shape
carat
color
clarity

ectopic pregnancy???

charbie

Ideal_Rock
GAH! I''m ready to pull my hair out.
First of all, what I''m experiencing is rare, so a) I don''t want to freak anyone out, and b) I understand if no one has answers and only can offer support.
Ok, so after my D&C last week, I thought that now I was only left to deal with my emotional healing.
Today I got a call from my doctor that the results from my D&C specimen came back, and there were no chorionic villi present in the sample. He asked me to come in again today (I''m a regular now...haha) and they took another quant, and did another ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a bit of fluid behind my uterus, but no other issues. However, the absence of the chorionic villi means the sac probably was a pseudo sac and I still could be facing an ectopic pregnancy. Its so weird that all of this is going on!
I''m not experiencing much localized pain, and don''t feel pregnant, but now I''m waiting for them to see if my betas rose. Has anyone experienced an ectopic pregnancy before? Does anyone know someone who has?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Awe I am so sorry Charbie, I am sorry that I have no other words of advice
7.gif
I hope you get this straightened out soon!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Charbie, I''ve got nothin! Jeeze, when it rains it pours, huh?

Can they do an u/s to see if there''s anything going on in the fallops?

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 5:27:11 PM
Author:charbie
GAH! I'm ready to pull my hair out.

First of all, what I'm experiencing is rare, so a) I don't want to freak anyone out, and b) I understand if no one has answers and only can offer support.

Ok, so after my D&C last week, I thought that now I was only left to deal with my emotional healing.

Today I got a call from my doctor that the results from my D&C specimen came back, and there were no chorionic villi present in the sample. He asked me to come in again today (I'm a regular now...haha) and they took another quant, and did another ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a bit of fluid behind my uterus, but no other issues. However, the absence of the chorionic villi means the sac probably was a pseudo sac and I still could be facing an ectopic pregnancy. Its so weird that all of this is going on!

I'm not experiencing much localized pain, and don't feel pregnant, but now I'm waiting for them to see if my betas rose. Has anyone experienced an ectopic pregnancy before? Does anyone know someone who has?

My mom had an ectopic pregnancy a few years ago. I remember I woke up in the morning to the sound of her screaming in pain and when I went into the hallway I saw her passed out on the floor. My stepfather called 911 and they got her to the hospital and found out it was an ectopic pregnancy. She had surgery pretty quickly after that. I don't think she knew she was pregnant before that happened, so she was shocked to even find out that's what the pain was from.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, Charbie, you've been through so much the last few weeks. I hope they figure this out soon for you.

ETA: I realized my post probably sounded a little scary but I didn't intend for it to be that way at all. My mom had no idea she could have even been pregnant so when she began feeling discomfort, nausea, and progressively worse pain she thought it was a virus or something and basically just ignored it (well as much as she could). She didn't consider it could be an ectopic pregnancy so she didn't go to the ER until she finally passed out and was taken there. I wish this wasn't happening to you, but it's a good thing the doctors have warned you about this and are looking into it for you. And now if you do feel any pain you'll know to go to the doctor right away.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2010 5:27:11 PM
Author:charbie
GAH! I'm ready to pull my hair out.

First of all, what I'm experiencing is rare, so a) I don't want to freak anyone out, and b) I understand if no one has answers and only can offer support.

Today I got a call from my doctor that the results from my D&C specimen came back, and there were no chorionic villi present in the sample. He asked me to come in again today (I'm a regular now...haha) and they took another quant, and did another ultrasound. The ultrasound showed a bit of fluid behind my uterus, but no other issues. However, the absence of the chorionic villi means the sac probably was a pseudo sac and I still could be facing an ectopic pregnancy. Its so weird that all of this is going on!

I'm not experiencing much localized pain, and don't feel pregnant, but now I'm waiting for them to see if my betas rose. Has anyone experienced an ectopic pregnancy before? Does anyone know someone who has?

Fortunately they know it might be a possibility so they can figure it out before it gets too complicated (ectopic pregnancies can rupture causing severe complications).

I never had one myself, but have known a couple women who have had them. Both were fortunately caught quite early and were able to have them surgically removed. Neither had ongoing complications (and had further successful pregnancies).

Hopefully it turns out that they are just being vigilant and there is no ectopic pregnancy. I am sorry you are going through this though....it certainly does not make the healing process any easier.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes, I sure hope you don''t have an ectopic! Have you had any chills, nausea, shoulder pains or fever? Those are all symptoms.

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Charbie - I do not have personal experience with an ectopic but my best friend did recently have one.

