shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay tips on buying colored stones and jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since the topic was started in another thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

Toolhaus.org is your best friend to discover what the negative feedback looks like. Feedback ladies, FEEDBACK is going to be your best friend. Even read the positive feedback because people will also leave negative comments there as well.

Check completed listings to see if item pictures appear more than once or if it looks like things were purchased and returned.

If a picture looks too good to be true, than it probably is, especially if the price is really low. After a while you can spot doctored pictures a mile away.

Make sure there's a good return policy!!

A lot of sellers forge certs and charge a fortune for them. I would be leary of that.

Be very careful of stones that are typically treated or synthesized like rubies, sapphires, emeralds, spinels, amethyst. If you know it's treated or synthetic, fine, but that should be disclosed CLEARLY!!

Example of buyer beware:
I was interested in a sapphire so I emailed the seller and asked her if the sapphire was truly untreated, could she provide a cert.

Answer: Sure I can give you a cert for an extra $50, the sapphire is not treated

Response: Will the cert say the sapphire is untreated?

No response back. Probably a treated sapphire (maybe even beryllium treated) but thinks that I'm a stupid buyer that's just happy with a cert that states it's a natural stone. Puhleese!!

List more ebay tips here!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t yet recieved a stone other than the one that was pictured, but... if the item description doesn''t state that the picture is of the actual stone that you will be recieving, don''t be afraid to ask!

Watch for backgound and lighting that are used to enhance the color in a stone, making it appear more saturated etc. than it is.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally I avoid:

Sellers with lower then 100% feedback. Some exceptions are made. I read thru the feedback to see if there is gushing over the top feedback on low price items and very little or none on high priced ones. Hmmm...

Sellers with a lot of feedback and therefore experience who can only give approximate weights and clarities without measurements. I know they have measuring calipers and loupes, so why not use them? Hmmm......

No return policy- NO SALE!

I give a quick question to see if the seller replies and to gauge the attitude of the seller.

I once saw an incredible rare stone with a NY lab Cert . So I emailed the lab, sent pic of the cert, and the reply was "Please contact the seller, this is not our lab certificate". Always check if there is bigger money involved.

I love private US sellers reselling a stone. They are usually very truthful.

Regards,
Lisa

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 11:42:26 AM
Author: LisaRN
Generally I avoid:

Sellers with lower then 100% feedback. Some exceptions are made. I read thru the feedback to see if there is gushing over the top feedback on low price items and very little or none on high priced ones. Hmmm...

Sellers with a lot of feedback and therefore experience who can only give approximate weights and clarities without measurements. I know they have measuring calipers and loupes, so why not use them? Hmmm......

No return policy- NO SALE!

I give a quick question to see if the seller replies and to gauge the attitude of the seller.

I once saw an incredible rare stone with a NY lab Cert . So I emailed the lab, sent pic of the cert, and the reply was 'Please contact the seller, this is not our lab certificate'. Always check if there is bigger money involved.

I love private US sellers reselling a stone. They are usually very truthful.

Regards,
Lisa
Yes, that's a good tip. I like to find sellers that have good feedback on high priced merchandise, and not all they're selling is low end stuff (even if they have high priced items). I also ask sellers questions to gage their attitude and response time.

I also don't care for lab certs and memos that state something like "First National Gemological Lab of Bermuda" (???????). If you're unsure about a lab cert or memo, than google the lab and see what comes up. We all kind of know the major gem labs like GIA, AGTA, GIT, GRS, but there are some lesser known ones as well which might be reputable. If you end up googling the lab in questiont, and nothing comes up, that's a warning sign. I also don't pay attention to stone appraised or certed by the vendor themselves. Okay, that's like me trying to sell you a used car, and I tell you it works perfectly.

When buying untreated stones, make sure the lab cert states it's untreated and it's a reputable lab cert. Like my example above, it's not good enough for a cert or memo to state "natural stone." That's confusing because a stone can be natural AND treated. I can buy natural lead glass filled rubies every day of the week.

Bottom line though, know what you are buying. If you are trying to buy a spinel and you know absolutely nothing about spinels, then I would suggest you learn more about them from here and other references before you try to get one.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I don''t spend over $100 on ebay gemstones. If I have more than that for a gem, I''d go to one of the reliable sites that are often discussed here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually some of my best finds ever were when I spent over $100 on an ebay stone. How about a gorgeous .92 point rbc yellow champagne diamond that would cost over a thousand dollars anywhere else, but I got it for $250. I think that's where the real money is saved, when you spend more. However, you have more to lose as well. You really really have to know what you're doing though to be spending money on high priced items on ebay. My 6 carat violet tourmaline was $300, and I've seen the same exact color on vendor websites for that price per carat!!

