shape
carat
color
clarity

eBay setting arrived today: review and pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Well, my ebay setting arrived today. I won the auction for a yellow gold setting, and paid an extra $15 for it to be made in white gold and sized. Remake and shipping took 9 days - not too bad. The auction stated G-H, VS quality, and I did not upgrade (in fact, there wasn''t an option). This, and the next 3 pics were taken in my lightbox, so given that the lighting is diffused, there isn''t much sparkle and everything looks a little dull. In fact, that''s my overall assessment of this ring: just a little sleepy. I don''t think these are VS stones at all, but I plan to take them to my jeweler for his assessment tomorrow. Following the lightbox shots, I''ll post some with regular lighting (so hang on for lots of pics).

ebaylbox1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Lightbox pic 2

ebaylbox2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Lightbox pic 3

ebaylbox3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Back view in lightbox.

ebaylbox4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here it is next to my pink sapphire ring which has G,VS stones. You can see the difference.

ebayring2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Again, it looks more grey next to my sapphire ring''s melee.

ebayring4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
One more comparison.

ebayring3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And here''s the second issue: the auction stated that it would fit a 7.5mm - 8mm stone, but when I measured, the inside is only 6.5mm. I don''t see how a 7.5mm stone could possibly fit, even if it''s seated really high. The only 6.5mm stone I have is a cz, which I dropped in just for size. You can see that it will fit perfectly and not cover much (if any) of the halo.

ebay with cz1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another shot.

ebay with cz2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Same cz, but you can see that even this 6.5mm stone won''t drop that low without some adjustment to the prongs. However, that''s probably necessary, so they can notch the prongs.

ebay with cz4.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here it is with a 7mm blue topaz. I like my stones to be set really low, so I don''t even know if it will fit.

ebay with btopaz1.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Another with the blue topaz. This was a super-cheap stone that I ripped out of one of my earrings. Hardly worth the settings they were in, but still keep them just to play around.

ebay with btopaz2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Here you can see how high it sits.

ebay with btopaz3.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
And with an amethyst that certainly won''t fit, but I like the color possibility.

ebay with amethyst.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Last one. I still don''t know what to do with the setting. I''m definitely going to let the seller know I''m unhappy, but I guess I''ll wait to make a final decision until after I see my jeweler. It''s not the worst ring I''ve seen, but it could be better. Plus, shipping was free, but if I return it, they''ll deduct the price of shipping, and who knows how much that was since it came from China.

ebay am2.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...maybe re-sell it if you''re not happy? That might be more economically beneficial than trying to return it.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, hadn''t thought about selling it. Frankly, I don''t think I''d like the hassle, and would probably just keep it for a daughter.

What do you guys think, is it as bad as I make it out to be? Do the diamonds look like mop water?

joflier

Ideal_Rock
For me, its hard to tell, because pictures can be deceiving. It doesn''t look too bad to me, but you have to be happy with it. And your the one looking at it in person. Personally, I really love the style of the setting. I think it looks really beautiful with your amethyst!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 6:32:37 PM
Author: cellentani
Hmm, hadn't thought about selling it. Frankly, I don't think I'd like the hassle, and would probably just keep it for a daughter.

What do you guys think, is it as bad as I make it out to be? Do the diamonds look like mop water?
Cellentani,
He frequently has typos in his listing. The last auction I won with VS diamonds already stated in the listing, I had him confirm by email that they were truly VS diamonds. There were other times I was interested in a ring with default VS diamonds stated in the listing, and I asked him if they were truly VS, and he said it was SI, and he was sorry for the typo. He also sometimes makes mistakes, not often, with calibrated size measurements.

I don't think this setting can hold a candle to your other one, so I think you should return it. Returning it is easy if you're in the U.S. since the return address is there as well. Just email him for the specifics. I would make him give you a refund for postage to return it though since it was advertised as VS diamonds, and those are clearly not VS diamonds. He might even remake it for you no extra charge with VS diamonds. It's worth asking.

