shape
carat
color
clarity

EC table 64% / depth 65.2% ... too close?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
Dear EC experts

I have read that an EC''s table should be smaller than it''s depth.

I am looking at a diamond with 64% table and 65.2% depth. Is this difference too small to have the desired effect?

Would you consider this diamond to be shallow at 3.37 mm (L7.06 x W5.17)?

Many thanks in advance
E

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 5:51:57 AM
Author:ErikaFlute
Dear EC experts

I have read that an EC''s table should be smaller than it''s depth.

I am looking at a diamond with 64% table and 65.2% depth. Is this difference too small to have the desired effect?

Would you consider this diamond to be shallow at 3.37 mm (L7.06 x W5.17)?

Many thanks in advance
E
Hi Erika

The diamond could actually be fine, do you have any images? Or is it for sale from a store?

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
I found it online at blue nile. I have attached the image and GIA report:

http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=17558036&weight=1.10

I apprecaite your views about depth & table ...

Diamond diagram.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, if it is from BN unfortunately they don''t provide images which would help us determine the cut quality of the diamond. All you can do is order it and take a gamble that it will be ok or search among the vendors who have in house stones or might be able to call this one in for you to do the analysis needed.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
no its not too small a difference at all. my EC is 62.5 and 62 table. Its a stunning stone with a crown hight of 11%. You need to know the crown height as well. I personally think the numbers of depth and table seem IDEAL. You just need to know a little more...

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
Lorelei , Bgray - thanks for your comments

I''ve emailed blue nile for more information. However, I suspect they may not know themselves - seeing as they don''t have the diamond to hand.

The crown is most important? ... Where exactly is the crown?

Thanks again, E

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 11:19:11 AM
Author: ErikaFlute
Lorelei , Bgray - thanks for your comments

I''ve emailed blue nile for more information. However, I suspect they may not know themselves - seeing as they don''t have the diamond to hand.

The crown is most important? ... Where exactly is the crown?

Thanks again, E
Thats the crown height, the crown is the area where the uppermost faceting is around the table but as the stone is from BN you won''t be able to get that info as a Sarin scan is needed.

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
Hello Again

It turns out Blue Nile were able to provide more information about this stone. Perhaps you can give me your opinion...

Crown 40.0 degrees / 10.4%
Pavil 43.8 degrees / 52.3%

Medium girdle 2.4%

I''d really appreciate your views

Erika

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
Bump.

Is a 10.5% crown height good enough?
Is a 53% pavillion super deep - or is that typical of ECs?

All the other specs are written in posts above.

Thanks again!
E
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2009 5:09:47 AM
Bump.

Is a 10.5% crown height good enough?
Is a 53% pavillion super deep - or is that typical of ECs?

All the other specs are written in posts above.

Thanks again!
E
33.gif
Crown height is fine, the angles don't tell us much unfortunately, it has to come down to images to get a good idea of the cut quality - put it this way, the diamond could be very attractive or there is an equal chance it might not be.

ErikaFlute

Rough_Rock
Oh thanks Loreil

Thats great advice. I reposted under a different title in case this wasn''t noticed. Just wanted your nod of approval. I may go ahead and order this (I like the ratio) and take the risk without images. I read with ECs that you really need to see them in the flesh. Fingers crossed its a nice as it sounds.

Thanks very much
E

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/5/2009 5:18:07 AM
Oh thanks Loreil

Thats great advice. I reposted under a different title in case this wasn't noticed. Just wanted your nod of approval. I may go ahead and order this (I like the ratio) and take the risk without images. I read with ECs that you really need to see them in the flesh. Fingers crossed its a nice as it sounds.

Thanks very much
E
BN do have a good return policy to give you time to do this, also you could invest in an ASET scope to check this diamond out. But ultimately it comes down to your own eyes, also you could get an independant appraiser who is skilled at evaluating cut look at it for you.

appraiser listing.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Erika,
Regardless of the well meaning advice given, you''re just going to have to depend on the return policy if you buy a diamond without seeing images.
Things like the angle of the corners have a lot more to do with the stone''s personality than a one percent difference in crown height table or depth.
The actual shape and look of the steps is totally dependant on the corners. This aspect is not conveyed on a GIA report.

Therefore a stone could be deemed "excellent" based on crown height table and depth, yet not appeal to you at all.
On the other hand, a stone might totally break all the "PS rules" yet be extremely appealing. Many awesome emerald cuts have the same table and depth, or higher depth than table, or vice versa.

If you go with BN, you''re totally safe- they''ll obviously honor the money back- but I recommend finding a stone from a site that shows actual images.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 12:42:33 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Erika,

Regardless of the well meaning advice given, you''re just going to have to depend on the return policy if you buy a diamond without seeing images.

Things like the angle of the corners have a lot more to do with the stone''s personality than a one percent difference in crown height table or depth.

The actual shape and look of the steps is totally dependant on the corners. This aspect is not conveyed on a GIA report.

Therefore a stone could be deemed ''excellent'' based on crown height table and depth, yet not appeal to you at all.

On the other hand, a stone might totally break all the ''PS rules'' yet be extremely appealing. Many awesome emerald cuts have the same table and depth, or higher depth than table, or vice versa.

If you go with BN, you''re totally safe- they''ll obviously honor the money back- but I recommend finding a stone from a site that shows actual images.

I have bought from Blue Nile and the return policy gives you plenty of time to do some homework

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2009 12:42:33 PM
Author: Rockdiamond
Erika,

Therefore a stone could be deemed ''excellent'' based on crown height table and depth, yet not appeal to you at all.
On the other hand, a stone might totally break all the ''PS rules'' yet be extremely appealing. Many awesome emerald cuts have the same table and depth, or higher depth than table, or vice versa.

Lol PS rules for Diamonds
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results