I scored so many things on ebay that if they went to retail, OMG!!

I just got my heavy diamond encrusted rose gold LOGR three stone mount that I won for $255 dollars. Wait till you guys see it. I'm posting pics tonight. I would never ever be able to afford these gorgeous jewels and stones if it wasn't for ebay. That being said, the vendor sites offer significant savings over retail stores as well. I think some of the gem faceters that post here have some great prices, although every time I want a stone from one of them, it's already been sold!!
face14.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I buy diamonds and settings for more than $100, but they''re a little easier to assess. I just haven''t gotten that brave on gemstones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely now stay away from rubies, sapphires, emeralds and spinels on ebay - unless the treatment is disclosed and I don''t mind buying a $10 lead glass filled ruby. If I''m going to be spending a lot of that type of gem, I rather go to the vendors listed here. Some of those same vendors also sell on ebay, but they''re not giving these stones away!

I think some of the best finds on ebay include tourmaline. It''s typically not a treated gemstone, except with gentle heat, and the color is natural (most of the time). I also think it''s a great place to buy diamonds and antique diamonds.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
It makes my head spin with the number of beautiful antique diamonds I''ve gotten on ebay! It makes hubby''s head spin too, but for completely different reasons!
3.gif

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this thread was started because of comments I posted concerning a recent Ebay purchase I made from a seller whom had IMPECCABLE feedback. There were no red flags when I bought the stone until a friend of mine who I consider quite knowledgable when it comes to gemstones sent me a link to a gemology forum. It was one of those cases, if it is too good to be true, it is because it is. I did buy it knowing that I can return it and it is from a USA seller. When I received the stone, I politely pointed out to him that I was concerned that it is synthetic.......... He never argued otherwise, just gave me a very short and to the point email reply to send it back with 100% refund??? Now I am not one to argue, but the fact that the seller credit me for the full amount including shipping fees.....................I get the impression that he does not want me to out him........
14.gif
I have yet to give him feedback.... still contemplating what to say. I purchased A 22.45ct Madiera Citrine, VVs clarity , listed as a Natural stone. What I have learned from the link is that there are alot of Large sized MC and Amethysts that are sold in the VVS or higher clarity range that are actually man-made synthetics called hydrothermal quartz. Upon receipt of this stone, It was flawless to the naked eye and there was no color zoning. They do have bread crumb type inclusions that look like popcorn if you look under a microscope/loupe. It is a very pretty SYNTHETIC for the price that I paid. If this was a real stone, it would easily cost 4x+ more than I paid...which was stated in the link.

I know that this thread is for Ebay gemstone buying tips...... So alot of the comments that have been posted are generally my rule of thumb. I do not spend an excessive amount on gemstones (I only paid $17 for the MC), I only buy from sellers that have good feedback along with a great return policy, and I definately won''t buy a high dollar gemstone if I have to return it overseas. If the pictures looked doctored or if they only have one picture.......... then I stay away from those gemstones too. Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing and therefore they will take several pictures...and sometimes a video as an added bonus!
3.gif

Here is one of the vendors pictures of the Madiera Citrine.

3898_1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are lots of synthetic amethyst and other quartz stones on ebay. I do not buy amethyst on ebay anymore. I did at one time many years ago, and found some incredible deals, and I knew the stones were natural because of zoning, and inclusions, but that's another stone I really watch out for. If you see a crystal clear "perfect color" giant amethyst or citrine on ebay, I'd stay away, unless you know the dealer is someone reputable. Lots of synthetic corundum (sapphire, ruby) and spinel on ebay as well.

I mentioned earlier that tourmaline is a good buy on ebay, but I forgot to also mention that some of the stones you think are paraiba tourmaline are the new paraiba topaz. I've seen that going around as well. It's possible that lots of coated topaz in various is going as tourmaline as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should give the dealer who sold you the synthetic citrine a negative feedback. It seems too many are getting around the feedback system by "bribing" people not to talk. Perhaps say something like

Dealer gave me a refund, but the stone was synthetic.