May I ask if you won it for a really low price, because those look like I-clarity diamonds, and not SI, but perhaps it's the pictures. I know that people who win his auctions way below the BIN price can sometimes get less than SI diamonds.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty, I especially like the blue topaz with it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous with the blue topaz!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty anyway, and if you didn''t pay a whole lot for it (if what you paid is what it would actually be worth with SI or I stones), then it could always be nice for a daughter or a fun ring. I think it would look amazing with that topaz, and a good jeweler might be able to make it work for that stone.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It looks very pretty! I can see what you mean about it being not quite so sparkly- compared to your other ring. But, it still looks like a nice setting, and if the price was right, you can set a lovely stone in there and it will look fantastic! How do the stones perform in different lighting? Is there ANY life to them? (More than what is seen in the light box?)

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your comments joflier, Diamond*Dana, AprilBaby, MonkeyPie, and Tuckins1. I really do like the design of the setting, and if I end up having to keep it, I will probably just set one of my cheapy stones in it. I wouldn''t want to get a gorgeous, high-quality stone and set it in something like this. I''ll post pics of whatever I decide to do.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 6:48:05 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Cellentani,
He frequently has typos in his listing. The last auction I won with VS diamonds already stated in the listing, I had him confirm by email that they were truly VS diamonds. There were other times I was interested in a ring with default VS diamonds stated in the listing, and I asked him if they were truly VS, and he said it was SI, and he was sorry for the typo. He also sometimes makes mistakes, not often, with calibrated size measurements.

I don''t think this setting can hold a candle to your other one, so I think you should return it. Returning it is easy if you''re in the U.S. since the return address is there as well. Just email him for the specifics. I would make him give you a refund for postage to return it though since it was advertised as VS diamonds, and those are clearly not VS diamonds. He might even remake it for you no extra charge with VS diamonds. It''s worth asking.

May I ask if you won it for a really low price, because those look like I-clarity diamonds, and not SI, but perhaps it''s the pictures. I know that people who win his auctions way below the BIN price can sometimes get less than SI diamonds.
Hi TL, I was hoping you''d chime in. I also think most of the diamonds are more like I-clarity
14.gif
, not SI, but want my jeweler to confirm it before I fire off my email to the seller. And yes, I did get it way below his BIN auction for the same ring; including the $15 to size and change gold, I paid $146. I know it''s a steal, but I still feel like I got a bad deal. Please tell me again that the LOGR legacy (8x8mm) is much better quality. I need to hear that.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I wrote the seller, telling him that he misrepresented the size of the mounting and the quality of the diamonds, and I got this response:

"Dear buyers, if you are not satisfied can return it to us, we MOUNT is suitable for this 7.5-8MM round, our technical staff definitely have the ability to install 7.5-8MM round stones, we can for you free installation,
please ship to my office;
Wu yongjian
Room #501 3 stairs 2 Buildding No.106 west fuhua Rd,Panyu distrist ,guangzhou 511400 China #13928861522 thanks."

He says nothing about the crappy diamonds. I''m feeling worse about this transaction.
7.gif
And what kind of address is that - stairs??!!

tcm

Rough_Rock
My guess is that the "stairs" refers to the second stairway (or entryway) in a large building.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi cellentani

i agree with the other posters who said they look like I clarity stones. very grey. even something for $146 isn''t a bargain if you''re never going to wear it. i really wonder, tho, how easy it will be to get your money back.

i''m at a point in life where i''ll only wear jewelry that makes me happy and that i like the look of, so if i came by this ring, and felt i couldn''t return it, i''d probably stick a CZ in it and give it to the first niece/daughter/child of a close friend who turned 16. when i was 16, i would have thought this was FABULOUS!

great setting, by the way - just the stones that let you down.
7.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 6:14:54 PM
Author: cellentani
And with an amethyst that certainly won''t fit, but I like the color possibility.

I''m loving the amethyst with your setting. It definitely stands out!
18.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
If you are really unhappy with it I''d guess you paid about $146 too much... I''m sorry you didn''t totally fall in love with it.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results