Here''s what I can tell you:

1. She was in a LOT of pain. The pain began slowly and felt similar to cramps. However, over 24 hours the pain turned into a very bad pain but it was not
constant, more like every so often she''d experience a sharp pain.
2. She didn''t get any help on day one figuring she was getting AF. On day two no AF and the pain was still coming and increasing in intensity.
3. She started to feel "not good" - she felt very tired and sick. Started to think that what she thought was AF coming was really the flu.
4. At this point the pain had gotten to the point where she would double over when it struck. She finally went to the ER.
5. The first thing they did was have her POAS - she tested positive almost immediately.
6. The did an ultrasound and couldn''t find anything in her uterus. The tech slowly began expanding to include her tubes.
7. The tech immediately noticed the tube wasn''t right and was bulging with fluid.
8. She was rushed into laproscopic surgery where they removed the pregnancy along with her tube.
9. She was sent to recovery and subsequently home - didn''t even have an overnight stay.
10. Had no stiches, they glued her incisions.
11. She took a week off and stayed home - stated she had mild discomfort but nothing compared to the pain she was in.
12. Went back to work within a week and was back to her old self around week 3.
13. A follow up exam confirmed she was healing nicely and the surgeon saw no reason why she should ever worry about conception in the future.

She shared that the procedure was quick, the scaring was minimal and overall she felt significantly better within a week. She said the first week home she was mildly uncomfortable but only took over the counter pain relievers. At first she struggled - thinking that this meant she could never have children. I tried as best as I could to keep her from thinking about the unknown and to wait until her appointment to talk to the Dr. regarding the likelihood of becoming pregnant. Her OB echoed the sentiments of the surgeon and explained that plenty of women are able to get pregnant after having a tube removed.

I know it''s not from the first person - but I hope some of this is helpful and maybe even comforting in some way.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
My mother had one when I was a little kid. She had to have surgery ASAP. She found out while traveling, and it was pretty scary because she had to have emergency surgery away from home. I wish I could comment more. I''m sending you lots of healing dust so that everything works out.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh Charbie, I''m sorry this saga continues for you. I don''t have anything to add except it sounds like your doc is handing the situation appropriately...just make sure that if the betas went up they get a good complete ultrasound to look at your tubes. And if you start having any weird symptoms like the ones listed in previous posts, get thee to the doc immediately. I do know that if it is indeed an ectopic, it can be taken care of and you can go on to have completely normal pregnancies in the future. Keep us updated...I''ll be thinking about you. *hugs*

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Saying you have an etopic pregnancy will elicite lots of frightened gasps and for good reason. If caught early, it is perfectly treatable without longterm problems. The problem is that it is almost never caught early. I knew a woman who started bleeding uncontrollably on a plane because of it. They were able to save her, and she did have kids some years later, so it does not have to be damaging.
When not caught early there is extreme pain, etc that you hear about, but if that is what you have, the doctor will get it ot before any problems and you should be fine, so don''t panic.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Charbie, I''m really sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much. I really hope that you do not have to deal with an ectopic pregnancy, too.

Just wanted to let you know that I''ve known a few women who have had ectopic pregnancies, and all of them were able to have children later. One of them was my MIL, and she went on to have DH not too long after.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
((((((((((((((((((CHARBIE)))))))))))))))))))) I am so sorry this saga keeps continuing for you! I hope that things are resolved soon and that you are a-ok physically.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
HH: I mean, seriously. WTF. I just said to DH last night, "can't anything ever come easy for me? Why does everything hhave to be done the hard way?" And I was just talking about the d&c! At this point I'm just
20.gif
and saying, "bring it. What else?" He looked at my ovaries, but apparently you can't always tell in the tubes. It is diagnosed by exclusion he said. Basically rule everything else out.

Allie: thanks for the support. The positivity from people makes me smile.

Lilac: I'm so sorry your mom went thru that...and it had to be terrifying for your family! I'm honestly not too scared right now, my doc is being precautious and honest, which is my preference. I'm glad your mom is ok!

Rai and Kitty: its very reassuring to hear about others going thru this as well. My biggest fear right now is that if indeed it is ectopic, that it will cause fertility problems, so you have no idea how helpful it is to know that your friends have gone on and had healthy pregnancies.

Laila: I don't think I've had symptoms. Of course, my body's so out of whack from last week, so I'm not sure what pains down there are normal right now. Plus the pain meds and prenatals had me a bit "clogged" so my abdomen hasn't been feeling right anyway. However, no horrible pain that frightened me.

KTF: thank you thank you thank you! Your detailed report makes me more comfortable that if this somehow does end up a m/c that it won't be as bad as I'm thinking it could be. I'm glad your friend is ok, and really glad she was able to conceive afterwards. That really does worry me, so hearing that makes me feel ok.

IL: how scary! My doc told me about a patient of his who was in the same boat as me, had the d&c and thought everything was ok. However, she then went on a trip and when she got home, started feeling sick and ended up with an ectopic. Good thing your mom is ok!

Hou and Bella: seriously! I would not believe all this saga drama if it wasn't happening to me! I'm blown away. I appreciate the thoughts and good wishes...I have a good feeling things will be alright. I said to DH, "honey, you know how we lost the baby?" And he says, "umm, yes?" And I said, "no, like, its really lost. Its somewhere in my belly and the doc can't find it." If I couldn't keep my humor in this, id just cry all the time.