That way he can't reply back as some of them do, "gave buyer a full refund." That makes them look like they're being wronged, when it was actually you, the innocent consumer that was being tricked.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do feel that I have to say something in the feedback. I may just give him a neutral and point out that the stone is a possible synthetic since I don''t really know for sure... I am by no means a gemstone expert. I hate that ebay sellers use the word Paraiba so often in alot of the gemstones being sold. Paraiba Apatite, Paraiba zircon, Paraiba tourmaline......... the only true Paraiba tourmaline is from Brazil and since those mines have been depleted, it makes them costly and rare......IF they are from Brazil. Then you have African Paraibas...an Afghanistan.... but the most beautiful are Brazillian I am told........ IF they are actually from Brazil.... then that opens the can of worms getting a reputable report proving the origin... etc... Sigh, there is so much to learn about gemstones and then adding Ebay into the equation can make one nutso. That is why I try to keep it simple by not spending so much on Ebay gemstones. I don''t put out what I can''t afford to lose.....

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are a few vendors on ebay that i''d trust...but only a few and most of those i know through this or other gem forums. it is difficult enough to assess a stone in person much less via a picture which is more than likely doctored. additionally, many of the ebay vendors are no more knowledgeable than i am and have probably not even thought to ask certain questions from the people they buy from. others are just unscrupulous. buy ebay gem stones because you like stones and like to play with them....and they are educational. it is a great way to see what people are talking about when it comes to extinction, windows, poor cut, saturation, etc. the buyer that actually saves $ and makes a great score on a stone is very very few and far between. maurice who used to participate here lots is/was one of those: however, he was very well educated re stones and took the time to develop relationships with certain vendors.

the above advice that if it looks to good to be true, then it is. however, one has to be educated in the first place to know what is good and what prices good stones sell for.

movie zombie

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I certainly echo everything that has been said in this thread so far.

One other aspect to the whole e-bay purchasing saga is Paypal. Now, maybe I'm naive, but I truly believed that if you purchase something using Paypal from e-bay (or anyone else) then you would be 100% protected. Admittedly, I never read the small print.

What's that latin phrase I'm thinking of? Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"

One other tip I read, I think it came from Ed Bristol at Wildfish Gems, but not sure. Look closely at the colour of the tweezers holding a stone. If they are light coloured then chances are the stone will show up darker and vice versa. Don't quote me on that one, because my memory is a bit hazy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw that ruby ring saga a while ago. That''s just terrible. I have a list of sellers that I like, and who I feel safe with. I know Maurice, he and I used to buy a lot from this one dealer that''s no longer on ebay, but we both scored some amazing deals with him. Again, I''ve been thrilled with 90% of my purchases from ebay, the other 10% were not expensive, so it wasn''t a huge loss.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 6:17:36 PM
Author: Gailey
I certainly echo everything that has been said in this thread so far.

One other aspect to the whole e-bay purchasing saga is Paypal. Now, maybe I''m naive, but I truly believed that if you purchase something using Paypal from e-bay (or anyone else) then you would be 100% protected. Admittedly, I never read the small print.

Personally, I haven''t had a bad experience using Paypal, but a poster in another forum had an experience that has made me very wary and I urge everyone to read the following thread:

http://betterthandiamond.com/discussion/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/432411#Post432411

What''s that latin phrase I''m thinking of? Caveat emptor - ''Let the buyer beware''

One other tip I read, I think it came from Ed Bristol at Wildfish Gems, but not sure. Look closely at the colour of the tweezers holding a stone. If they are light coloured then chances are the stone will show up darker and vice versa. Don''t quote me on that one, because my memory is a bit hazy.
That''s actually true. If the tweezers are also the same hue as the gem, buyer beware!!

amber_312

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/14/2008 6:32:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I saw that ruby ring saga a while ago. That''s just terrible. I have a list of sellers that I like, and who I feel safe with. I know Maurice, he and I used to buy a lot from this one dealer that''s no longer on ebay, but we both scored some amazing deals with him. Again, I''ve been thrilled with 90% of my purchases from ebay, the other 10% were not expensive, so it wasn''t a huge loss.

tourmaline_lover, who would you recommend as reputable dealers on ebay for gemstones? I trust your opinion!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2008 11:35:47 PM
Author: amber_312

Date: 11/14/2008 6:32:54 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

tourmaline_lover, who would you recommend as reputable dealers on ebay for gemstones? I trust your opinion!
Don''t give me that much credit. I''m always leary of every ebay seller, even the ones I trust. I usually try to weed out the good merchandise from the bad. For example, LOGR quality really varies, and you need to figure out which settings to stay clear of. Some sellers sell terrible gemstones at their cheap level, and some awesome ones when you pay more. Here''s a thread I started a while back where I, as well as others, gave some positive and negative feedback on various sellers.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ebay-vendors-that-youve-been-happy-unhappy-with.98567/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results