shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay seller cancels item..

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
After yesterdays incident with an amethysts authenticity, I decided to inquire about another piece today. I love citrines [as some may have seen from my dragon bracelet post a few weeks ago]. I won't link the original ebay listing because its gone now but the title stated it was an antique heirloom seed pearl Edwardian pin. I then sent email to the seller asking if they'd had the stone or the metal tested, and where they'd acquired the piece. And this was their response:

"Hello, I did not have the stone tested. I do feel that it is a genuine citrine, but I really can't guarantee that. Therefore, I ended the auction. Thanks for your interest."

I was shocked they cancelled the auction. Almost seemed a little suspish' to me. I'm not on an ebay witch hunt for scammers. Just thought this was an interesting occurrence to share today.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
If this helps... I think a lot depends on the seller too. For example, I've sold plenty of jewelry and other stuff that I no longer wanted, at bargain prices.

I didn't mind being asked a question but I did get put off whenever I got the feeling that someone wanted to "play hardball" when the reason I was selling at low prices on ebay in the first place was because I didn't want to bother with it or be bothered with it too much.

For ex., I would not want to get an inexpensive stone like citrine tested or anything like that and may not want to deal with a buyer who seemed like they expected it. Just another possibility here and with incomplete info so fwiw.

Last edited:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think a lot depends on the seller too. For example, as an individual I've sold plenty of jewelry and other stuff that I no longer wanted, at bargain prices.

I didn't mind a question or two but I did get put off whenever I got the idea that someone wanted to "play hardball" when the reason I was selling at low prices on ebay in the first place was because I didn't want to bother with it or be bothered with it too much. Just another possibility here and with incomplete info so fwiw.

Agreed, I would do that as well with pieces as a seller in the past. I just thought it wonky that if you advertised something so specific then closed the auction because one person asked a question about authenticity, it was .. suspish. Just a weird ebay Saturday. All they had to do was say it wasn't tested, and it was acquired by means of x, have a good day.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sellers can be wary.
It’s become a big problem on eBay where buyers get an item, declare to eBay its fake or not as described and get their money back and then send back an empty package. AND the seller gets “pinged” on their ebay account which then means their selling fees go up, future access to buyer money gets postponed for up to 21 days, a few too many pings and seller privileges get rescinded permanently.
It’s also possible the seller has decided to have the gem tested and will relist again when that is confirmed.
I was once “black listed” by an eBay seller ie unable to bid or buy on any of their items just for asking if the leather jacket was natural or synthetic leather.
Worse is when a seller cancels the sale after you've won an auction or done “buy it now”.
I sometimes sell on eBay. Because I have 100% feedback I once got “blackmailed” by a buyer who said they would leave bad feedback if I didn’t refund them because I had said the gems where heart shaped when they weren’t. So I refunded their money and then got back an empty box. There was nothing I could do.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sellers can be wary.
It’s become a big problem on eBay where buyers get an item, declare to eBay its fake or not as described and get their money back and then send back an empty package. AND the seller gets “pinged” on their ebay account which then means their selling fees go up, future access to buyer money gets postponed for up to 21 days, a few too many pings and seller privileges get rescinded permanently.
It’s also possible the seller has decided to have the gem tested and will relist again when that is confirmed.
I was once “black listed” by an eBay seller ie unable to bid or buy on any of their items just for asking if the leather jacket was natural or synthetic leather.
Worse is when a seller cancels the sale after you've won an auction or done “buy it now”.
I sometimes sell on eBay. Because I have 100% feedback I once got “blackmailed” by a buyer who said they would leave bad feedback if I didn’t refund them because I had said the gems where heart shaped when they weren’t. So I refunded their money and then got back an empty box. There was nothing I could do.

omgggggggggggg I had no idea something like that even existed!!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Sellers can be wary.

Did you end up reporting the buyer? I’m so sorry that happened!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Did you end up reporting the buyer? I’m so sorry that happened!

Not at all...because all I did was send a note about an item I was interested in. Who knows why she cancelled the auction. I hadn't even bid it yet. BUT I just told my husband about the **itty things sellers are doing per @Bron357 's note above and honestly what a crappy thing to do.. I never thought of it from that side of the table. There are risks on both sides but Ive never encountered a fraudulent buyer yet when I was the seller.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Not at all...because all I did was send a note about an item I was interested in. Who knows why she cancelled the auction. I hadn't even bid it yet. BUT I just told my husband about the **itty things sellers are doing per @Bron357 's note above and honestly what a crappy thing to do.. I never thought of it from that side of the table. There are risks on both sides but Ive never encountered a fraudulent buyer yet when I was the seller.

Oops what I meant was to ask Bron if she reported the buyer when she was sent an empty box. eBay is very buyer-centric which is good if you buy but can be tough when you sell and have legitimate problem with the buyer.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops what I meant was to ask Bron if she reported the buyer when she was sent an empty box. eBay is very buyer-centric which is good if you buy but can be tough when you sell and have legitimate problem with the buyer.

No, couldn’t prove that I received an empty box.
Wasn’t expecting to receive an empty box!
Ebay only requires that the item be returned “tracked” which it was because I paid for return shipping. So I was also out of pocket x 2 shipping and the bracelet.
worth $120.
These days a seller is also “out” the PayPal fees as PayPal now keeps their fee even if a sale is cancelled!
And the one time I had to cancel a sale, eBay kept their fee on the basis they thought I was being “underhanded and was doing the transaction off eBay”. I wasn’t.
In all the years I’ve had watches I have NEVER dropped a watch. The watch I sold I dropped and broke it so I had to cancel the sale. So I was “out” $80 to eBay for their fee and then another $100 to have the watch repaired. Still have the watch!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
No, couldn’t prove that I received an empty box.
Wasn’t expecting to receive an empty box!
Ebay only requires that the item be returned “tracked” which it was because I paid for return shipping. So I was also out of pocket x 2 shipping and the bracelet.
worth $120.
These days a seller is also “out” the PayPal fees as PayPal now keeps their fee even if a sale is cancelled!
And the one time I had to cancel a sale, eBay kept their fee on the basis they thought I was being “underhanded and was doing the transaction off eBay”. I wasn’t.
In all the years I’ve had watches I have NEVER dropped a watch. The watch I sold I dropped and broke it so I had to cancel the sale. So I was “out” $80 to eBay for their fee and then another $100 to have the watch repaired. Still have the watch!

So annoying! I’m an eBay seller too. I haven’t had anything that bad happen, though I don’t refund until I get the item back. But I have had plenty of non-paying buyers. I miss the old days where both sides could leave feedback.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So annoying! I’m an eBay seller too. I haven’t had anything that bad happen, though I don’t refund until I get the item back. But I have had plenty of non-paying buyers. I miss the old days where both sides could leave feedback.

I have not sold on ebay in a very long time though. Both sides can no longer leave feedback?!?!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have not sold on ebay in a very long time though. Both sides can no longer leave feedback?!?!
Only the buyer can leave negative feedback - the seller cannot leave negative feedback - only positive - even if the buyer does not pay. It has been that way for years now. They did it because of course you would have a buyer who would leave negative feedback for a product and the seller would automatically leave negative feedback for the buyer in retaliation. So I get the rationale sort of but it sucks to not be able to warn people that the buyer didn’t pay.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results