shape
carat
color
clarity

Ecclesiastical ring - bishop?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I may have hit a new peak in my collection of odd things: a bishop's ring! It sparkled up at me at the local flea market and I couldn't resist. I'm positive it's amethyst, not pressed glass or something ( the back is faceted), but, oddly enough, the ring itself is silver ... to the best of my knowledge, these were almost always gold. I don't know how old it is, or who it belonged to originally, but I'm certainly appreciative of the craftsmanship that went into its creation as well as its symbolism!

Do any of you guys know anything about ecclesiastical rings? My guess is that it's 19th c. - earlier and the carving would have been reversed so it could be used as a stamp, later and I doubt a gem requiring this level of skill for the custom cutting would be set in silver - but that's purely a hunch. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1394470231.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1394470260.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1394470292.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ecclesiastical ring - bishop?

You find the absolute best treasures! I have no idea about the ring but it is lovely!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Heheheheh - thanks, Redwood! Let me attach a few less-blurry pics, now that I'm home with my lovely sharp edited images at hand:

The workmanship on the stone is outasight gorgeous. But that silver setting really throws me, 'cause the only ones I can find online that resemble it even vaguely look more like the last pic: link, here;http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/signet-rings/amethyst-english-bishop-seal-ring/id-j_96086/

So ... what gives? It's an oddity. Good thing I like oddities!

dsc08838.jpg

dsc08840.jpg

bishop_ring.jpg

chumleygirl

Shiny_Rock

That is an incredible find!! Stunning.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Maybe the original setting was damaged or melted down? You need to melt some wax or tell us what it says. There is a date on there in the bottom right. But I cannot see it well enough. Are those Ds? 1584? That makes no sense because it would have an M. I don't know...

ETA - 1784? MDCCVXXXIIII ?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think it's 1784 ... and I think the word above it is Massachusettensis, which means it's from the Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts (matches the thrice-crowned sword-in-shield sigil!). But when between then and now is a mystery. Was it ever hard to get gold in North America, prior to the gold rush? Hm.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is great! You need to email a pic of the ring to them (Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts ) !!!! Maybe they can help you?

From their website which means your ring might be much later because they were formed in 1784.

"The Diocese of Massachusetts is among the oldest and largest in the Episcopal Church, with 63,250 baptized members in 183 congregations. It officially dates from 1784 when delegates from a few struggling parishes around Boston met with others in the first convention of the Episcopal Church since the Revolutionary War. "

diocesan_seal_blue.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Ha, yes, it's almost exactly like that ... the key and crozier don't extend nearly so far, but other than that it looks like the same design! I will poke around their website for history/contact info ....

More importantly, thank you for taking the time to check! I really appreciate that!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is an awesome find and totally you!

:appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results