Brazen: I feel blessed that all this is happening early, so that hopefully if anything IS wrong we can catch it. I mean, its a great sign that I'm feeling ok, so I'm keeping my chin up and staying positive. Crazy story about the plane! Wow! I don't know what id do!

cara

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear charbie. I have no magic advice, just feel for you. I did smile at your ''lost baby'' though. Hope the docs can figure it out soon and things turn around for you.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry Charbie
7.gif
how sad and frustrating for you

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Charbie, I''m so sorry. I hope you get some answers soon so you can have some closure. Stay strong!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry you''re going through this... I hope they find out what''s going on soon so you can get better...
7.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Charbie, I''m sorry you''re dealing with this.

A friend of mine had an ectopic pregnancy several years ago. They caught it quickly, and although she had some damage to one fallopian tube, it was not too bad. She later went on to have two successful and easy pregnancies.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
WHEW.
doctor called me first thing this morning. my lab results came back and my betas are dropping.
he said, "ok kid. i think it''s over. finally."
he still wants me to be careful, still has no idea why the chorionic villi are MIA, but wherever they are, they aren''t producing horomones in my body anymore, so he thinks i''m on track to be my normal, fertile self in the next couple of weeks.

and my adoreable DH says last night, "could you die from an ectopic pregnancy?" and i said, "it would be very rare, but i guess possible. however, since i''m not in pain or anything, i think it will be ok. plus it is really early, and the doctor is being very precautious." and he says, "good. ''cause i really can''t be a single father to these dogs." poor guy was getting nervous.

luvinlife

Shiny_Rock
Charbie

Thanks for the update. I am so happy to hear you are on the road to recovery :)

also, your husbands comment was really cute...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww, what a sweet hubbie!

Glad you''re on the mend!

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Charbie,

Sorry I am late to the thread, what a nightmare!

I am so sorry for all the scare but happy to hear that the Doc thinks everything is better. I am so glad that you have a truely sweet and supportive DH to help you through it to.

Lots of (((HUGS))) and take care of you!

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I have been watching your thread charbie, and i am glad everything is ok.
1.gif

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Soooo glad it''s not ectopic!!! Hope you feel a huge sigh of relief after the doctor''s news! What a cute hubs you have!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Charbie~ So glad to hear that it''s not ectopic! Lots of dust for your body to recover completely and get preggo quickly!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Glad to hear your betas are dropping and it''s not an ectopic. Hugs. Hang in there.

plantationcatt

Shiny_Rock
Thinking of you. Your DH is a wonderful DH and he''s going to be a wonderful father (and you a wonderful mother!)

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad it sounds like things are resolving.

I've had two ectopic pregnancies. The second one they were looking for due to my history and I went in daily for labs till they knew where they pregnancy was for sure. The labs went something like this: you're pregnant, you miscarried, you're still pregnant!, not sure if this is ectopic or not, yes, it's ectopic. Then I elected to have surgery and removed my only remaining tube - I was born with abnormally shaped tubes so this was the best decision for me. I might add this pregnancy was my third (all losses) and my first after doing IVF. Also, on a happy note, my fourth pregnancy (IVF) gave us our now 6 yr old son - the best blessing ever.

The first ectopic was scary. I had NO symptoms until it ruptured, while on vacation with my hubby in Chicago. One minute I was fine and the next I was sweating, doubled over in pain and unable to speak, super pale. My doctor hubby picked me up, threw me in a cab and said "take us to the nearest emergency room." (2 blocks away Thank GOD) He walked in and said "I'm a doctor, she's pregnant and this is probably an ectopic pregnancy," and serious trauma action ensued. I was praying for appendicitis. I lost the baby, tube and 1/2 my blood volume within 10 minutes. My OB told me later than 50% of women who have an ectopic pregnancy that RUPTURES die within 15 minutes. I think most people have at least cramping beforehand. So the caution/ monitoring is worth it even though the emotional rollercoaster is torturous.

I pray all goes well from here on out. We went through years of infertility and loss and the stresses that has on everyone. You are in my thoughts and prayers and let's hope your ride is much easier from here on out! I am rooting for you and sending lots of prayers and hugs your way.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Charbie, I am so glad things seem resolved for you.

Your post was full of technical stuff I didn''t understand, but I have had an ectopic pregnancy (29 years ago). My experience was very similar to Ahappygirl''s report. They rushed me into hospital when I started to haemorrharge and began to experience excruciating pain. Immediate surgery removed a ruptured fallopian tube. So I think you know yourself when something as bad as this is going on and if it were seriously suspected by your doctor, I would think they would keep a very close eye on you.

The good news is that within the year I did become pregnant with Baby Gailey and suffered no further complications.

Two ectopic pregnancies is just plain unlucky and I feel for you Ahappygirl.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whew charbie! So glad it wasn''t ectopic. Sorry you''ve had to go through all of this.
8.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results