shape
carat
color
clarity

EC Questions ...and story

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
So, I''ve been looking for a diamond for an engament ring. I''ve been looking at higher quality ECs and I was in NYC this past weekend to take a friend to a dealer who has serviced my family for years (Diamonds By Janet). I really had no intentions of buying but she tried to sell me pretty hard. I was looking at a 1.56ct F, VSI, Gd, Gd GIA (don''t have all the specs) stone and she wouldn''t budge below $10K, probably cause I wasn''t trying too hard. I thought it was a bit high due to my research.

So... this leads me to the next thing. I''ve always kept my eyes on private sellers as I believe you can get good deals for whatever your buying. Yesterday I ran across a ring locally for sale. Too good to be true? We''ll find out won''t we. It''s a 3.5 ct 3-stone EC ring set in white gold. I just want the center and I''d deal with the sides later. Center stone is claimed to be 2.11ct E-F, VVS1, Excellent Cut and the Sides at .75ea G-H, VSI. He says he''s in a crunch and is looking for the Best offer over $10K and is well aware that this ring is easily a $30K+ ring. He needs the cash, the ring was never given, and is looking for a quick sale. So of course, I''m definitely wanting to find out more and at least meet him at a jeweler that I trust to take a look at this. What do you think. And if any of you track this down and it is legit, and you beat me to it, I''m gonna track you down
emotion-39.gif

Just curious of your thoughts on the both topics.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Since nobody decided to reply, I thought I would update everyone on the 3.5ct 3 stone ring. Since the ring is a 2 hours away, the owner is taking it to a Jeweler of my choice (who is GIA and ACS certified) this afternoon to take a look at it. He will make sure that they are 1) real diamonds (you never know i guess) 2) ballpark the the 4cs since it will be set, he can''t do it completely and 3) appraise it. I quite anxious for this to see if the story checks out. And if it does, I will be going to see the stones on Friday. At that price, it will be hard not to come home with it, even if the diamonds are of a little lesser value.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like you have it under control.
Good luck!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 2:07:57 PM
Author: strmrdr
Good luck!
Ditto!

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
If you feel like the diamond has been appraised by a reputable GIA appraiser, and the stats and price are what you are looking for, then it sounds like you just got an amazing deal!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 2:15:06 PM
Author: Kelli

Date: 2/11/2009 2:07:57 PM
Author: strmrdr
Good luck!
Ditto!
Thritto!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
whilst you''re there looking at it, take yer camera with you and snap a few pics and post for us all to see.

*chancer*

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck!

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Just got off the phone with the Jeweler who is GIA and ACS certified. The seller wanted to not make an ordeal of this and leave the ring for the day or so it would take for the work. Instead we agreed on having the Jeweler take a look at the ring and do a once over to verify the Cs as well as the authenticity just so I would know whether or not it''s worth a drive at least. And the verict!!!

I"M PUMPED. The Jeweler has confirmed that this is in fact a really nice, clear stone. He did some measurements and said it is no doubt in the 2ct range, excellent cut, and close to the E-F/VVSI. He said he would appraise the stone for replacement value in the mid-high $20Ks and he also said at $10K, I won''t be disapointed. And this no to mention the 2 .75ct G-H/VSI EC side stones.

OK, here is where I need advice. I am planning on taking the day off to meet him back at the same store to confirm that the ring is the same one as today''s meeting. The owner has been clear that this is a non-negotiable $10K cash and "we''ll both walk away with smiles on our face." He also has made it clear that he isn''t interested in me coming to meet him and then backing out. He wants me to take a look at it, go into the store to confirm, and then hand the cash. I don''t want to make a committment until I see it which I didn''t and won''t. I guess I can always walk away, but I think based on the Jeweler''s comments, I am going prepared to come home with a dang nice ring.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Everyone!
DCNewbie- congratulations!!
Seeing as how you''re asking, and not to rain on anyone''s parade there''s a few terms you''re using that might not really be what you think.
GIA and AGS do NOT "certify" jewelers.
Not to say anything bad about the jeweler- and maybe he didn''t even use the words "GIA Certified Jeweler". Anyone using that term is misusing terminology.
What''s important here is that you''re getting an individual''s opinion- having nothing at all to do with GIA or AGS or how they would grade the diamond.
Again, not to say anything about the jeweler in particular, rather grading in general. Grading a mounted stone "Close to VVS1" calls the grade into question as the size of a VVS1 imperfection dictates that a stone must be loose to properly identify it..

