shape
carat
color
clarity

ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
Just won this item on Ebay. I''m not sure what I think about it. But it was like 5 minutes til it was over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=110478713622&view=all&tid=0

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have to be very careful of iolite being sold as tanzanite on ebay. For the price, it seems highly suspect. It''s also very light in saturation and the prongs and workmanship are shoddily done. I wonder if it''s even gold. You didn''t pay a lot, but you should know what you''re getting.

m00sie

Rough_Rock
Trade
I have a feeling the ring will be gold plated, there are quite a few of those on ebay.

gnopals

Rough_Rock
Doesn''t look hopeful to be frank, if you''re lucky it could be silver.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I cant get the link to open...it says the losting has been removed?

I see ALOT of tanzanite rings from China on ebay going for 20-60$. 99% are fake. Most of the look like synthetic spinel to me, but I am sure they use iolite as well. If you paid less then 60$ and its from china, then I would bet it is something else.

My mom ordered some onyx cufflinks from China for 10$. They were suppost to be sterling silver. What she got made me laugh. It was some type of metal with painted shiny white stuff on it and the onyx....get this...was black paint that had drips going in the edge and even had a hair in it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tanzanite (set into a ring) is normally £300 per carat (approximately $465) so you can see that the likelihood of this being a natural Tanzanite is extremely remote. Other clues are that there is an opportunity for the seller to list the stone as "natural" or "synthetic" etc and neither are stated.

As the seller has stated 14k white gold in two places I would assume that this is a metal coated with 14k white gold. There''s no evidence of a hallmark on the shank although I appreciate you can''t see all the way around.

Put it this way, for what you''ve paid, you''ve got a large looking piece of costume jewellery. Don''t fret about it but just enjoy it.

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
I''m really only hopeful thats its gold. I don''t really like the stone style and such. I''m just hopeful that it''s actually gold. I''ll let everyone know what I find out. Where can you go to find out?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
once its delivered check on the inside of the band. You should see a 14k stamp in it. No stamp generally means its not gold.

If you have a regular jeweler you go to, you can have them check it over as well.

-A

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly - you get what you pay for. Even on the ebay. I prefer to check "buy it now" section. For a ring like this, to start at 0.99 would be unusual. I also prefer to buy from US or European sellers, just because it may be harder to return your item back to Thailand or China. But if you are angry enough and persistent enough, you can almost always make the seller take it back - or exchange for the real thing.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I think the stone looks more like a Rose de France Amethyst rather than a Tanzanite... a decent fun ring though.

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I was trying to figure out what kind of stone that could be...but amethyst sounds right! Id say a pale amethyst, or even a purple CZ. It doesnt look like iolite to me, and even iolite that size would cost way more then 11$.

I doubt its gold. I had a chinese necklace sent to me that was suppost to be 14kt. It was even stamped 14kt gold. I sold it on ebay about a year later when trying to make some money, and ended up with a negitive mark on my account because the buyer tested it and it was plated junk. So dont trust stamps...ALWAYS get it checked. The stamps are not hard to get.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I saw a news show one time on 60 minutes or one of those type shows. They went down Canal Street in NYC and tested a bunch of "gold". All of it marked 14kt or higher, and NONE of tested out. Most was either 10 kt, plated or not even gold. God only knows what''s being sold on eBay as real gold.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene and tropicgal, what both of you is saying is very true. I get stuff on ebay checked by my jewler because its a necessary step there''s no exception to that.

Everyone isn''t a cheat on ebay and from a trusted seller, seeing that stamp can provide at least some information as to what the metal says it is.

But flipside is that as with any type of jewelry on ebay, having it checked should be the rule and not the exception.

-A

abrooke22

Rough_Rock
I figure as soon as I get the ring. I''m going to go get it checked out. If its not what it says it is, I guess it''ll pick up dust. Its not really even worth it to return at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results