shape
carat
color
clarity

EC shape - "ideal" cut ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
a jeweler at Carlyle Jewelry showed me an emerald cut stone today. It was called a "prince" cut. The top steps were actually faceted cuts rather than the traditional looking step cut. It was more brilliant b/c of this cut. Other qualities about it made it look like an EC but not those facets. he said it was the "best" cut of the emerald shape diamond. i''ve heard this from another jeweler (bailey banks & biddle). so, is it? if it''s faceted, is it still an EC?

jeannie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
No its not an EC... frankly they should be sued for calling it one....

http://www.princecut.com/patent.gif

hmmmm
the cutting patten looks very familar...
hmmmmmmmmmm
wonder why....
Who ever the patent examiner was sure didn't have a clue about gemstone cuts.
They sure better not try and enforce it would take 5min research to destroy that patent.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/30/2007 11:48:53 PM
Author:shminbabe
a jeweler at Carlyle Jewelry showed me an emerald cut stone today. It was called a ''prince'' cut. The top steps were actually faceted cuts rather than the traditional looking step cut. It was more brilliant b/c of this cut. Other qualities about it made it look like an EC but not those facets. he said it was the ''best'' cut of the emerald shape diamond. i''ve heard this from another jeweler (bailey banks & biddle). so, is it? if it''s faceted, is it still an EC?

jeannie
No..., not an EC..., but definitely a "modified" EC!!!

Its a regular EC or Baguette step-cut modified by what some people call scissor or halves facets...

I think BB&B have exclusivity in some area''s.

Saying it is the best cut of the emerald cuts is not nice
38.gif

PrinceA.GIF

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2007 12:22:59 AM
Author: strmrdr

hmmmm
hmmmmmmmmmm
wonder why....
Who ever the patent examiner was sure didn''t have a clue about gemstone cuts.
They sure better not try and enforce it would take 5min research to destroy that patent.
Commonsense is uncommon

the criss cut etc etc

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2007 7:18:45 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 10/31/2007 12:22:59 AM

hmmmm
hmmmmmmmmmm
wonder why....
Who ever the patent examiner was sure didn''t have a clue about gemstone cuts.
Commonsense is uncommon

the criss cut etc etc
I wonder if Slowensky is a PS lurker
31.gif

esumsea

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2007 12:27:46 AM
It also looks like someone beat the rough with a fugly stick in my opinion lol
http://www.princecut.com/images/1.jpg
Storm, you are hilarious. You hold nothing back. But I have to agree, I like the EC much better than this, but different strokes, you know.
Shminbabe, good luck on your search. If your looking for super brilliance, then the EC is not your cut, and maybe this is. As I am sure Storm would agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, don''t let yourself be drawn in by salesmen with marketing, as slip shod as they may be.
Regards,
Mario

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
i knew it would get a rise out of you guys. thanks for education and the laughs.

actually, i already have my EC. i just like to look. and listen to what "jewelers" have to say about stones.

this guy was nice, so we chatted. he really thought i worked at another store, he was so impressed with my understanding and knowledge. i thought, "if only he knew how little I really know" but gosh, the pricescope education goes a long way.

i was in another jewelry store last week and the sales man was so incredibly snobby (and stupid). at least the guy at carlyle let me look at stones with the loupe, etc, when he knew i wasn''t buying since i was wearing mine. i tell them i''m in the market for a setting. snobby jewelry guy would not reset my stone into another solitaire but would if i were to buy a jazzed up setting. can you believe that? carlyle guy said no problem. both stores were "better" stores, both carrying david yurman and other good brands of jewelry. the carlyle guy gave me a job application, can you believe it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results