shape
carat
color
clarity

EC - help needed - completely clueless

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

l3dude

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I have a question about my very recent purchase (#1).
EC #1
Measurements: 6.38 x 4.19 x 2.77 mm
Carat Weight: 0.72
Color Grade: G
Clarity Grade: VS1
Proportions:
Depth: 66.1 %
Table: 73 %
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

My other choice was:
EC #2
Measurements: 5.86 x 4.30 x 3.06 mm
Carat Weight: 0.72
Color Grade: F
Clarity Grade: VS2
Proportions:
Depth: 71.2 %
Table: 66 %
Girdle: Medium
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

Comments: Surface graining is not shown.

Both were about the same price. I am still completely clueless about the proportions and what an EC should look like when I look at it. Both looked nice to me and I pretty much chose the one without fluorescence and one that was little longer (more rectangular) and seemed clearer without visible inclusions (#1). That''s about it.
Can you tell from the proportions of #1 if the table+depth is too big for it too look weird? It will be set in round pave set around the stone.
Thanks in advance :)
K.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif

Here is a chart that you can use to check the proportions.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fnc2.asp

However numbers don't tell it all, especially with fancy cuts, if this EC spoke to you then maybe there is a good chance you bought the right one? Looks like it has a large table according to the chart, but it is up to your own eyes to tell you whether this diamond has the magic and glamour you want. Sorry I am not much help, but if you have major doubts I would keep looking while you can return this one.

l3dude

Rough_Rock
Hi and thanks for your response.
My problem is that diamonds don''t ''speak'' to me.
I just tried to pick one that seemed closest to my price range,wasn''t included and its color was okay.
It was symmetrical, but there''s really nothing to compare emerald to, in my opinion, thus making it hard for me to pick. I''ve read more about them than I can process :)
What does the chart mentioned tell me?
The sales people were extremely helpful, I just really don''t know what I''m doing :)
Thanks in advance.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi there:

The "ideal" numbers for EC''s (according to the chart) are the parameters that should be used as a guide to lead consumers in the right direction. However, the numbers are not "set in stone" so to speak. If you liked that particular stone, and it has fire, and looks good to your eye, then that''s great, and you picked the right one! If your question is in regards to the numbers strictly, then I would say that the table on the first stone is a little large, and the second stone is quite deep. So, neither is better than the other... They are both VS1/VS2, so both of them should be free of visible inclusions, and the color on both is good for an EC. I personally wouldn''t go below a G, but that is my opinion only. My EC is G/VS1, and there is no hint of color or visible inclusions at all.

Good luck!

l3dude

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the info.
I stared at that stone for some time. I've had only these 2 emeralds to compare to each other. EC seems dull to me no matter what, but that's what my sweetheart
17.gif
wants and I'm fine with that.
Without that red light thingie
20.gif
- ideal scope - is there anything I can tell about the Emerald cut stone just by looking at it? GIA cert doesn't say anything about the cut.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA certificate will show the length x width x depth in millimetres and will also give the table percentage and depth percentage as well as girdle width. You can find out the length to width ratio by dividing the length by the width.

The emerald cut is thought of as an elegant classy cut and some like it for its clean lines, whereas they may see the round as overly busy and fuzzy, just personal taste. With the emerald cut a higher clarity is usually required as it does not hide inclusions in the way a round brilliant will due to it look.

The emerald cut does show firey color flashes from its facets and white brilliant flashes from its table. The Color you choose should also be good as lower color shows easier in all fancy shapes.

The crown height can only be obtained by having a sarin report run which some jewellers can provide you with when the stone is unset.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The length to width proportions are better on the first stone but the table percentage is too large, this may be making the stone look dull to you, coupled with the fact that the table percentage is larger than the depth percentage, some have mentioned that the table should not be larger than the depth. Have you asked the jeweller to take in some more stones for you to see. You could compare the look of the stones to some of the diamonds shown online with some of the vendors on here even if you want to buy locally it would give you a look at well cut emeralds.

Here is one I found

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=740&shape=32&ctMin=0.70&ctMax=1.00&clarity=16&color=24&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Compare_Diamonds.aspx?idnos=25836,122583

l3dude

Rough_Rock
Thanks again.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be a surprise, or could you involve your GF in choosing? If you already have the first diamond, maybe you could show her to see what she thinks....If it is to be a surprise then it is harder, but it is so hard with EC''s to have any solid info with which to choose, thats why the eyes are so important and maybe the wearer''s own eyes - your GF''s - might be a big help here if you were both agreeable to that.

l3dude

Rough_Rock
Lorelei,
She picked the setting and we''ve decided that the stone is up to me. So, I did it. I hope the ring looks good. I''ll let you know once it''s done.
Thank you all.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2006 4:59:58 PM
Author: l3dude
Lorelei,
She picked the setting and we''ve decided that the stone is up to me. So, I did it. I hope the ring looks good. I''ll let you know once it''s done.
Thank you all.
Glad to help! I am sure you did well and it is a confidence thing with this diamond! Some fancy shapes may fall out of the '' best proportion'' ranges, but it doesn''t always work that way and some diamonds have an INSANE glamour and magic even though their proportions aren''t considered ideal. So have faith that you picked a great diamond and enjoy the anticipation of giving it to your girl! Pics please when the ring is done!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results