ejv207

Rough_Rock
Just one thing, do you personally know this jeweler or pick him out of the phonebook? This is a lot of money being put out there in cash, which means if it were me I''d get a second opinion from an independent appraiser. Either bring him/her with me the day of the exchange. If it doesn''t pass muster, you should walk away.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond,

I hear what you''re saying and he didn''t say those words. I think what I meant was, he has been GIA Institute school and their store is a member of the AGS. By no means what this stone graded or certified this afternoon. The stone currently has no certification which I would seek after the fact. I was advised by the Jeweler that he could only grade it and truly apraise it if it were unmounted. All I was advised was that based on measurements, the stone is in the 2.0ct range and the color in the E-F range. As far as clarity goes, I was told that the stone is definitely clean and though he couldn''t confirm any type of VVSI rating, but by using the lupe with the stone mounted it wouldn''t surprise him, and that it is eye clean. Which would probably be sufficient for this 26yr old. The main purpose of this afternoon was for me to having more information in deciding whether or not possibly $10K is a reasonable deal for me to drive a few hours to see if I really like it. That''s it.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
I don''t know the Jeweler personally, however it was a referral from a dear from of mine who has done business with them before

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Look, I know there are a lot of variables here, and so I''m trying to cover my bases as best as possible. I really do feel this guy is in a bind and since he''s been sitting on it for over 20yrs, he just wants to dump it quick. That being said, it is a big purchase, but I''ve learned in my short life and career that the risk/reward principle applies to many things.

ejv207

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 4:16:36 PM
Author: DCnewbie
Look, I know there are a lot of variables here, and so I''m trying to cover my bases as best as possible. I really do feel this guy is in a bind and since he''s been sitting on it for over 20yrs, he just wants to dump it quick. That being said, it is a big purchase, but I''ve learned in my short life and career that the risk/reward principle applies to many things.

OK, if the risk is acceptable, go for it! Congrats and good luck, would love to see it once you pick it up.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
DC_ The last thing I want to do is rain on your parade!!
Thankfully the person you've dealt with seems to have been above board with you.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
I''m definitely a little nervous about this...and I can tell you I feel a lot better after the stone was looked at. I''ll keep everyone posted

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
UPDATE: So I bought the ring on Friday. I had it appraised by a jeweler I trust and know and he appraised thr ring right around $30K. The next plan is to have the center stone unmounted and I''d like to send it to GIA for a certification. I''ve talked to GIA and it doesn''t seem like a big deal and these days has a decent turn-around time. I will get pictures up soon I hope.

I need advice. I am only interested in the center stone even though the entire ring is gorgeous. What are some options that you would recommend in getting the best value for the .75ct g/vsi side stones (1.5ct tw). Possibly sell the setting privately? Trade the diamonds in on the new setting/band? Just need advice. This is what I''m thinking for a setting of course with the EC. http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=193

Thanks for your help.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
if the side stones are nice the person who makes your mounting will probably be willing to make a trade or work with you some deal

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
would you recommned that I have the side diamonds certified as well?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you looking to use the side stones to recoup some of your money? What about having them set into earrings as a gift for another time?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 11:48:32 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Are you looking to use the side stones to recoup some of your money? What about having them set into earrings as a gift for another time?
HI:

You did very well; I''d love to see the ring before you dismantle it! BTW, I''d save the mount and reset a colored stone in it for a future anniversary--or birth or your first child....

cheers--Sharon

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
You all have such good ideas. One idea would to recoup some money. But I like the other ideas of earings. I had thought about that as a wedding gift or future anniversary. And the keep the ring together and add a colored stone, that''s a good idea as well. However, she doesn''t wear any jewlery as it is...small studs, no rings, etc. This is why I''m going back to a solitaire as it suits her better.

I don''t know. Too many options.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
UPDATE!!!

So I did end up buying this stone...and I sent it to GIA and here is the report. I guess the table could be a tad smaller but I think I got a good deal on this stone for $10K, not to mention the sidestones as well (which will become earings). Thanks for everyone''s help. I''ll post pics when the ring is set in it''s new home which Quest is fabricating right now.

1.97ct EC
9.14 x 6.31 x 3.82 (1.48 l/w)
F
VS1
Polish: Good
Symmetry: VG
Fluorescence: Med Blue
table: 69%
Depth: 60.5%
Girdle: thin-medium
culet: small

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results