ebay

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Would you trust an ebay seller that:

- has"Top Rated Seller" designation by ebay; this is defined as ebay as:
->Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
-> Ships items quickly
-> Has earned a track record of excellent service

- 100% positive feedback from >500 sales in the past 12 months and over 2500 in total

- they answer emails (though they seem like they are overselling their items in their response..."it's the best diamond you've ever seen")

- I see a variety of buyers in their history, so the buyers seem legit

- offers 7 day return policy

- variety of pictures, including real life photos (I think i recognize the same hand in other photos in their stone buy not sure)

If I buy via PayPal would I be protected if I'm still scammed? What is ebay Buyer Protection?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It would depend on the amount of money, how dispensable that amount was to me, and if I thought the item could be appraised properly. A prearranged appointment with an appraiser like Martin Fuller, who has the equipment and expertise to identify microscopic inclusions and such, and expertise in a wide variety of gemstones, would probably help me feel better.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much are we talking about? That would be my deciding factor... Try a www.toolhaus.org check on the seller ID.

I just bought a stone for ~2.5k and I skipped all the appraisal bells and whistles. For better or worse - the seller answered all my questions (promptly!) and didn't waffle, worked with me on the return policy, sent extra photos that I asked for (not terribly clear ones, but she tried, and that was promising). If they answer your specific questions (make them y/n so they can't dither around, and I like to ask for extra photos, just to be sure they actually have the merchandise & there's nothing sketchy going on - if someone is spending thousands of dollars I think honest sellers will be happy to spend ten minutes emailing a few more pics! Though they're often not clear enough to see much from)

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1313121092|2989090 said:
It would depend on the amount of money, how dispensable that amount was to me, and if I thought the item could be appraised properly. A prearranged appointment with an appraiser like Martin Fuller, who has the equipment and expertise to identify microscopic inclusions and such, and expertise in a wide variety of gemstones, would probably help me feel better.

Thanks - I'll check out Martin Fuller!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1313123329|2989109 said:
How much are we talking about? That would be my deciding factor... Try a www.toolhaus.org check on the seller ID.

I just bought a stone for ~2.5k and I skipped all the appraisal bells and whistles. For better or worse - the seller answered all my questions (promptly!) and didn't waffle, worked with me on the return policy, sent extra photos that I asked for (not terribly clear ones, but she tried, and that was promising). If they answer your specific questions (make them y/n so they can't dither around, and I like to ask for extra photos, just to be sure they actually have the merchandise & there's nothing sketchy going on - if someone is spending thousands of dollars I think honest sellers will be happy to spend ten minutes emailing a few more pics! Though they're often not clear enough to see much from)

I'm looking at something in a similar price range. I'll check out toolhaus...and thanks for the suggestions on how to gather more info and ensure they are legit!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313126639|2989137 said:

Are you in the DC area? I say this because Martin is excellent but he is really pricey IMO due to the real estate he occupies. If you are working remotely there are surely equally skilled appraisers with lower overhead.

ETA- due to paypal buyer protection which I have successfully invoked I consider buying on eBay very very low risk. This seller sounds like no exception. Just ask all the questions you can to minimize chance you'll get the item and want to return it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yssie- great suggestions!!! I will definitely use the "ask for more pictures" in the future. P.S. Not to threadjack- please start a thread soon- dying to see what you bought.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1313149386|2989212 said:

Yssie- great suggestions!!! I will definitely use the "ask for more pictures" in the future. P.S. Not to threadjack- please start a thread soon- dying to see what you bought.

Agreed - want to know what you purchased!!

vashts85

Rough_Rock
kelpie|1313145011|2989198 said:
centralsquare|1313126639|2989137 said:

Are you in the DC area? I say this because Martin is excellent but he is really pricey IMO due to the real estate he occupies. If you are working remotely there are surely equally skilled appraisers with lower overhead.

ETA- due to paypal buyer protection which I have successfully invoked I consider buying on eBay very very low risk. This seller sounds like no exception. Just ask all the questions you can to minimize chance you'll get the item and want to return it.

I had Martin do my appraisal, and though a bit costly, he was really great and took a lot of time with AGS stone and walked me through the whole process. Great experience.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1313158041|2989283 said:

Half a pair of studs! A 1.2 OEC :sun: Thread will come.. eventually. I'm super happy with it - sadly, looking at what's out there now, it looks like I'll have to shell out a whole lot more for its mate :sick:

Good luck central - I'm curious about what you're considering!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1313218491|2989898 said:
centralsquare|1313158041|2989283 said:

Half a pair of studs! A 1.2 OEC :sun: Thread will come.. eventually. I'm super happy with it - sadly, looking at what's out there now, it looks like I'll have to shell out a whole lot more for its mate :sick:

Good luck central - I'm curious about what you're considering!

