shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebaying while sleep deprived can be hazardous to your budget

anners11

Rough_Rock
So I work night shift and most days I sleep fairly well and get 6-7 hours of sleep during the day and feel well rested. Well for some reason the last week I've been sleeping horribly. So yesterday I get home from work around 8 am and can't sleep so I decide to troll eBay to wind down, relax and hopefully get sleepy.

I love ovals. I love antique stones. I come across this listing for an antique oval in a halo setting. My poor little sleep deprived brain immediately says "Oooh pretty. Oooh unique. Must have." I vaguely remember thinking that the culet was larger than I liked and that the prongs and the stone overall were a bit wonky. But I loved it. The price wasn't bad for the size and so without much thought I went ahead and put an offer on it thinking there was no way they'd take it. And if they did and I didn't like it, I'd just return it. Well, they did. And pretty much instantly. And I confirmed it and paid for it. And happily drifting off to sleep. Doh.

So, they say that driving while sleep deprived is equivalent to driving while intoxicated. And I can honestly say that eBaying is no different. I literally woke up a few hours later and was like "Wait, what did I do? Did I really do that? OMG what DID I DO?!?" I go back and look at the listing and I'm thinking "OK, I do love it. The culet is huge but it gives it some personality. Not sure about the faceting. The prongs are REALLY wonky but likely repairable. It's yellow gold which I'm into right now. The halo stones seem nice." And then I see it. NO RETURNS!!!! OH F. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

So now I'm terrified to get this ring. Yes it's my fault and whatever will be will be. But I could just kick myself. I kind of feel sick about it. Hopefully I have good sleep deprived/drunken instincts and it'll be the amazingly unique antique oval I have been looking for.

Anyway, here are a couple of the vendor shots. Feel free to give your opinions. I'm already mentally preparing myself for the worst for when I get it next week.

antiqueoval1.jpg

antiqueoval2.jpg

antiqueoval5.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ebaying while sleep deprived can be hazardous to your bu

Gosh if it was a good price I really like it. Nice antique oval, love the halo, love everything about it. Hopefully the stones are eyeclean, a colour you are happy with and you are pleasantly surprised when you are not in a sleep deprived state and you get it. I seem to remember doing stuff like that after I having my son in a sleep deprived state too!!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

I wish I found stuff like that when I was sleep deprived! The culet looks darling...agreed with arkie that as long as it was a decent price, don't lose too much sleep over your purchase! Hope to see some nice real life shots soon.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's beautiful! Hopefully it looks that good IRL. The prongs are a bit wonky but that can be addressed - old pieces often aren't perfect. :)

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it's stunning!

anners11

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reassurance! I am feeling better about it. The culet doesn't look so huge today and that was my primary concern. But again, who knows until I actually have it in hand and on my finger.

So I just realized that I didn't put any specs on the original post.

Per the seller the center diamond is 1.2 ct old mine oval 7.19 x 5.95.3.57 J VS2 with 12 small old mine cut totaling 1.3 ct for the halo.

I paid $3650 for it which I think is pretty reasonable if it checks out. What do you all think?

I'm not worried about the warmth. I have an ST OEC and absolutely love it. I'm more concerned with the faceting. Thanks again for the reassurance...I was having a slight freak out :errrr:

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock

I think it is beautiful! If the stones are acceptable to you in real life and the prongs holding securely, all is well! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thinks it's beautiful! I understand about online shopping while "under the influence" -- several years ago, I was about to go to bed and had taken an Ambien for sleep... Needless to say, the next week I received a shipment for a 46" Sony plasma TV from Amazon. :shock:

...at least it worked. :| ::)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love it! Can't wait to hear what you think when you get it! I think the price was really good too!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

That is truly beautiful!!! You did a great job!! I once bought an autographed copy of Roots. Ambien and ebay are a baaaad combo.

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks amazing ;))

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OMG. I am in love!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK I'm prefacing this with I know nothing about ovals but...I absolutely love this! :love: The faceting is gorgeous and it's a fabulous ring! I hope you love it when you receive it! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you seen Miranda Kerr's ring? Yours is very similar!

mirandakerr-1024x765__1_.jpg

Sakuracherry

Brilliant_Rock

I'm glad a PSer bought it! My best offer was declined and I was a little sad :( Please post pictures when you get the ring. It's really beautiful.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's not even my style and I LOVE it! I hope you do too when you get it! Looking forward to pics. :appl:

Diamondless

Rough_Rock

It's beautiful! :love:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

Can't wait to see your photos!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock

Scrumptious!!! Please please post pictures when it arrives!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

I agree with everyone - it's gorgeous! If the prongs are secure I wouldn't mess with them (remember Circe's nightmare?). They add to the charm IMHO.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love it! :love:

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Oh Yay! I was admiring it on ebay. Love that someone picked it up. The culet is a little big but it doesn't look like it takes away from the stone. More pics when you get it :love:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock

Cannot wait to see this! I love it!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wanna have that sleep deprived kind of eye! I hope its as beautiful in person as it looks to be, because that sure looks like it could be a sparklefest!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Wow, not my normal taste but it is beautiful. I look forward to hand shots for sure!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love your sleep deprived/drunken purchase!!! I remember those night shifts --- you get that 'cold to the bone' sensation around 3-4 am and just PRAY that daylight comes far faster than the next hours actually DO pass at! And then being so exhausted but not able to sleep - yes, that sucks!!

So in your stupor, I think you picked a fantastic ring!! I love that stone and while the prongs are a tad wonky, it just adds to its charm! I hope you love it! It will definitely be a ring w a story behind it! :bigsmile:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock

Very pretty ring. Love the old mine cut and tasteful with the halo north/south stones slightly larger .

I personally prefer white gold, that would be my only change for ((me))....looks beautiful and substantial! Wonderful price!!! WOW!!! Almost cant go wrong with that price. Oval is so pretty!

anners11

Rough_Rock

Thank you everyone for the replies and the encouragement! You are all so kind! I am actually looking forward to receiving the ring now :D

I should have the ring tomorrow according to FedEx. I'll be sure to post lots of photos like a good pricescoper.

My two biggest concerns now are making sure that the prongs are secure and seeing how it performs.

----Yennyfire your ring is what got me started passively looking for an antique oval. Your beautiful oval is just TDF! Hopefully mine is like a little cousin of yours.

---Rosebloom you have a very good point. The prongs aren't perfect but thats part of the reason that I love antique pieces. You can tell that it's been worn and loved. So as long as everything is secure, I'll leave the prongs alone.

---Derbygal, oh if only I had a hot man like that to go with my ring! Good eye though, the rings are sooo similar!

And again, thank you to everyone else for your comments. I can't wait for it to arrive!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

anners11|1381699551|3537136 said:
----Yennyfire your ring is what got me started passively looking for an antique oval. Your beautiful oval is just TDF! Hopefully mine is like a little cousin of yours!

I'm flattered! You know, my first thought when I saw it was that it looked a lot like mine! I can't wait to see your photos and hear what you think! :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it is quite pretty. I can't wait to see it when you get it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results