ham up in the air, then himself, then pouncing on it. Finally he started racing full tilt about the house, single green eye gleaming gleefully and tail straight up, with his ham slice (a bit worse for the wear) flapping in the breeze. Eventually he got hungry again and ate the ham slice. Then, the tragic truth hit him. :-o :-o His toy was gone! :blackeye: Oh woe was kitten. No ham. No toy. Sadness! :(( Apparently ham doesn't make the ideal toy after all... :(sad :(sad

(He has thus far lost *every* toy of his- and there must be more than a half dozen somewhere. But, anything, from paper towels, to bare human toes, can be an excellent toy- excepting, apparently, ham- so he's got it covered.)

Right now he is *finally* in a limp exhausted puddle of blue fluff, having tried to eat my toes for the last half hour, pounced repeatedly and gleefully on elderly O.P. until O.P. hid, dashed down the hall at Warp Eight Zillion followed by a long slide on the hall rug (about a dozen times), lunged headlong down the stairs over and over, and finally shredded a roll of paper towels. It's tough work being a ball of boundless energy! And, there was no ham forthcoming from the Ham Portal, even though it opened a couple of times, which was very disappointing.

Anyway, ham and crazed kittens aside:

Happybear, I don't mind sharing what I paid- $1500. :twisted:

Stlc- too late! It's securely in my hot little hands, haha :lickout:

Laughinggravy0- thank you!

Amysbling- Thanks!

Diamondseeker2006- thank you ::)

Circe- I know right? I love both also; this one is totally Edwardian, very feminine. I'll have to get to work with the pics tomorrow!

Loves Vintage- yeah, it's the only one I've ever seen with a larger center stone like this. It's subtly different than the typical camphor necklace- in fact I don't really think it is one, the glass (or crystal, I'm not really sure) is finished differently for sure. It's pretty unique all the way around.

Dragonfly- yeah, I just about died of shock when nobody else bid. The seller didn't include the words "edwardian" or even "art deco"- just "art nouveau" which had a lot to do with it I think.

Gemdandy- :tongue:

Selkie- I love camphor glass pieces too! I'm honestly not really sure if this is one or not- it's hard to tell if it's crystal or glass (like I said above); it's metalwork is a bit different style too. I think it's a bit earlier than the camphor pieces actually, though I'm not positive.

Kittybean- thanks! So far I love it, it's just the right length of chain (short) for the large-ish pendant.

Minmin- I'll get on the pics soon, promise! :))

SandyCheeks- I'm an obsessive eBay hunter, I admit it. I've been looking for pendants & necklaces to attach pearls to for about a year, so I have been keeping an eye on them... this one just was a lucky find, the listing was not well key-worded. (Definitely too large for a pearl to be added, so that search will continue!)

Coati- I think it'll be a necklace mostly. I don't trust myself with fine-jewelry brooches, I forget them on blazer lapels and consequently lose or step on them too often. It's much safer on my neck!

Winks_Elf- Thanks! Yep, I do love the camphor pieces especially, too.

Thing2, Hotpozzum, & Burberrygirl- thanks! :bigsmile: What would I do without you guys to enjoy sparkly stuff with? :bigsmile:

newnecklace.JPG

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVED your story about your kitten and the "Ham Portal". :lol:

My two dachshunds (15 week old puppy & another almost 1 yr old) are well aware of the "Food Portal" AKA fridge and prefer to sit closely in front of it whenever inside just in case something should fall out. Sometimes I open the fridge without looking and knock them over! Whenever I'm in the kitchen -I just look down and see 4 beady eyes and 2 long pointed noses following my every move! :bigsmile: Don't animals just bring such much joy to your heart?

stlc

Rough_Rock
loooooooooooooooooool! I love your kitten story! Can't wait til I can settle down (do a lot of travelling) and have pets in my home again =)

oh I forgot to add! Its looks amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing on you!!! sigh. You win. :(sad

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Great kitten story - well described too : )
And ohhhh that necklace, great price, good for you!

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
THUD! What an amazing piece!! That is truly gorgeous.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Great find LGK, it's gorgeous! Like Selkie said, you often see them but with a little chip in them, nothing like yours with that fabulous stone and filigree, I love the chain but something says to me you might wear this on a black velvet ribbon on occasion? Awesome find!

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
FanTAStic! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Okay. I took a bajillion pictures- yes, this is the technical term. There was good sunlight today. (I'm sure plenty of passers-by thought I was insane, juggling the camera trying to photograph my neck; oh well, they're used to me around here!)

Besides the new necklace, just for fun, I also took pictures of: my 3.39 ct OEC with the tapered French cut setting by Victor Canera, my 1.22 ct later-cut OEC set in a period 1920s setting, and my earrings which are Victorian sterling filigree with old mine cuts (dunno what size the center stones are- a HUGE part is hidden under an enormous bezel edge.)

groupshot1.jpg

groupshot2.jpg

groupshot3.jpg

groupshot4.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results