Oh, 1.2 OEC studs will be dreamy...crossing my fingers you find a second!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
centralsquare|1313120520|2989083 said:
Would you trust an ebay seller that:

- has"Top Rated Seller" designation by ebay; this is defined as ebay as:
->Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
-> Ships items quickly
-> Has earned a track record of excellent service

- 100% positive feedback from >500 sales in the past 12 months and over 2500 in total

- they answer emails (though they seem like they are overselling their items in their response..."it's the best diamond you've ever seen")

- I see a variety of buyers in their history, so the buyers seem legit

- offers 7 day return policy

- variety of pictures, including real life photos (I think i recognize the same hand in other photos in their stone buy not sure)

If I buy via PayPal would I be protected if I'm still scammed? What is ebay Buyer Protection?
PayPal's 'buyer protection' is usually worse than the protection that comes directly from your credit card company if they were using a 'real' merchant bank. As a buyer, I actually count paypal as a problem, not a feature, especially if we're talking about an overseas seller.

7 day return is actually a little light, especially if it includes shipping time. Make sure you understand when the 7 days starts and when it ends. If you're planning on getting an independent appraisal (and if it's a significant amount of money you should) get your appointment early. Some of the skilled appraisers are pretty busy and you can't just drop in. Get on the schedule even before the merchandise arrives.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, very helpful! If I pay with PayPal but PayPal just charges my credit card...then I would be protect by my credit card??? Not sure. The 7 days is the window that I would need to contact the seller to inform of the return.

Thanks for the heads up on an appointment!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
centralsquare|1313253449|2990076 said:
Thank you, very helpful! If I pay with PayPal but PayPal just charges my credit card...then I would be protect by my credit card??? Not sure. The 7 days is the window that I would need to contact the seller to inform of the return.

Yes, and you have some protetion from your issuing credit card company as well. The problem is that paypal knows your bank account number and if they decide to side with the seller in a dispute, you have agreed to let them ding your account directly as part of your 'customer agreement' with paypal. With most credit card disputes, the decision is driven by YOUR issuing credit card company, and they have a certain interest in keeping you happy. In the case of Payapal deals, it resides with THEM. If you otherwise trust the dealer, I wouldn't count this as a deal killer and only bring it up because you asked. Paypal 'buyer protection', in my opinion, is worth less than zero.

Is it 7 days from the day you agree to the purchase, the day you pay, the day they ship, or the day your receive it?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1313258185|2990120 said:
centralsquare|1313253449|2990076 said:

Yes, and you have some protetion from your issuing credit card company as well. The problem is that paypal knows your bank account number and if they decide to side with the seller in a dispute, you have agreed to let them ding your account directly as part of your 'customer agreement' with paypal. With most credit card disputes, the decision is driven by YOUR issuing credit card company, and they have a certain interest in keeping you happy. In the case of Payapal deals, it resides with THEM. If you otherwise trust the dealer, I wouldn't count this as a deal killer and only bring it up because you asked. Paypal 'buyer protection', in my opinion, is worth less than zero.

Is it 7 days from the day you agree to the purchase, the day you pay, the day they ship, or the day your receive it?

Thanks for spelling out the details about PayPay...they do seem to make it so easy and generous! It's 7 days from receiving the item. So I guess PayPal/credit card can protect me if the seller doesn't ship it (which I think is unlikely given their history). And the 7 days protects me in the event it doesn't appraise to my satisfaction. The stones are certified. Would an appraiser be able to appraise stones if they are set in a ring (it's a 5 stone step cut)?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Any appraiser worth the title will have no problem appraising things in the setting but by all means ask them when you shop for an appraiser. I look forward to hearing how it works out.
:appl:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Now I just need to get up the courage to pull the trigger!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1313264017|2990179 said:
Any appraiser worth the title will have no problem appraising things in the setting but by all means ask them when you shop for an appraiser. I look forward to hearing how it works out.
:appl:

Do you have a sense how much an appraisal of this type would cost? Also, since they are step cuts, how could I assess cut? They won't be able to tell me it's "Ideal" cut per se, right? How will I know?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
bump....curious about how the appraiser could assess cut if the step cut stones are set. Also, not sure how much the appraisal will cost (ballpark)? I'd appreciate any guidance!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results